Are Medals court mounted or swing mounted today?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by tomm90, Jul 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was serving in the 50's 60's only guard regiments had their medals court mounted because they were on duty at the Royal palaces in London.
    All other army regiments, the RAF, RN & RM had their medals swing mounted.

Does anyone know has this rule changed because I see most servicemen not from guards regiments and non WW2 veterans wearing their medals court mounted on armed forces day?

2. If you are going to be carrying out ceremonial duties in London, you can get your medals court-mounted at crown expense. If not, you can choose to pay for court-mounting out of your own pocket. I'm sure there is a SPVA page about this.

3. Tomm90

Just for your info:

0810. Medals (Including Badges of The 4th And 5th Classes of Orders and Decorations Worn as Medals)

a. Medals, suspended from their ribands, are to be worn on the left breast in one horizontal line, with the highest in seniority at the end furthest from the shoulder. Medals awarded by a society for bravery in saving human life, if specially authorised to be worn, are to be worn on the right breast, similarly to those on the left and on the same horizontal line. All medals are worn observe outwards, i.e. with the head of the Sovereign showing.

b. The ribands are to be suspended from a bar, which they must completely cover, without gaps. The bar should be disposed centrally in the space available, without projecting outward beyond the shoulder or inward beyond the opening of the coat, or beyond the centre of a tunic or coat without opening. When the medals are too many to be suspended from the bar so as to be fully seen, they are to overlap, the most senior showing in full. In the case of ratings and ranks below officer, medals should, however, overlap whenever three or more are worn, the length of the bar to be 95mm for three medals up to a maximum of 171mm for larger numbers.

c. The bar should be of the brooch type, with the pin inserted through beckets sewn to the garment. It may, if necessary, come over the lapel of the garment, except when a rifle is carried, when the bar should be under the lapel, as a protection for the medals.

d. The medal bar is worn immediately above the top row of medal ribbons sewn to the garment, or in the same position, and using the same beckets, as the top row of detachable ribbons. See Para 0812 sub para e.

e. The length of medal riband for medals of normal size is to be 44mm. When two or more medals are worn, the length of ribands of medals of other than normal size should be adjusted so that the lowest points of the medals are all in line. A 44mm medal riband will accommodate four clasps: if more than four are worn the length of riband should be adjusted as necessary, leaving 13mm clear riband above the top clasp.

f. When medals are worn with garments on which medal ribbons are sewn, care must be taken that the ribbons are completely covered. If necessary a piece of material can be attached to the medal bar for this purpose.

g. Where more than one medal has been awarded, the ribands are to be suspended from a bar, which should be of the brooch type, with the pin inserted through beckets sewn to the garment. Medal ribands should be placed side by side up to and including a quantity of 6 medals unless the width of these 6 medals extends past the left shoulder seam of the uniform. In this instance, the 6 medals may be overlapped.

h. Court Mounting. Medals may also be worn court mounted. In this method the ribands are mounted on a frame of which the lower edge is in line with the centre of the medals. Commencing from the lower edge of the frame each riband runs over the upper edge and down to the ring of the medal. The medals are stitched down to the ribands. Court mounted medals may also be overlapped however, personnel with 7 or more court mounted medals should always wear them overlapped. Individuals with 6 or more medals may have them court mounted at crown expense. Personnel with 5 or less medals who wish to have them court mounted may do so at their own personal expense.

i. Badges of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd classes of orders are not worn as medals (other than miniatures - see Para 0811).

0811. Miniature Medals

a. These are half the size of the insignia, which they represent and on ribands 29mm long, are worn in the same manner as full-sized medals.

b. With some exceptions, as detailed in JSP 761, miniatures of all badges of orders and decorations are worn with miniature medals.

c. Except as in sub para d, miniature medals are worn with number 2A/2B Mess Dress/Undress on the lapel of the mess jacket. They may extend over the lapel towards the shoulder but not beyond the lapel on the inner side. The position on RM officers’ mess jackets is: Colonels and above, 102mm below the neck point of the shoulder seam; other officers 19mm below the Globe and laurel badge. Until replaced by the new mess dress the officers’ capes should be level with the top of the rank badge.

d. Drum Majors in complement billets wear miniature medals on the Drum Major’s sash with ceremonial blue dress.

