Apprentice chef

Trenny

Hi, was wondering if I could get some advice on joining as an apprentice chef? I've been thinking about this for a few years now. My only concern is my age, I am currently 42 and was wondering if my age may go against me for an apprenticeship with the RFA in this role? Is this role in demand?

Thanks for any advice

soleil

War Hero
I wouldn't have thought that your age would go against you at 42, Trenny, but hopefully there will be a fuller answer from someone currently serving in the RFA later on.

CM264

Midshipman
42 isn't too late to join as an apprentice and yes there is always demand for cooks, many apprentices have come in later in life. The biggest hurdle I found was the drop in salary for over a year during apprentice pay. but it is worth it to get the decent pay rise and a career at sea.

chef ramsay

Midshipman
Hi, I'm slightly older than you and have applied for the RFA Apprentice Chef Role. I have passed the psychometric test and waiting for the subject matter expert sift/interview. Although I was apprehensive of the drop in money during training/apprenticeship, it does go back up and in the long run it looks appealing to me all things considered. Whilst I am still apprehensive of life at sea for extended periods as I have no experience of this, and the practicalities, I think the same can be said for any now career path. Being single/no kids means I don't have worry about that side things where others might. I would say go for it, but my circumstances are probably different from yours so only you can ultimately make the right decision for you. Also, when I spoke to the recruiting people where it says that a role is "not guaranteed" after successful completion of training, they did say they wouldn't be recruiting and training people if they didn't need them, so be mindful that clause is in there. Hope this helps.

I get App Chefs starting once through the process, the first part of trainig is at HMS RAleigh with us. Ages range from 16 to 60, so there is no such thing as the 'usual' age bracket and each person brings different life experiences which make the courses very varied and diverse.

As there is no retirement age you can potentially work to 70+ so a career of 30 + years if you wanted to and were fit and healthy.

We need chefs and are still recruiting and training Apprenitces, so if you would liek to be a chef then go for it.

The salary once you qualify after 1 1/2 - 2 years is very attractive, then combined with 4 months on 3 months off once qualified is good too. Obviously the training salary is less, approx £15,500, but in trainng (6 months) and on ship (4 months in 1st year) you don't pay for accommodation or food for, so out of the first 12 months you won't pay to live, 10 - 11 months so cheap living (obviously if have a family and mortgage that cost will be there).

Rozz

Badgeman
Hi, was wondering if I could get some advice on joining as an apprentice chef? I've been thinking about this for a few years now. My only concern is my age, I am currently 42 and was wondering if my age may go against me for an apprenticeship with the RFA in this role? Is this role in demand?

Thanks for any advice
I’ll be 37 in September and am a few weeks away from finishing my training at worthy down.

Midshipman
Hi guys I'm 16 years old and I wanted to know if my chances of getting in as a chef apprentice are better than someone who is older than me?
Thanks guys.

Midshipman
Also can you please let me know how long it will take for them to contact me?I applied on 21 July and just really stressed

chef ramsay

Midshipman
First, your age will have no bearing on your chances of getting into the RFA. It's all about your research, desire, commitment etc and how you show this via your application.

Second, it's the middle of RFA interview season and them letting candidates know what the outcome is. If at 16 your feeling stressed by not knowing whats going on, maybe you should leave it and re-apply when you are slightly older. It's not even been two weeks since you applied. Some organisations don't even contact you if you're unsuccessful when you apply for a job with the,

Random

Lantern Swinger
Also can you please let me know how long it will take for them to contact me?I applied on 21 July and just really stressed
Take a deep brief, relax, before all this covid fun joining the RFA could take quite some time. I am fairly certain it has not sped up due to it either.

Honestly there is a reasonable chance you could be almost 18 by the time the process is finished. So whilst doing the paperwork shuffle and awaiting responses try and work out what you are happy doing in the short term and don't stress it, It's not personal, it's just the RFA doesn't recruit many people per year and so the team that does the processing is quite small.

Midshipman
Oh OK, I know that this is what I want, I am just nervous because it would be my first job if I got in and everything but anyways thanks guys.

Midshipman
Also I was asking when the would contact me as I'm really eager to get in as fast as possible.

I just thought that the rfa process would be quicker than the navy's as the rfa doesn't have additional fitness tests and stuff but guess not.

soleil

War Hero
I just thought that the rfa process would be quicker than the navy's as the rfa doesn't have additional fitness tests and stuff but guess not.
I think that it might be helpful for you to speak to one of the RN Careers Advisors in your nearest Armed Forces Careers Office about this.

Where is your nearest large town/city?

@7976887 - As others have said, settle yourself down for a lengthy recruiting process.

Whilst you have a lot of time on your hands (and you'll probably find some use for even a min wage income?) is there anything to prevent you from chasing up every job opportunity within the catering/hospitality sector?

Consider - potwash at an upmarket hotel, waiting at a busy greasy spoon, MacD/KFC/BK etc. Those all provide opportunities for at least a taste of what a career in cookery entails. Besides providing you with a few readies and answers to these inevitable RFA Interview questions:

"What have you been doing since you left school? & Have you any experience relevant to the role of an RFA chef?"

