Are the chances of getting taken on as a biomedical science trainee good or sheit?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by John the Baptist, Oct 9, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Yeah probably good.

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, probably sheit.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. If anyone is in a good mood and knows about this, some insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Student Medical Technicians are numerically few in the grand scheme, but as long as you meet the academic threshold and successfully complete all other standard elements of Royal Navy Rating selection, you have as much chance as any other applicant equally qualified.

I'd bet most serving matelots aren't even aware we've started taking on med techs again, to be honest and as numbers are few, with little by way of seagoing billets, many will serve an entire career blithely unaware of their existence.

3. Thanks a lot for the information. It seems the role isn't on most peoples radar these days.

Cheers

4. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, we stopped recruiting med techs into the RN for best part of a decade. Not sure if the RN website has been updated, but the academic entry standards for student BioMed Scientist changed recently and are are follows: 5 GCSEs including Maths, Eng Lang & Science, 300 UCAS Points to include at least A-Level B in Biology/Human Biology. Chemistry at A/AS level is desirable, but not essential.

Mature Students (21+) : BTEC, Access & other:
    • Access to Science for mature students considered on an individual basis
    • BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science: DD plus A-Level Biology at grade B
    • BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science: D*DD
    • BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma: D plus two A-Levels, including Biology at grades AB
    • Students who have taken BTEC qualifications as a first option and who achieved five or more GCSEs (including Maths and English) at grade C or above. Additional A-Level requirements listed above must also be met

5. Ninja_Stoker

6. I am just above that at 304 UCAS points. I did the IB not GCSEs/A levels but it did include maths standard and biology advanced. Plus on top i got relevant life science BSc/MSc, although i'm not sure how much those are considered. I read they do a top up program if quals are relevant enough and IBMS assessed, so i am currently getting them assessed by the IBMS.

• Like Like x 1

7. And I thought I was a PO Pinky :) little did I know

8. Is that a telly tubby? :)

• Funny Funny x 1

9. That's the one, fixing your bloody radios after you spilt cheesy hammy eggy over it :)

10. It's not easy trying to eat your in flight meal while flying a helicopter you know! :)