Applying for the TMO Officer Role but no GCSE math

Skyrabin

I have not done GCSE math but I really think I have the skills for GCSE math. I'm currently doing law at a top university (LSE, UCL, Oxbridge) and have had an internship at a well known bulge bracket bank doing work in risk where the skills required definitely surpasses GCSE math. I have also done an internship at an engineering firm (environmental) where I was also required to use math skills to carry out compliance analysis. Additionally, I have done practice papers on both the GCSE and RN's Mathematical Reasoning test and scored close to full marks. I'm even doing financial accounting as a module in university now if that matters and am scoring very very well. Will not having GCSE math disqualify me from applying?

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
One way to find out, and that's to ask at an AFCO.

When you say you're studying law 'at a top university - LSE / UCL / Oxbridge', which one? I harbour slight suspicions that all may not be as it seems...........

Skyrabin

I'm just guessing here, but if says you need GCSE maths they probably mean just that.
I am very silly. After calling my local AFCO, it turns out that I do have the A-Level equivalent of math! I didn't know they accepted IB HL math in lieu of not having GCSEs!

Skyrabin

One way to find out, and that's to ask at an AFCO.

When you say you're studying law 'at a top university - LSE / UCL / Oxbridge', which one? I harbour slight suspicions that all may not be as it seems...........
What do you mean?

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Dear (Potential) Sir/Ma'am,

If you are going to be an instructor officer in the Royal Navy and, therefore teaching the likes of me, please, to go with the Queen's commission that you evidently wish to gain, could you use the Queen's English?

MATHS
Bloody Yanks....

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
I am very silly. After calling my local AFCO, it turns out that I do have the A-Level equivalent of math! I didn't know they accepted IB HL math in lieu of not having GCSEs!
If you have such sharp levels of research & analysis you will do well in a branch such as TMO.

In all seriousness, is English your first language? I ask because if you are a foreign national then they will insist on you passing some manner of English language exam before joining.

Latest Threads