0812. Medal Ribbons

a. When ribbons are worn apart from the orders, decorations and medals
    themselves a ribbon is worn for each medal, etc except the Garter, Thistle and St Patrick. The ribbon is the same for all classes of an order. The ribbon is to be worn from the date of the official notification of the award.

b. Length of ribbons to be worn: RN, and personnel - 13mm, but with more than five rows ribbons 10mm long may be worn. Royal Marines - 10mm all cases.

c. The width of the ribbon is to be that of the riband attached to the order, decoration or medal itself. For orders, the width is that of the riband of the lowest class. The normal width in each case is 32mm.

d. The ribbons are to be sewn on the garments, except on whites, tropical khaki and stone-coloured garments for which a detachable, brooch-type bar similar to the medal bar is to be used, with the pin inserted through beckets sewn in the correct positions. The ribbons are to be arranged in one or more rows as required, without either gaps or overlapping, in order of seniority as for medals, starting at the inside end of the top or only row. The rows should be 6mm apart for officers and Royal Marines and 3mm for others, but officers and Royal Marines may reduce the distance apart if necessary to accommodate a large number. The ribbons of orders, decorations and medals for which only private permission to wear has been given are not to be sewn on the garments.

e. The ribbons are to be worn on the breast, as for medals, positioned as follows:

(1) RN Officers. Top or only row 25mm below point of shoulder. When
    additional rows are sewn to the garment the number of ribbons in each row should be such that all visible, while preserving as symmetrical an arrangement as possible. The detachable bar may also have more than one row if necessary, in which case no row should be longer than the one above.

(2) Royal Marines. First row centrally over the breast pocket, 6mm above the top seam of the pocket. Additional rows centrally over the first, with no row shorter than the one above. Not more than five ribbons to a row, and no row to extend nearer than 19mm from the shoulder seam, but each row to be completed to maximum width before another is started.

(3) Ratings. Top or only row: on jackets: level with the point of lapel; on blue jumpers: 114mm below point of shoulder; on white uniform: 51mm below point of shoulder. In each case, when there is more than one row, no row is to be shorter than the one above, and the whole display should be as symmetrical as possible about the vertical.

f. Ribbons must not project outward beyond the point of the shoulder, or inward beyond the centre of the garment or under the lapel, and they must all be visible.

0813. Miniature Medal Ribbons

Ribbons 10mm long and 19mm wide, are worn only with mess dresses. They are not sewn to garments but are worn on detachable, brooch-type bars, in the same positions as miniature medals. See Para 0811 sub para c. Miniature medal ribbons are not worn by Royal Marine and Naval Officers except, in the latter case, for safety reasons when acting as Duty Officer.

0814. Rosettes

Rosettes are worn on certain medal ribbons and miniature medal ribbons to denote clasps to the medals or some special distinction.

0815. Wearing of Foreign Medals

a. The rules governing the wearing of foreign medals are contained in Foreign and Commonwealth (FCO) regulations. The MOD is required to seek and follow FCO guidance if foreign medals are offered to Service or civilian personnel. The FCO advises all foreign embassies of the British rule on a regular basis.

b. HM The Queen approves the receiving and wearing of all foreign medals, orders and decorations. In all cases, requests to receive or wear should be made through the Chain of Command to Naval Secretary for onward transmission, as necessary, to Defence Services Secretary. It will then be for DS Sec to staff the request formally to both the FCO and the Ceremonial Branch of the Cabinet Office, whose agreement is required before Her Majesty’s permission is sought. There will inevitably be some delay during this process and it should be noted that permission to wear is given only rarely.

c. Individual foreign awards for gallantry or meritorious service follow the same staffing route. Both may be subject to scrutiny within the FCO which must take account of the employment of Service personnel as State Servants, although it is usual that life saving actions may be recognised by the appropriate Head of State.

d. No campaign medal for wearing, UK or foreign, may be claimed through
    concurrent service which gains another campaign medal.

e. Occasions may arise where foreign medals are presented to Service personnel abroad without prior warning. In such cases, individuals must exercise judgement as to whether refusal might give offence and the usual course of action is to accept the award. Thereafter, the Chain of Command is to be informed together with any request to wear and justification for it. Usually, the recipient will be allowed to keep the medal as a memento, not to be worn.

