Applying for motorman .... again!

Discussion in 'RFA' started by chocky, Mar 22, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Some obligatory noob questions coming up if ya don't mind team!! Cheers in advance!

So, applied to join earlier in the year as a motorman, had my test (RT?) at Plymouth AFCO and passed that then got offered an interview in pompey but I had to pull out due to various family problems. Emailed the lass that I had to deal with about the interview and she tells me motorman applications will be opening again soon for intake late this year/early next year but I forgot to ask, obviously I'll have to re apply but will my test score still stand or do I have to do that again as well?

Also, being ex navy will I bypass Raleigh? Not that I want to, I just heard a rumour that I wouldn't be going. Kinda want to for nostalgia purposes :D

Finally would it be better to get things like my ENG1 and seamans book etc sorted before I join?

I'll probably have more questions but having a bit of a brain fart atm..

TVM!!

Si

2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Your RT pass is valid for 3 years I believe, Ninja Stoker can confirm this when he's about.

You won't go to Raleigh. MM2 training is conducted at Sultan. If you want to go to Raleigh then join as a deckie.

You won't be required to get your ENG1 or Discharge Book unless you receive a provisional offer.

Why do people start sentences with "So..."?

• Like Like x 1
  3. W.W.F.is a motorman?

4. exJenny

• Like Like x 1
  5. RFA stoker

6. I'm not sure that there is a definitive answer to that, ExJ, but a fair bit has been said and written to try and answer that question! I have to say, I can see how it filtered into speech but am surprised that it has inveigled its way into the written word.

BBC News - Today - So does starting a sentence with 'so' annoy you?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/22/us/22iht-currents.html?_r=0

So, here's a carefully packaged sentence that shows me in my best light | Oliver James | Comment is free | theguardian.com

It's so annoying ยป The Spectator

7. Perfect. Cheers for that :)

Funnily enough it annoys me as well... Yet I still do it...

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

8. exJenny

You're welcome.

Now pack it in!

• Like Like x 1
  9. I always see 'So' as a prelude to a question, from the outset the listener knows to expect a question alot of the time. Doesn't really bother me, seems to be quite prevelent in American programmes I watched growing up, maybe you're all just old? :D

Joking...

So, nice weather huh?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

ExJ is spot-on, RT is valid 3 yrs.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The best number to call is the 08 number on the website, it puts you through to the RFA Recruiting team in Pompey and they have their finger on the pulse. The AFCOs only undertake the initial tests, so they only know when selection is taking place by the flurry of last minute bids for RFA test places.

• Like Like x 1
  13. exJenny

I completed the online form and recruitment called me to tell me when the next drive would be. They called me the day before recruiting opened to see if I was still interested and it went from there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The 08 number is the one I use, I'll just keep trying it Ninja, thanks.
    I'll have a look at the online application route exJ, thanks for that tip.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

15. exJenny

It's an online form to raise interest rather than an application form.

16. Just been looking at that. Can see the online application, but not the raising an interest one. Whereabouts is it if you don't mind me asking exJ?

17. exJenny

It's that form but don't think of it as an application form. The proper one is paper and sent out to you when they are recruiting.

18. I'll have a look at that again, but the role I'm interested in doesn't come up, I'm assuming because its not currently available.
    Thanks exJ.