Applying for the Subs and RFA question

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by disaster_manager, Jun 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just applied for Marine Engineer (Submarines) today, however can I submit an application for Marine Engineer in the RFA too?

And also are there realistic job prospects in these trades outside the Navy?

2. Why would you want to? Surely a simpler solution would be, one or the other?
    And yes, as an ME you are trained to fix everything and anything, except for weapons, on a ship, so there are plenty of job prospects in civvie street.
  3. If you are looking to join the RFA to then you will have to sit the same psychometric test that you do for the RN/RM. Just ask in the careers office on your next visit or have a look on the website!

I agree with the post above, there are loads of prospects when you have had enough of the RN/RFA. Im a weapons engineer and I would recommend the engineering branch to anyone who wants a career in engineer and doesn’t want to go down the Collage/Uni route.

Good Luck

4. Probably a question you should have asked before submitting your application. Or perhaps I'm just old fashioned.
  5. Have you been to the RFA's Toys Out Of The Pram (TOOTP) website?

Lots of information on there about the RFA and engineering. The RFA is owned and operated by the MOD and crew are civil servants. The RN is an armed service.

The two careers are similar with training done at HMS Sultan / Collingwood but there are are a few fundamental differences. i'm not sure if you can apply for both at the same time as both it does change from time to time. No doubt someone with AFCO knowledge on here will shed some light.
  6. And aeroplanes :D
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally, whilst you can apply for RN, Army & RAF simultaneously, (besides the fact it looks like an act of desperation) for RN/RFA trades we want you to choose which job you want as first preference. If you don't make the grade in the first instance, then go for the second option.

Marine Engineering is a fairly versatile trade when it comes to taking-up civilian employment. Secondary spin-off trades can be as diverse as commissioning engineer, domestic electrician, commercial electrician, vehicle mechanic, plumber, college lecturer, NVQ assessor, air conditioning/refrigeration technician, careers adviser, etc. etc. The world's your lobster basically, as indeed it is with all RN trades.