0816. Wearing of Numerals or Bars Denoting Multiple Tours With UN, NATO or WEU

Rules for the wearing of numerals are derived from the instructions issued by the Secretaries of the UN, NATO or WEU, as amended by any bilateral agreement between the UK and the relevant organisation. The UN makes official provision for numerals, NATO and the WEU do not. In addition, some nations reward multiple tours by the wearing of a medal for each tour. However, the practice or customs of other nations in receipt of the same medals is NOT to be adopted by UK Service personnel unless explicitly authorised in DCIs.

0817. Wearing of Unofficial Medals

a. Only those Honours, Decorations, Medals and Awards that have been formally approved by the Sovereign may be worn. This applies to the wearing in uniform and civilian clothing, and by retired members of the Armed Services. Commanding Officers are responsible for ensuring that individuals do not wear medals that are not approved or to which they are not entitled, as well as being responsible for ensuring individuals are in possession of medals to which they are entitled.

b. A number of private companies market unofficial commemorative medals and although there is no reason why individuals may not purchase these items they are still formally classified as unofficial and have not been given approval by the Sovereign, and thus may not been worn. The fact that an advertisement for such medals appears in “in house†Service magazines is not to be taken as an indication that a medal has been formally approved and may be worn.

c. Any queries on the status of any medal, or of an individuals entitlement to it, should, in the first instance, be made to single-Service medal offices.

4. Sol, you never cease to amaze me. If I'm ever in the clag, will you be my brief please? 8O

2BM

5. Gladly! :lol:

6. Is the CDM still worn court mounted?

7. Doesn't last two seconds in my household once we get the wrapper off so mounting of any variety is not an option but I prefer Fruit & Nut myself anyway

8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Guidance I was given was 2 medals or less then go for swing, 3 or more then have court as it makes less noise. Will shortly be swapping my swings for courts at large expense :)

9. Good advice PT - I need to bang another one onto my bling-string so I will probably go the Court route as well

10. My four including minitures are court mounted you can get all the gear and do it yourelf which i did .You can even get instructions how to and where you can buy the stuff you need

11. Court mounting is ideal as it stops a lot of knocking of the medals, downside is when it comes to cleaning them.

12. Because when I was in they spent all the money on Ships (yes I know it seems silly) but we only got bars on our medal not one for eack visit.
    Its easy court mounting two. Even with the wait of three bars. :roll: :D
    Would have had a third medal if my DO had not been so finicky about good times ashore. :roll: :oops: :cry:
    No I never got a LSGC medal :cry: :cry: :oops:

At least they were silver, although I have not yet melted mine down for bread. :twisted:

13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

One minor thought, if you're due a medal in the next 18 months or so, it may be worth remembering that the jubilee medal in 2012 will be issued. This means that you'll probably need to have a second mounting done all over again - if you can get away with it then don't mount up yet, but wait till then.

14. They are easiy cleaned with one of themimpregnated cloths but in anycase the modern medals are staybrite are they not ?

15. Is it a general issue then? as the last two were not.

16. Silver Jubilee wasn't general issue but the Golden Jubilee was (minimum 5 years service)

17. See I know nothing, I was a MR by then.
    I knew the silver wasn't as I was a silly sailor then. :roll: :D
    Like I said I didn't even get a LSGC as I was naughty and they slapped me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

How about canteen medals, are they still about? :roll:

18. Getting slapped seems to be a common thread in your rich and varied life Rummers

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=28281/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=15.html

19. That is true, but I don't trust people who always talk about the fights they won. Makes me suspect, I've had hundreds of rucks, but the ones you remember most are the ones you loose, they are the ones that hurt. :oops: :cry: :D

20. Not all of them, GSM, FI,MSM,ACSM and LS&GC all tarnish...