Applying while at university

Hi,

Firstly, I apologise for how long this post is.

I'm a 27 year old female currently in my 3rd year of university. Back in October I went to a careers fair and the RN was being advertised. I asked one of the recruitment officers if they had anything suitable for someone who has a background in computing and business (I study a joint honours degree). I was suggested a role as a Warfare Officer. While the role did seem interesting, it didn't seem interesting enough that I would want to apply for it. However, after returning home that same day I did a lot of research into the various roles of the RN and Logistics Officer stood out a mile for me.

From a very young age I'd wanted to join the army, though a member of my family kept trying to put me off, 'You'll get killed' 'What a waste of life' blah blah blah. As my family have a heavy background in computing I repressed my want to join and decided to study computing and have done so since I was 16. I've been in and out of education and odd jobs here and there. Even my university degree partially revolves around computing, though I do enjoy the business aspect of my degree a lot, and this is why the Logistics Officer role stood out to me.

After going to that careers fair, I feel it opened up all those years of repressing what I'd wanted to do, which was to serve. Ever since October I've been looking intently into applying, the joining process, anything I can find on the PJFT, AIB, BRNC and so on. I spent time speaking with RN recruiters on the phone and was told that the role I wish to apply for is often oversubscribed and I have a higher chance of reaching AIB via the submariner route. While I don't have a serious problem with a submariner role, my desire is more oriented to surface fleet.

At the time of the recruitment call I was told to apply right away (I had no idea about sponsorship etc at the time so said I never needed one, plus I feel like it's too late to receive anything any as is) and though I began my application, I became hesitant because I was concerned as to whether or not I would be asked to take part in the PJFT right away and as I'm studying full time at university away from home, this is not possible. I want to be able to join as soon as I finish university, however I'm not sure how I go about applying so that I can be assessed once I graduate.

To prepare myself for my application, I've ensured to take part in more leadership-style roles within the university. I have been weightlifting the whole 3 years I have been studying and in my 3rd and final year I have been training hard with a powerlifting group (I'd wanted to compete in the British University championships and was selected for the team to represent, but due to my age, cannot compete). To prepare for the 2.4 km run, I have also incorporated more cardio into my workouts to help, however due to my university schedule, despite time management, I am often restricted on how much I can do.

I also have a bit of a concern in terms of the medical assessment, physically I'm quite ok as shown by the fact I powerlift and have been doing so for 3 months, along with weightlifting in general for my duration of university. However, as a child I had a bit of a run in with my right knee and though the knee itself is fine, the bone seems to stick out a little more than it should? It has caused me no problems when lifting heavy weights, when running or anything else, though I do worry it will cause me to fail. I was also diagnosed with a lipoma on my lower back. It doesn't cause problems and isn't an issue, but I still worry it is considered something I could be failed on.

I would have raised all these concerns to my local recruitment office, but at the time of me attempting to whilst I was home for Christmas, the office was closed, and the area where I study has no such office.

Is there any information or advice anyone can give me? Do I apply now despite being at university or do I wait until I graduate?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Maximum age for Warfare Officer is 25 upon entry into training.

Surprised no-one told you.

Your degree points more toward Weapons Engineering (if accepted as an accredited engineering degree - doubtful if a BA) otherwise TMO or Logistics Officer. (Max age 29 upon entry).

Medically, only a qualified Medical Examiner can give definitive advice, once in receipt of the documented medical records relating to the conditions stated.

Apply now rather than wait until you graduate, only nutters apply after graduation - only to find themselves unemployed for months or worse, ineligible.

Best of luck.

I'm not a Dr or PTI nor have I been to BRNC but I'm not sure I'd be power lifting if you continue your application. Weight lifting is fine but you'll need to balance your workouts between cv and strength. That's not just because of the PJFT but because the phys you'll do at BRNC will contain a lot of cv.

Maximum age for Warfare Officer is 25 upon entry into training.

Surprised no-one told you.

Your degree points more toward Weapons Engineering (if accepted as an accredited engineering degree - doubtful if a BA) otherwise TMO or Logistics Officer. (Max age 29 upon entry).

Medically, only a qualified Medical Examiner can give definitive advice, once in receipt of the documented medical records relating to the conditions stated.

Apply now rather than wait until you graduate, only nutters apply after graduation - only to find themselves unemployed for months or worse, ineligible.

Best of luck.
Thank you! This is exactly the kind of answer I was hoping for!

I honestly never considered a role as TMO. I'd briefly looked into it though LO certainly stood out the most. By the time I graduate I will be 28, so I will still be eligible in terms of age.

I'm not a Dr or PTI nor have I been to BRNC but I'm not sure I'd be power lifting if you continue your application. Weight lifting is fine but you'll need to balance your workouts between cv and strength. That's not just because of the PJFT but because the phys you'll do at BRNC will contain a lot of cv.
Thank you very much for this information! I'll definitely work on upping my game in terms of cardio. :)

Apply as quick as you can. I made the stupid decision to wait til I graduated and I’ve ended up in a retail job for the past two years waiting!

I applied for officer and the wait is long