Applying to the Navy help.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by rfcjonnya, Jun 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A few questions people if you do not mind.

I have recently been given an application form to join the navy as a Weapon Engineer. I am in uni though and have passed my first year and do not know whether to go back because I have been told by my local AFCO that the waiting list for this job is around 8 months.

My first question is will I know by Septemberish if I have been successful in all interviews medicals etc and will be joining the navy at a certain time (presumably 8 months from then)? Or will it be 8 months before I know if I have been successful?

How long does the application process usually take?

Cheers for reading and hopefully answering this post. I know it is long winded and pretty boring but just curious 8O :D :D 8)

WATP
    Jonny

2. Well I'm applying for warfare officer and expect it to take about a year so you maybe you should think about what you'd want to do for that year if you didn't go back to uni? Unless you're not enjoying your course though, I'd carry on with it...not that I can give advice! lol. I just know people tend to regret dropping out of uni. 8O

3. I hate uni :D :D But I am going into the navy as a rating and if it will only be an 8 month wait then I will go out and get a more decent job than I have now to get me over until basic training.

Cheers for the reply mate. Anyone got any answers to the questions posted? You help is much appreciated.

WATP
    Jonny

4. You know if you have been successful as soon as you have passed all the recruiting stuff. From that point on you know you will get in "at some point" but you won't know when exactly. The AFCO can give you some idea. The waiting time is from when you pass everything.

5. Jonny

What do you have in the way of educational qualifications so far?

What are you studying at University? Is your course 3 years?

6. Stick it out at University, the Navy will still be there in 2 years time and with your degree far more options will be available.
    Also who's to say you won't hate the Navy?

7. I have advanced maths at A and advanced physics at B. I have never been one for studying alot and I am studying Maths at Glasgow uni. Not liking it and I am from a working class family who have all left school and went to work. This is what I wanted to do but my hand was forced into uni life.

Timetojoinup, the guy at the AFCO told me the 8 month wait begins after I do the RT tests (is that the right thing)? On a side note from this how long does the application process take?

WATP
    Jonny

8. Sounds like you have 180+ UCAS points, you not fancy going in as an officer then?

9. Jonny

The waiting time starts as soon as you have sat the RT.

10. Nup. Do not get me wrong I have seriously thought about it but I want to go in as a rating. Yeah I have a good few UCAS points but I do not believe in these points.

Anyone got any idea how long the application process will take? If I hand in my application tomorrow will I know by the middle of September if I am in or not?

WATP
    Jonny

11. That is what I was told today. Thanks for confirming that mate. Do you know how long the application process usually takes?

WATP
    Jonny

12. It's very likely that you would know by mid-September, Jonny. How quickly candidates get through the different stages is to an extent dependent on how busy the AFCO is e.g. you may have to wait for a space in the test diary if they are booked up for a while and your medical may take a little longer to organise if the AFCO Dr has a list of candidates to work through and, to an extent on how keen you are to get through the process as quickly as possible.

13. Cheers for the information mate. Will hand in my application tomorrow and ask them, if I am successful, how long will the process take.

WATP
    Jonny

14. Under normal circumstances you will have completed the process by the end of the summer.

Jonny, may I ask what you mean when you say that you don't believe in UCAS points?

Might I suggest that you take the opportunity to have a chat with the ACLO who covers your AFCO; he/she can talk you through options you may not have thought of and you can then make an informed choice.

15. IMO the UCAS points arepointless. All they show is that you may be a bit smart but even at that they cannot be certain. What I am trying to say is that I did nothing for any of my exams and I mean nothing. I managed to get the results because I was fortunate enough to get lucky in my exams i.e the right questions came up.

What these points do not take into consideration is the hard work that people may have put in to achieve certain grade. For example my mates studied alot for their exams but came out with C's which they, to say the least, where dissapointed in. Eventhough a C is a pass they felt that they deserved a better grade because they had studied more than me (which is not hard).

Also many people have an off day in exams and others nerves get to them. Therefore I think the exams, not so much UCAS points, are not a good way to test people. If it where me I would test people in every part of a specific course and therefore weak points aswell as strong points will be highlighted and a grade which is suitable for said person will be given, rather than a one off exam.

WATP
    Jonny

16. AMEN BROTHER!

17. I agree with this actually, exams are far more of a stress test imo. Even at University, exams are debatable unless of course you are doing closed questions. Strict practical and theoretical assessment on a regular basis would be far superior. I know folks who are apt as a brick covered in treacle yet they have the capacity to memorise information to a sufficient enough degree to hit the correct points on a paper and pass. :?

Seriously though mate, really consider going in as an officer- many on here have told of endless torment being stuck at a lower rank when they are fully capable of more..

18. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Really? I don't think I've seen those threads.

Jonny, I applaud your honesty, but weigh up your options carefully before committing to anything. It seems you are probably switched on enough for orifice, but it's not for everyone. Talk to your AFCO, and anyone else whose counsel you value then decide what is right for you.

19. Cheers for the reply's people. To tiddlyoggly, I have spoken to my dad about it all and he agrees that I should go in as a rating. My self conficdence is not a problem but the responsibility is not something I want on my shoulders from the very beginning of my career. No doubt when I join and suss things out a little I will want to be promoted as soon as possible. At least if I go in as a rating I can gain the promotions necessary to be an officer but if you go in straight away as an officer you have less time to suss things out. This is just my opinion and I understand and respect other people opinions and I seriously applaud the balls on some people going to be an officer from the off but it is just not for me.

WATP
    Jonny

20. I've seen it mentioned on several thread where people are applying as a rating even though they posess qualifications good enough to apply as an Officer.

I can't be bothered to do a search but it was something along the lines of 'you'll be reet annoyed being talked down to by a senior rate with less brains thatn a rocken horse an yee are clearly way more qualified mon'

I had the same problem when I was at school with teachers :D