Applying for mine clearance diver

Div22

Midshipman
I just applied to be a mine clearance diver but I have two plates in my right forearm. They don't cause any issues with exercise. Would this hinder my application?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It depends where they are, why they are there, whether they still need to be there and whether there are an restrictions now or likely in future.

In short, no-one can really give a definitive answer until the relevant medical expert scrutinises your medical history relating to the issue.

Best of luck.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks ninja, hopefully they give me the all clear!
I genuinely hope so too - we want people to pass!

Top tip - get a complete copy of your medical records relating to the injury including dates & location/extent of the break, the treatment, surgical procedure, rehabilitation, etc., and take it all to your first Medical Appointment - It should greatly speed-up the process.

Div22

Midshipman
They actually have all that. I was discharged with my arm im May from basic training. But the kind of discharge means I don't have to wait to re-apply and to come back as soon as I'm fit. I've gone away and got it all sorted I had minor adhesions that still hasn't been sorted. But I've had physio(which I actually should of had a while ago) to sort the issue and I'm doing a lot of crossfit/heavy lifting and circuits. I just hope the plates have nothing to do with the job itself, like to do with the pressure or anything.

Div22

Midshipman
Although I changed to diver as it was my original choice but I was to young when I applied. Thought I'd take advantage of the opertunity.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not quite sure I understand - were you medically discharged in May this year due to an injury that occurred in training, were you discharged because of an undisclosed pre-existing injury (your arm), or did you PVR from training a few months back, having declared the injury at your initial medical?

Div22

Midshipman
I was discharged this may due to my arm. They said to go away and get it looked at then come back when I'm fit.

Div22

Midshipman
I inured it but it wasn't mager. Sometimes I get discomfort due to adhesions that need to be broken down. But they took it as an injury and discharged me.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
If discharged due to an undisclosed, pre-existing injury which wasn't declared and cleared at the AFCO Medical examination, then whilst the individual may re-apply when fit to do so, it is not assured. Technically, it could be viewed as a fraudulent application and re-entry is therefore not guaranteed. This isn't because of the type of injury but by virtue of the fact it was not disclosed when originally and specifically asked.

Latest Threads