Apprentice Comms Course starting 1st Sept

Discussion in 'RFA' started by The old scopie, Aug 18, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone one on hear going to Collingwood for Course 209 starting 1st Sept.
  2. Hey man, I'm joining on the 1st too. I take it your doing the CIS apprenticeship as well?
  3. Hi Chris,

In a word yes !
  4. Can't wait to start I believe there are only 5 of us doing the course!
  5. Yes should be fun, I think.
  6. So do you have far to travel to Collingwood
  7. Driving up from Plymouth, how about you?
  8. So I guess you'll be taking us all round the local area :)
  9. Good luck everyone.

I am on the previous course which was the first of the new apprentice courses. Our phase 1 ran from April 2015 to August 2015. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

We are due back on 7 September 2015 for a week or so of Basic Sea Survival then will hopefully be off away on our first trip to sea. Our phase 2 runs from Jan 2016 to April 2016.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Good to hear you guys are all starting soon or have started already. I had my provisional offer come through last weekend after having my interview earlier this month. I'm on a reserve list for the course 1st January but, if not on that, will be on the course starting 17th April. There's limited spaces on the courses (as you all know). It's a long time to wait but, worth it in the long run.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

FNNNAR. Never mind bringing an iron, bring plenty of lube.
  12. To Goose & H Nelson,
    Cheers guys as you both know its a long road to get in and then its another long journey from there. Really looking forward to being back in a service environment after a mere 26 years away. Also looking forward to the course, stops me from going brain dead.
  13. Tut Tut, must you lower the tone Seadog. BTW now I'm starting does that mean I can now call you shipmate.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Once you've been to sea on the trained strength youngster!

I was told of an RFA junior rate, one not given to heel clicking deference - the field is large - manning an RFA gangway in that 'it's all too much bother' slouch that some do so well. He checks the list of visitors for the kindly silver haired civilian attired gent trying to get on board.

"Yeah yeah, but what's your first name mate?"

For a civvy rebel, the jump out of the seat and spring to attention was worthy of an SS Trooper being addressed by an SS Gruppenf├╝hrer.

For clarity, the admiral was on a private visit and told the CO not to bother with the usual protocol, he'd just get his host piped to the gangway.
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Great story Seadog,

It's the part of Collingrad I'm not looking forward to, as I'm sure some fresh faced little Lt who's old enough to be my son will wibble on about paying compliments even though I'm actually a civvie. But I'll take the advice of those in the know.
  16. Don't you guys have a "air conditioner operator" course - or is it now on the job training?
  17. Hi Seadog,

Just thought I'd let you know, I was walking out of one of the training blocks here at Collingrad when I spotted a young Lt about to come into the building and in the process of taking his hat off before entering. So I walked a bit quicker to the door and with a breezy nautical salute and a "Morning Sir !" I caught him in mid hat off, hat on, salute, hat off. It's still a joy to catch those junior officers out, even if we don't have to "pay the compliments "
  18. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You can bloody well pack that in!!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Awwwhhh Jenny !!
  20. Chris 1996,

Are you going to change your photo from Monday !