PS To put your 11 days waiting in perspective - A relative has no firm news (Last Quoted "It might be 'early 2021) so it looks like they will have clocked up between 18/24 months between first registration for an RFA Application (in another role) and their eventual Entry Date.

Rozz

Badgeman
Hi guys I'm 16 years old and I wanted to know if my chances of getting in as a chef apprentice are better than someone who is older than me?
Thanks guys.
There were two 16 year old boys in my class of 8 (each turned 17 during the course) so your age is not an issue. Good luck

Midshipman
@7976887 - As others have said, settle yourself down for a lengthy recruiting process.

Whilst you have a lot of time on your hands (and you'll probably find some use for even a min wage income?) is there anything to prevent you from chasing up every job opportunity within the catering/hospitality sector?

Consider - potwash at an upmarket hotel, waiting at a busy greasy spoon, MacD/KFC/BK etc. Those all provide opportunities for at least a taste of what a career in cookery entails. Besides providing you with a few readies and answers to these inevitable RFA Interview questions:

"What have you been doing since you left school? & Have you any experience relevant to the role of an RFA chef?"

PS To put your 11 days waiting in perspective - A relative has no firm news (Last Quoted "It might be 'early 2021) so it looks like they will have clocked up between 18/24 months between first registration for an RFA Application (in another role) and their eventual Entry Date.
As you said about looking for a job I am looking for a job at a nearby takeaway, that will be all the experience I have other than cooking at home.
And Ive made my peace with the waiting times for joining so thanks for your help guys.

soleil

War Hero
My nearest large town is Leeds, I live in Bradford
These are the details for Leeds; I would give them a call tomorrow.

There was a time not that long ago when the waiting time to join the Royal Navy as a Chef was relatively short.

Talk to one of the RN Careers Advisors at Leeds about what would be the best option for you. It might be that joining the Royal Navy rather than the RFA as a Chef might be the better choice for you at this point.

See what the CAs have to say about this.

AFCO(RN)
10-14 Bond Court
LEEDS
LS1 2JY

Telephone: 0113 243 0899

[email protected]

Monday08:00AM - 20:00PM
Tuesday08:00AM - 16:30PM
Wednesday08:00AM - 15:00PM
Thursday08:00AM - 15:00PM
Friday08:00AM - 15:00PM

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
7 Joining the RFA as a chef apprentice RFA 8
C Apprentice chef RFA 2
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
N How tough is the competition to become a chef apprentice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Chef Apprentice course RFA 24
B RFA chef apprentice. Joining the Royal Navy 21
H Does a Chef Apprentice have deep sea diving training for when fish stocks are low? RFA 29
T I have recently applied for the apprentice chef role can anyone tell me when the sift is? RFA 6
U Difficulty getting into RFA as apprentice chef? RFA 28
Kham Apprentice Chef work pattern RFA 15
J Chef Apprentice Gun Training. RFA 15
J Chef Apprentice Wages. RFA 5
J HMS Raleigh, Chef Apprentice. RFA 16
J Chef Apprentice Guidance RFA 12
S Apprentice Chef Interview RFA 16
jacko_rn Chef Apprentice RFA 28
K Accelerated Apprentice Marine Engineer chance?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
D Accelerated Apprentice Scheme (AE) CP level Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Apprentice RFA 3
MoD_RSS Vacancy: Publications Officer (Apprentice) MoD News 0
M Comms Apprentice Accomodation RFA 5
C-Roi Comms Apprentice in September RFA 5
C-Roi RFA Comms Apprentice Interview RFA 9
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd Apprentice Recruitment MoD News 0
S RFA seamanship apprentice RFA 4
J Accelerated apprentice scheme in marine engineering Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
C-Roi RFA Communications Apprentice RFA 34
S Comms apprentice training question RFA 1
S Communication Apprentice-Questions RFA 1
J Weapons engineer advanced apprentice Scheme Selection 2019 Joining the Royal Navy 7
crash_evans Royal Navy Accelerated Apprentice (AA) Scheme Pipelines (AE/ME/WE) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
E RFA APPRENTICE MARINE ENGINEER INTAKE 2019 RFA 1
N ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME (MARINE ENGINEERING) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
MoD_RSS News story: UKHO apprentice wins Somerset Apprenticeship Award MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HM Land Registry Apprentice wins award MoD News 0
A Accelerated Apprentice Selection Chances Joining the Royal Navy 2
W Apprentice steward Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
G Joining RFA as apprentice rating (but have a CoC) RFA 3
L Apprentice Engineer March 19 RFA 10
B New Joiners (Seaman Apprentice) Jan 2018 RFA 4
Popeye1974 Seamanship Apprentice RFA 20
T RFA engineer Apprentice RFA 13
B Seaman Apprentice 2019 List RFA 1
R Training apprentice?? RFA 6
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
M Fleet air arm apprentice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
M Fleet Air Arm apprentice The Fleet Air Arm 2
MoD_RSS News story: HRH The Prince of Wales awards MOD Apprentice of the Year 2017 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UKHO Apprentice wins Bridgwater and Taunton College Apprenticeship Award MoD News 0
T Apprentice Comms Application Form RFA 8