Aptitude Test

hi
I take it that you have put your application in. have to be honest I'm not sure, the reason for this is that you are still currently serving in the RAN, when i put my application in i was still serving in the TA (Territorial Army) and I had to be discharged from service before I could join the RN.
I know if you a "regular" ie full time serving in another force eg RAF or the army then A) you might have to be discarge B) as you are in the RAN you might find that you will have to get there permission to join the RN.
The tests the RT (tick test if you like) takes about 2hrs, if you pass. about a week later you then have an interview and a medical normaly done on the same day, you would then have to pass the PJFT a) with in your time (dependent on age and sex) b) with in 28 days of passing the medical.
the draft time depends on how popular the branch is and what branch you are going into. the last thing is the security papers it normaly takes about 3 months but this depends on how loged the secuirity department is and the MoD and where they need to get there information from. from start to finish it has taken me about 8 months.
do you know wich AFCO you are going to?
do they know that you are coming over from aus?
if not you might want to ring the AFCO, they will be able to help you more than me,but pm me if you need to, I'm on here most of the the day.

hope this helps
ship_rat
 
Thanks for your reply Nicky!

So will the Navy take a Dim-view if you do your fitness test on the 28th day, if you want to get as fit as possible?

I'm a bit worried now because I've had this pain in my left knee area now for a few weeks and it's not agony, but it's still there and I just don't know what to do to get rid of the pain - Trouble is, I'm too frightened to go to a doctor in case he says something like, "There's no chance you're going in the Navy with this leg my good man"!!!
 

Karma

War Hero
creddly said:
Thanks for your reply Nicky!

So will the Navy take a Dim-view if you do your fitness test on the 28th day, if you want to get as fit as possible?

All you have to do is pass the test, if you really feel the need to wait til day 28 that's up to you. The system doesn't care as long as it's within the time threshold.

....I've had this pain in my left knee area now for a few weeks and .......quote]

Get on with it FFS.
 
Karma said:
Get on with it FFS.

No mate - seriously, I love a bit of pain when exercising and would hate it any other way!

The feel of the burn, the feeling of your lungs gasping for air - I LOVE IT!

But this pain is when I'm resting!

It's like all my sinew, cartridge and muscle in my left knee are knotted and some days it's nothing, but other days it's really a pain in the arse!

I'll give you an example of when it hurts - When I pull my left leg out of a trainer, I can feel a tug in the back/side of my left knee then!

I'm more than willing to go along with it - No problem, I'm just worried the Navy will find out I'm hiding something down the lines...
 
AFCO? friday? submarine service? appication?
or have you forgoten already?
from
ship_rat
ps rest your knee for a couple of days, take neurphen or something similair, if it still continues see your doctor. better be safe than sorry! (advice only! I'm not a medic!)
 
ship_rat said:
AFCO? friday? submarine service? appication?
or have you forgoten already?
from
ship_rat
ps rest your knee for a couple of days, take neurphen or something similair, if it still continues see your doctor. better be safe than sorry! (advice only! I'm not a medic!)

Lol Oh yeah, got lost there sorry mate!

I'm actually phoning them tomorrow though to let them know I'm going down there.

I think I'll have to see a Doctor - I've rested it for 4 weeks now mate and still no joy. I'm going to walk now for 3 weeks for an hour every day along the hills of our wondrous Welsh valleys.

If that doesn't work, then I'm definitely off to see the Doc!

How's your progress ship rat?
 
hi
done the tests, passed the test, I'm in. got my due date for service 17th June, happy days! :grin: :mrgreen:
sorry to hear about your knee, you do need to get it fixed wish you all the best on that one!
ship_rat
 
ship_rat said:
hi
done the tests, passed the test, I'm in. got my due date for service 17th June, happy days! :grin: :mrgreen:
sorry to hear about your knee, you do need to get it fixed wish you all the best on that one!
ship_rat

Well done shippers!

Good luck with that!

You're so lucky to be going in in the middle of Summer!

When I went in the Army is was bang in the middle of Winter and absolutely bitter!!!

Although I don't care if I get in for basic and I'm due for a Winter basic but I would prefer Summer!

I just don't know what to do with the knee!

I'm just afraid the Doctor will tell me it's a permanent injury and then of course, it's down on my medical history and it's bye bye Navy!
 
hey creddlly
go and see the doc, the longer you leave it, the more damage you could be doing to your knee! there is no point putting up with the pain!
as for a summer intake, I would rather be on a winter intake, I did my TA recuits course in november! and I am mad enough and will happly dive in the darkest depths of winter as well! so i'm no stranger to being cold and wet, lol
as for your knee, try swimming instead of running, you will keep your fitness levels up as well as resting your knee from impact damage, ie when you are running or walking! (you are a lucky bugger living in wales, I would swap with you any day of the week, I live in essex, and work in london! enjoy it!!!)

ship_rat
 
ship_rat said:
hey creddlly
go and see the doc, the longer you leave it, the more damage you could be doing to your knee! there is no point putting up with the pain!
as for a summer intake, I would rather be on a winter intake, I did my TA recuits course in november! and I am mad enough and will happly dive in the darkest depths of winter as well! so i'm no stranger to being cold and wet, lol
as for your knee, try swimming instead of running, you will keep your fitness levels up as well as resting your knee from impact damage, ie when you are running or walking! (you are a lucky bugger living in wales, I would swap with you any day of the week, I live in essex, and work in london! enjoy it!!!)

ship_rat

lol Yep, we're never short of places to walk or fresh country air... but I bet it's teeming with beaver in essex!

All we have in my small town are the odd stunners and then mostly dinner ladies!

Swimming is a great idea - I'll try that!
 
Top