Arctic Convoy Medal will now be awarded.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by BreathingOutOnTheWayUp, Dec 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. .
    Deep joy for all those aging campaigners:

<<...David Cameron put it to an official review under former diplomat Sir John Holmes, who said there was a case for the issue to be revisited.

Sir John has now recommended a new medal, which has been formally agreed on and is due to be announced today.

Commander Grenfell, who has led the medal campaign for almost 20 years, said: “It is wonderful news. We always wanted this official recognition for the sacrifices we made and the many who did not come home.

“It just saddens me that many of my chums who hoped for this day have not survived to see it.”

Recently the Foreign Office blocked an attempt by the Russian government to award the remaining veterans one of its highest awards for gallantry...>>

Arctic Medal campaign is won - Defence - Portsmouth News

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Maybe the Russian offer will now also be re-visited (don't hold your breath)

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Why the FCO seeks to go out of its way so ungraciously to insult Russia is a bit of a puzzle.

4. Notice Commander Grenfell was wearing Dolphins and was a radar operator? on a merchant ship with a catapult and aircraft according to some papers.

Just wondering what Boats he was on latter in his career?

Commander Eddie Grenfell started his service with the Royal Navy in 1940 as an ordinary seaman, progressed through all the lower-deck ranks to petty officer before being commissioned as sub-lieutenant in 1944. He was promoted to Commander’s rank in 1956, recommended for immediate promotion to Captain in 1964, but retired in 1966. He served in destroyers, cruisers, submarines and in the little-known CAM ships. He also served on loan to the Royal Australian Navy and, for the final four years of his naval service, as Assistant Naval Attaché at the British Embassy in Bonn, West Germany.

Pushkin House.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Bob he doesn't appear to be a member of the SA, I'm making a few enquiries elsewhere and will come back if I learn anything.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Arctic Covoy Medal will now be awarded.

The Russians awarded the vets the 40th anniversary medal. This was agreed by the Queen for wearing by the vets. 10 years later they awarded the 50th. As per standing UK rules you cannot be awarded a medal more than once for the same event.
    Hence the 50th was not approved for wear.

7. Perhaps someone can answer this:

I know a local ex matelot (89 years of age) who served on the Arctic convoys and believes that he will be entitled to the medal.

Question is:
    How does he claim it?

8. Is it being awarded posthumously as my uncle died a few years ago, he was a bootneck serving in the Diadem on the Russian runs.

9. Nice1, it took a while but they got there in the end.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

11. Thanks SgtP
    Have printed out the form and will give it to the old boy next time I see him.

Ooooops
    Just noticed the form is for the Arctic Emblem which is just a lapel badge.
    Anyone know the time frame for the medal between announcing of the award and actual issue?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  12. Seaweed

Hang on. All hands must dwell a pause before slapping in. Many a step between a glib announcement by Cameron and actual fulfilment, like setting eligibility criteria, agreeing the design of the medal and ribbon, minting the things and finally inviting applications.

13. Suppose that the authorities are hoping more of the old salts pop their clogs so that they don'e have to maks so many medals:argue:

14. Aye, IIRC appox. 200...:sad:

15. Seaweed

One would hope NoK will be able to claim as is the case with other medals. But I bet DC and the suits are fed up at Grenfell surviving as long as he has.

16. Surely when it comes to designing the medal there is no need.
    What is wrong with the Star design used for the rest of the WW2 medals?

17. Hello, first timer so be gentle with me.

My late father served as a CPO 1941 - 1946 and was mostly based at HMS Pembroke (Chatham dockyard) but as he was a carpenter and joiner he was on many ships some in the dockyard and some at sea during handovers and sea trials.

His service record lists Pembroke, Nile etc (all dockyards) as his 'ship' and a single entry for HMS Royal Sovereign May 1 - 30 1944. But the service record reverts to HMS Pembroke from 31 May 1944. He stayed on board the Royal Sovereign after 30 May 1944 but the ship was transferred to the Soviet Navy and renamed Archangel. He continued the refit and disembarked in Murmansk after the ship had been part of an Arctic convoy.

I am trying to get him an arctic emblem for his medal collection now in the possession of his great great grandson. Sadly the Medal people at Innsworth only have the service record to go on and are therefore unable to prove his service on arctic convoys.

So finally here is my question. How do I go about obtaining proof his 'secondment' to enable the emblem to be presented?

Many thanks

18. Welcome to Rum Ration, Mermaid.

Hmmm a tricky one.

My first thought was as to whether there might be anything in the Admiralty collection at the National Archives in which your late father might have been mentioned.

While I ponder on this, these might interest you:

HMS Royal Sovereign, British battleship, WW2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Royal_Sovereign_(05)

By the way, if you should ever pass the massive radio telescope at Jodrell Bank, you are passing part of HMS Royal Sovereign - parts from her gun turret were used to build it.

19. Not wishing to sound like a prophet of doom, it is quite a difficult process.
    I have photographic proof of my dads service in one particular theater along with comments on his service sheet made and signed by his commanding officer and dated.
    It took me three years to finally convince them that he had entitlement to the Italy star as well as the Burma star he had already been awarded. Also because he had been transferred as a prisoner into the Pacific theatre of was he was entitled to the Bar for his Burma star as you cannot hold both. That ended in a dispute which was finally settled in our favour as whilst being moved prisoners were exposed to air raids and submarine threat be it from "friendly fire" and as such were part of an active theatre of war.
    Are there no letters from him from Russia or ships records showing his name and ships book number or even vitualing records for tot etc, if not on the ships books.
    Persevere and good luck with your quest.