Applying for Communications Apprentice

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Greenation, May 23, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok I've been looking into joining the RFA because it seems to be an interesting life (mainly attracted to travelling around and living on a ship) and also because I'm 25-year-old and working in McDonalds.

I was thinking of applying for Communications Apprentice but I can't find anything on what training an RFA entrant has from their first day in the RFA to the time they're fully qualified in their selected discipline.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It would be greatly appreciated. :)
  2. Welcome to the Fold! I'm in currently waiting the result of my Psychometric test, I applied for Seaman Apprentice.
  3. Information about the courses is hard to find unless someone on here can help you, however if you get an interview you will be told in detail what you will do during the course that's what happened when I went for my interview for chef apprentice
  4. Does everyone need to go to Portsmouth for the interview?

I live in Teesside and I'm thinking I would have to fly. Either way it's a massive trek.
  5. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Yes you would have to make the effort to go to Portsmouth if you want a job.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex-wren. Don't blame me if it all goes tits up.
  6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There is no shame in working in McDonalds. It's work. The irony is that those who take the piss are those who sit on their fat arses all day eating taxpayer funded McDonalds.

But good luck.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I have been looking for info on the communications apprentice too, hard to find but to be honest since decided its what I want I care less. Just excited about the journey and hope I get see it through. Have my test on June 2nd
  8. Had my test this morning and I got a reply within a few hours of leaving AFCO that I had fulfilled the requirements for a Comms Apprentice. Now it says I'm in a "Sifting Process."
  9. Oh nice mate , I haven't got any reply yet
  10. I have my test in the morning. Been practising as much as I can but I don't feel it's the type of test you can revise for, just been trying to get used to the timing. I'm less worried about the test and more worried about having to wait how I have done after.
  11. Personally, I struggled with the maths the most so whenever there was a question I wasn't sure about I just moved onto the next question. This was so I didn't drop marks on easier questions purely because I ran out of time before getting to them.

Overall though, I think you'll be fine.
  12. I passed my test for Comms Apprentice back in April and am just waiting on the sift now myself and find that I am checking my emails every couple of hours at least to see if there is any news (fingers crossed).

I know if successful, the first seventeen weeks is spent at HMS Collingwood in Fareham (close to Portsmouth) learning how to use equipment and the job in general then it's four months at sea and then another sixteen weeks at HMS Collingwood and then another two stints at sea for training (which I assume are four months).
  13. Passed my test today for communications apprentice, they said they are doing sift on the 25th June so shouldn't have to wait to long to find out if I get an interview. I'm really nervous now feels like it's out of my control.
  14. I was told the 25th too.

And yes it really would be kak if we never got in.

There's always the Royal Navy but I don't fancy that. Sounds like a different vibe altogether.
  15. Don't really fancy the navy, I've tried to talk myself into it as a second option but the RFA stands out to me. Plus I got played a dvd at the AFCO today talking about 9 months deployments, no thanks.
  16. Had a letter this morning. Past sift and have a interview on the 11th August.
  17. Same here geekboy. Think I'll have to fly down and stay in a hotel the night before though.
  18. Where are you travelling from? I'm Nottingham so an early train should be fine.
  19. Liverpool. Train is five hours and my interview is quite early.
  20. I've been lucky with an early afternoon slot.