Applying to join the RNR on the officer route.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by MT82LFC, Nov 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As stated in the title I have applied to join the RNR on the officer route.

What I would like to know is the structure of training involved after acceptance.

Thanks in advance

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Why Officer and why not rating?

3. Cos he doesn't want to work for a living:cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. To be serious I do believe that if someone has the educational qualifications to join as an occifer then they should attempt to do so.
    Many however will have the educational requirements but will not have the other qualities that the AIB are looking for.
    Better to have tried and failed though, can still join as a rating and try from within.

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Slim - the challenge for the RNR is that a lot of people decide they automatically want to be an officer and go down this route. Its a challenging route and not for everyone but it also involves a heavy time commitment and realisation that it will be many years before you can be deployable.

By contrast joining as a rating, you can often be trained more quickly and deployable far faster - particularly as there is a higher call out requirement for AB-LH level. I would personally ask anyone joining why they are joining and see if its to deploy as quickly as possible - in those circumstances I would always advise going in as an AB then raising CW papers post deployment if they so wished.

In terms of timelines, a good new entry AB can usually deploy within 2 years of joining, while an Officer is usually in the 7-9 years simply because of the different requirements (e.g. most officer posts are usually senior Lts and above these days).

6. But PT if he follows your advice he will get given an inferior uniform and miss loads and loads of cockers Ps:D

7. I appreciate both routes into the RNR but for me I have worked very hard in everything I have done up to this point in my life. I regrettably left the RN before completing my basic training as an artificer apprentice due to failing my engineering exam.
    Since this moment in my life I have always aimed high and I will continue to do so. I feel I have a lot of leadership experience and will power to overcome tough times (I am a teacher in a college for young people with learning difficulties) and am looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead of me.
    If I fail in this task I have no problems with joining as a rating and working just as hard and with as much dedication as if I had been successful in my original plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. It would seem that you certainly did not work hard enough during your RN time so failed your engineering exam. Times change but if you did not make it as a tiffy what makes you think you will make it as an occifer?
    Are standards in the RNR lower than those in the RN?

9. I was expecting this answer from somebody.
    Yes times do change, 16 years and 4 children later (of which 2 I had during my 3 year degree including my little boy who was 3 months premature) make you a very different person to the boy who leaves school with no idea what the world is about.
    I know the standards are equally as high if not higher as I will have a lot to prove to myself, my family and the service itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2