Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better do?

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by JaFAA, Mar 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm not in yet, but I was told a story by a lad at my work who's ex army, must be nearly 50 now.

He said his sergeant (or whoever's in charge) got them all into a tight circle and said, "right lads we're on 24 hour notice to go to the Falklands. Go get your stuff sorted so you're ready to go at any moment"

On the way to get ready, he heard a lot of lads saying things along the lines of "I didn't join up for this"

WTF??? Not that anyone would want to fight but it's what you choose to do as a job, should the occasion call for it.

I know this story's related to the army and is from quite a while ago, but I'm guessing there are people across the board who join up for all the wrong reasons...

2. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

The armed forces have always attracted large numbers from areas of high unemployment. This is why there are so many Scots, Welsh, Scousers and Geordies plus more than a few Irish in the ranks.
    Though many join initially to get employment the majority settle down to service life and enjoy the job. :p

3. My sister was at an RAF base when the Falklands kicked off. She said there was lads leaving their D.O.'s offices in tears 'cos they didn't want to go to war !

Having said that loads of people join up during an economical dowturn because there are no other jobs out there, doesn't make them a bad person for that :) I did and lasted 23 years, including Gulf war 2 (the sequel).

4. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

I agree, in part, with Slim. High numbers of people from areas of high unemployment gravitate towards the armed forces due to the stability, opprtunities, change of scenery etc.
    With regards to the post from the OP, this highlights the difference in mentality between those who join for financial stability and those who, while not exactly serving 'for Queen and country' (though some do), have a moral or patriotic reason for doing so.
    I believe both mindsets are justified in their reasons, though the numbers of people just seeking financial stability are only going to increase as the jobs in civvy street diminish. Recruitment and retention always do better during a recession..

5. I can't speak for anybody else, but I was one of Maggies Millions and joined up soon after the Falklands, so we were probably a bit different, although nobody I knew joined up to go to war we were fully aware it was an option and got on with it.

Now todays young sprogs might well have a different perspective, like 2c2p says recruitment and retention is always better in a recession.

6. Err, there have been three Gulf Wars, not two. Iran and Iraq had a thingy for a little while which caused the West "a little bit of bother".

7. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

I joined up for the pissing up and the sexual abuse at the hands of old, filthy, sweaty, hairy depraved matelots........here I am 25 years later, still in, with a liver that George Best wouldn't touch with a bargepole if it was offered to him on a plate, an arse like a tattered windsock and a huge box of harry black maskers to stop the young uns splitting as the abused invariably becomes the abuser! Pass me another SMQ...this ones split.....and stop fcuking crying boy! It's for your own good....I'm just fcuking the Devil out of you!!

8. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

I don't believe anyone sat at home suddenly jumped up and said "I want to protect our nation and shipping lanes".

9. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

Or, in the case of the scousers piss off as soon as possible to continue robbin'.... :lol:

10. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

I'll have you know that many scousers have been able to use their Robin skills worldwide due to their service commitments :oops:

11. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

And thus educate the World on how to get car stereos on the cheap :) Aren't us Brits a shareing kind of race...

12. I don't recall that there were any RAF in the Falklands, but I may be wrong. I do know that they dropped one bomb on the airfield at Stanley at the cost of £1,000,000.....and it missed!!!

13. And it were ever thus, people join for all kinds of reasons, although hopefully the recruitment process should get rid of a portion of the worst reasons.

We are in a competitive environment, candidates compete to get in and the RN competes with other employers to get hold of the right people. In the cold War many had either no appreciation of what actually went on; lots of hot activities for a cold war, or just didn't think it would ever happen to them. The RAF is quite a good example, whilst some parts were very active others spent their entire careers sitting in bunkers on the east coast.

14. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

Let us make free until Scouse comes online :lol:

15. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

Scouse will be back as soon as he's sold some shmutter he's acquired :p

16. Poor Scousey! It looks like I need to hug him well to protect him from the verbal brickbats traversing the airwaves..... :hug:

17. Re: Are some recruits joining up cos there's not much better

I may have to deny all knowledge..

18. Sory mate but Iran/Iraq didn't involve us putting troops on the ground or aircraft overhead so it don't count...and anyway I did Armilla aswell so that would make it 2 out of 3 for me :lol:

19. I was going to join the Marines before I became rich because it was easy to do and didn't require much effort. Kind of the easy way out really as I wouldn't of had to get a normal job. And I wanted to get out of a life of crime in my street gang.

20. A few of the Harriers were flown by RAF pilots i think.