'Approx' waiting times? Writer/CIS

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Ahoy89, Nov 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I will be seeing my AFCO at the beginning of next month where I will ask the question but in the mean time does anyone have a approximate idea of the waiting times for writer and CIS?

I'm still deciding between the 2, though favouring CIS! Will take it through with my CA! Not just going to choose the one with the shortest wait!

Thanks in advance

2. They change so even someone waiting now wont necessarily have the same wait time as you- if you phone the afco and ask nicely they might tell you :) what appeals to you about both roles as they are quite different?

3. No idea of waiting times for either branch, however you have the right idea, choose the branch you want and not the one with the shortest waiting time.
    From what I gather CIS requires a higher educational score. In my experience the more dificult the branch to get into the more useful it is to you when you eventually leave the service.

4. I'm going in as a re entry but I passed for CIS last time so fingers crossed!

5. When i last checked (3 months ago) SM CIS 8 months GS CIS 9 months.

Hope this helps.

6. Thanks

7. Good luck, I'm going in as CIS March 15 :)

8. Oooo bet you can't wait!

9. I'm looking forward to it!

10. When did you first apply?

11. May/June

The only thing that took its time is SC. Have you been in the navy before?

12. In a fashion! I got discharged with suspected shin splints but 2 appeals later, a doctors letter and a physio letter ive been classed fit for re entry.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Shin splints that's a bit harsh!

Apparently CIS is changing from Warfare to Weapons Engineering, and training is going to be a bit longer with more electrical maintenance.

14. Glad to hear you can reapply :D i was supposed to start last on the 9th of this month- but injured my knee and am waiting for the all clear before i can reapply :( only applied march 2012 so haven't been waiting long haha! What had you applied for the first time around?

15. I heard that... More things to fiddle with haha!

I applied as CIS the first time round

16. More fun to be had at Collingrad, eh?!