Applying to be a Warfare Office!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by simon369, Nov 9, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am interested in joining as a Warfare Officer and I have the correct amount of UCAS points but don't have a Degree! Will this stand against me because I have noticed on here, that a lot of the people who say they are applying have Degree's etc?

Also does anybody know how Warfare officer stands compared to the other Officer roles in terms of difficulty of getting a place?

Thanks a lot,

2. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Makes no difference , look at me no Degree and one of the finest officers to grace this mans, and woman's, Navy.
  3. No, not having a degree doesn't make a damn bit of difference to the Navy in real terms - if you're up to the standard they set, you'll be fine. The only real difference you would notice is that you would enter as a Midshipman, rather than a Sub-Lieutenant. You would be trained in exactly the same way, to do exactly the same job. I'm not certain as to the reasons for this, as I have yet to actually join!

I'm not best placed to answer your question regarding how difficult the job may be - ask me in 18 months, and I'll let you know!
  4. You'll gain a degree anyway at Dartmouth for free whilst being paid - so you'll emerge with no debt some cash saved away whilst you school contemporaries (if you are ~18) will have a BA in whatever from some redbrick and >£30k of debt.

Plus middies have more time in the navy itself to rack up experience and get promoted.

Even if you're older with no degree it is still worth doing rather than getting a degree now and then going in. Be prepared to be asked at AIB why you haven't gone to university, but they'll potentially question why you went to university if you did so it isn't a killer question. Most people have degrees these days but there are a decent number of middies at Dartmouth.

As for Warfare, based on the last intake it is harder than WE but easier than Logistics.
  5. That's what the careers guy told me. He told me I can extend a 6th form scholarship to include uni, but I'll get a degree at Dartmouth anyway. And those three years are better spent gaining seniority and experience
  6. Why do you want to be a warfare office? It's just a compartment where the chops m drinks lots of tea and stitches people up for gash gangway duties.

Become a machinery control room instead, people get naked in there and press lots of cool buttons.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Negativo, become the after SIS. It's where the magic happens baby.

(That's sexy magic by the way, not TAS gayness.)
  8. Or alternately, if you don't like getting your hands dirty become a Main Communications Office. There's just as many buttons but you can get sound effects and flashing lights too. Not everyone is allowed in so it's sort of elite! Also it's where the best looking chicks onboard work.
  9. Just make sure you put the cover over the hole for the DC cable runs - otherwise everyone sneaking aft to the AX for a smoke will be queueing up to watch!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MLP - I'm surprised you know what the After SIS is; that said I only find it when the chaps lead me down there for rounds.....
  11. Actually that's a fair one, the SIS is pretty epic, it's definitely my favourite compartment on 3 deck. It's much better than the computer room or the gyro compartment.
  12. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fibber. You told me your favourite compartment was on the chewing end of the stokers gloryhole.
  13. That's on 2 deck silly.
  14. Hence your name of 2 deck dash.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Blackrat

What the hell would i know? Port, starboard, pointy end, blunty end. It's all the same to me.

As the yoof would say, my bad.
  16. You wouldn't want to be making that sort of mistake onboard. If for instance, one were to accidentally end up at the Fijian Steward's glory hole instead of the Stoker's glory hole, you'd ******* know about it shipmate I can tell you.
  17. Blackrat

It happened to a mate of mine as it goes. He ended up with an arse like a windsock.