Are Matelots getting enough scran?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Always_a_Civvy, Jun 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, most Wrens definately are :D

Oops, incoming!

2. It used to be the same allowance as those banged up in HM Prisons didn't it? Nice touch that.
    Pink sausages and EU butter mountain grease.
    Plus similar indented metal trays to eat off.
    We got china plates on Intrepid as a 'privilege' as long as we didn't break too many.
    Being young and daft then I reckoned the food wasn't too bad. There was certainly enough of it and as on a long air flight, you eat to relieve the boredom a lot of the time.
    I remember it becoming an emotive/argumentative subject.
    It wasn't until I joined my avatar with a killick chef for the ten crew that I finally realised things could be different.
    End of whinge and I'm alive now so it must say something.

3. The food's fine, its the chefs that are "off" :D

I make joke :)
    The food is normally very good and plentiful.
    China Plates, tablecloths alongside etc etc, but like I say, the food is generally good.

4. Tablecloths? I am in shock!

5. Oh, we're proper posh these days Sussex! :)
    (Still get the odd fork thats been through the hobart at a funny angle though)

6. going back a while now (93), but my oppos was a ACPOCK(CA), he had a right rant that he was allowed x pence per day per man to feed the ships co, whilst the modplod were allowed half as much again to feed the dogs, It is a good while ago, and I cannot remember the exact amounts, but it was under £1 per man per day on ingredients of the food.

This is still probably the case, what will take the amount spent per person up, is the additional costs of preparation and accommodation (fuel, staff, buildings, equipment etc)

7. I remember ketchup sarnies at 4 0'clockers! Still got the habit.

8. I always thought the scran was pretty good the majority of the time and never really complained. It all depended which 'watch' of cooks were on that day.

The only complaint I ever really had was when coming off the dog watches and there was sod all left, as the cookie boys had not kept enough back for the watch keepers.

Other than that, I really thought they did a bloody good job, especially in some atrocious weather conditions. BZ from me.

9. I've had five ships and the scran has ranged from fantastic to outright dross. Sometimes on the same ship in the same day! However, as with most things, it's usually somewhere in between.
    A lot of the run of the mill output does seem to have been put through the "blander".

10. Are Matelots getting enough scran?

[​IMG]

Well this one is ....and a bit of someone else`s as well by the looks of it.

11. When I was a Junior in the ROC back in 1979-80, the daily food allowance on our annual training camp was 23p per man per day. As I wasn't a man then I suppose it was pro rata for me, hence bread and jam for dessert after lunch (main course only)... :( No complaints: the adults plied me with free beers and dined me out at their expense! :) (Probably because I looked so cute in those days) :biggrin:

12. Is that The Matelot's wife? She looks well fed too! :wink: :biggrin:

13. Uncle Albert - I do hope that you have the body of a greek god otherwise as well as being a founder member of the PO Stoker's Grumpy Git Club I will have to call you a hypocrite.

14. Ooh, I know what you mean there, especially on a weekend duty ;)

15. Weekend duty is when you can tell which of the chefs really know their onions, pardon the pun. You either eat like a lord or live off pot noodles and take-aways for the weekend.

16. Yeah, like on Saturday night when theres about twelve of you onboard (well, it seems that way) and they say "Its Steak Tonight lads"!

Only it turns out he meant STAKE, as in made of wood and gets stuck in your chest :D

17. Uncle Albert in his yoof, circa 1920...

[​IMG]

Hehehehehe

18. I can say (as i sit here with the new DMR signal) the Rate is now a whopping £1.57 per man per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is piss poor if you ask me

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Is mcdonut staring at her t1ts?