Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are the chances of getting taken on as a biomedical science trainee good or sheit?

Are the chances of getting taken on as a biomedical science trainee good or sheit?

• Yeah probably good.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No, probably sheit.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Student Medical Technicians are numerically few in the grand scheme, but as long as you meet the academic threshold and successfully complete all other standard elements of Royal Navy Rating selection, you have as much chance as any other applicant equally qualified.

I'd bet most serving matelots aren't even aware we've started taking on med techs again, to be honest and as numbers are few, with little by way of seagoing billets, many will serve an entire career blithely unaware of their existence.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks a lot for the information. It seems the role isn't on most peoples radar these days.

Cheers
Yep, we stopped recruiting med techs into the RN for best part of a decade. Not sure if the RN website has been updated, but the academic entry standards for student BioMed Scientist changed recently and are are follows: 5 GCSEs including Maths, Eng Lang & Science, 300 UCAS Points to include at least A-Level B in Biology/Human Biology. Chemistry at A/AS level is desirable, but not essential.

Mature Students (21+) : BTEC, Access & other:
• Access to Science for mature students considered on an individual basis
• BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science: DD plus A-Level Biology at grade B
• BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Applied Science: D*DD
• BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma: D plus two A-Levels, including Biology at grades AB
• Students who have taken BTEC qualifications as a first option and who achieved five or more GCSEs (including Maths and English) at grade C or above. Additional A-Level requirements listed above must also be met

John the Baptist

Midshipman
I am just above that at 304 UCAS points. I did the IB not GCSEs/A levels but it did include maths standard and biology advanced. Plus on top i got relevant life science BSc/MSc, although i'm not sure how much those are considered. I read they do a top up program if quals are relevant enough and IBMS assessed, so i am currently getting them assessed by the IBMS.

Student Medical Technicians are numerically few in the grand scheme, but as long as you meet the academic threshold and successfully complete all other standard elements of Royal Navy Rating selection, you have as much chance as any other applicant equally qualified.

I'd bet most serving matelots aren't even aware we've started taking on med techs again, to be honest and as numbers are few, with little by way of seagoing billets, many will serve an entire career blithely unaware of their existence.

And I thought I was a PO Pinky :) little did I know

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ISeeThreeShips Better Chances Of Getting Back In If You've Previously Served? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
I Chances of Getting Officer Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
R TMU for past bout of depression, what are my chances? Joining the Royal Navy 11
MoD_RSS UK Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government further boosts chances of UK receiving COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
C Chances of passing my medical?: previous mental health Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L Medically discharged at Raleigh - chances of rejoining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
A Accelerated Apprentice Selection Chances Joining the Royal Navy 2
E AA ET/ME Recruitment chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
T Have I messed up my chances of joining? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
TechFin The Chances of becoming an officer with only A-levels? The Fleet Air Arm 19
S Medical board chances of being discharged after just having an op Blogs 1
Onestep Chances of comando aricrew The Fleet Air Arm 36
P 53yo female-= what's the realistic chances of being able to join RFA 7
J Chances of becoming lightning II pilot? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
southernbhoy96 Asthma chances need advice Health & Fitness 10
A Chances Of Selection Into BRNC for Pilot Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 51
C Medical chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
B F-35 Pilot chances? The Fleet Air Arm 18
J Selection Interview Success !!! Realistic chances of a commission ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B What the chances? RFA 4
N Realistically - what are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
O Fleet Air Arm chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
Ninja_Stoker How improve your chances of joining the Royal Navy - quicker than the rest. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
R Chances of changing from Warfare GS to Aircrew? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
P So many Newbies..Whats our chances??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
trelawney126 New Blow to Bliars chances of becomming EU President Current Affairs 15
T Wreath Claim - Has Boris scuppered chances of becoming PM The Gash Barge 3
GuyC What are my chances!? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
B could acute sciatica hinder my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
B What are my chances? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
L leaving it late-what are my chances Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Taztiff Crabs getting their feet wet? Current Affairs 5
MoD_RSS Game changers - getting our robots to speak with one voice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS In praise of red tape: getting regulation right MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Beat the rush by getting your MOT done this summer MoD News 0
4 Any tips for getting in the right frame of mind as a submariner? Joining the Royal Navy 19
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
K Previous broken bones, can they stop me getting in? Joining the Royal Navy 1
MoD_RSS Highways England’s pumps £85 million into getting people back on bikes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How our construction sites are getting ready for re-start MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Getting PPE to those who need it MoD News 0
P Getting in after messing up before? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
MoD_RSS Getting help if your business is in distress MoD News 0
J Getting a job after leaving rn Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Bad CO Real Life Getting In the Way Site Issues 82
MoD_RSS Getting Clear on Student Finance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Civil news: Getting paid first time MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Getting the right leadership is vital for patient safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Largest upgrade in a generation to workplace rights - getting work right for British workers and businesses MoD News 0