Archbishop of Canterbury and Wickedness In High Places

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bergen, Oct 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The good Doctor gave a pretty powerful sermon and I wonder if The Bliar or Cyclops squirmed a little as they sat in their pews.

Summary - The Troops were brave and did their duty well.

But the politicians???

From The Times:-

Although not stated overtly, the main thrust of his address at the Iraq remembrance in St Paul’s Cathedral was the shortcomings of policy makers in Iraq.

Quoting a Bible passage which refers to “spiritual wickedness in high places,†the Archbishop said: “Many people of my generation and younger grew up doubting whether we should ever see another straightforward international conflict, fought by a standing army with conventional weapons.

“We had begun to forget the realities of cost. And when such conflict appeared on the horizon, there were those among both policy makers and commentators who were able to talk about it without really measuring the price, the cost of justice.â€

Chapter six of St Paul’s letter to the Ephesians, which was the second reading at the service, is one of the most powerful in the Bible.

The King James version renders it as: “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.â€

2. This Prince of Darkness, for example?

Times link here.
  3. Thanks for posting the links NG. Our boy Tone as the Invisible One and Mandy as The Prince of Darkness works for me. :jerk:

4. In the main I have no time for devil dodgers but credit where credit is due he spoke the truth. As for those arrogant so and so's squirming, I doubt that very much.
  5. Watched some of the footage on Sky ...... the little b'std didn't even blink an eyelid !! :evil:
  6. I wholeheartedly agree with Peter Brierley good for him for speaking the truth but it will be water of a ducks back to that pompous ass Blair.
  7. Good man, Peter Brierley, at least he had the honesty to be Real and not hide behind quotes from scriptures

Honesty is all that we require......don't let the politicians have any wriggle room

Honesty saves time and, probably, lives
  8. With respect I don't think the Archbishop was 'hiding' behind the quote. I am not a fan of Williams but to use that particular passage in the context he did was utterly damning, and more powerful than if he - as a disinterested public figure rather than a family member speaking from the heart - simply came out with some statement of criticism.

BZ to Peter Brierley though; speaking for a lot of people I would imagine.
  9. I can go with that as well
  10. "Blair and Brown listen as Archbishop of Canterbury condemns Iraq war decisions"

They may have listened, but did they hear?

11. Yerrrs!, Quite agree old sock, bit of a pity the good Reverend left it so long before gobbing off though don,t you think, what!. :wink: :wink: :wink: