Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Applying directly as a submariner - later options

dyltom2712

Midshipman
Hello,
I have been looking through the past threads but I am looking for a definite answer.

If you join H.M.S Raleigh with the intentions to become a submariner. Could you ever transfer from boats to G.S if you do not like, it due to the lack of foreign visits etc?

In short, no.

This publication - BR3(1) Chap 51 - gives details, but to offer the salient points

The right to return to General Service after 5 years applies only to those recruited as GS who subsequently volunteer (or are volunteered) and wish to transfer back. BR3(1) para 5126c refers - "Volunteers. Eligible ratings may volunteer at any point of their career (subject to Para 5126 sub para b). This is for a minimum period of five years from the award of the submarine basic qualification (SMQ/BSQ/Dolphins)."

For those recruited as submariners, referring to those still on the Untrained Strength, para 5113 states - "Rating Transfers – Submarines to General Service. Transfer requests from those recruited directly into the SM arm are normally only granted for medical reasons since SM recruits do not have the right to transfer to GS and any transfer is made in accordance with the needs of the Service."

For those on the Trained Strength that were recruited directly as submariners, para 5127 states - "Submariners who were recruited directly into the SM Service (as opposed to joining the GS initially and subsequently transferring to submarines) have no right to transfer to GS. However, exceptionally, they may submit a branch transfer request to do so in accordance with Para 5125. The request will be considered by the relevant Branch Manager"

In short, no.

This publication - BR3(1) Chap 51 - gives details, but to offer the salient points

The right to return to General Service after 5 years applies only to those recruited as GS who subsequently volunteer (or are volunteered) and wish to transfer back. BR3(1) para 5126c refers - "Volunteers. Eligible ratings may volunteer at any point of their career (subject to Para 5126 sub para b). This is for a minimum period of five years from the award of the submarine basic qualification (SMQ/BSQ/Dolphins)."

For those recruited as submariners, referring to those still on the Untrained Strength, para 5113 states - "Rating Transfers – Submarines to General Service. Transfer requests from those recruited directly into the SM arm are normally only granted for medical reasons since SM recruits do not have the right to transfer to GS and any transfer is made in accordance with the needs of the Service."

For those on the Trained Strength that were recruited directly as submariners, para 5127 states - "Submariners who were recruited directly into the SM Service (as opposed to joining the GS initially and subsequently transferring to submarines) have no right to transfer to GS. However, exceptionally, they may submit a branch transfer request to do so in accordance with Para 5125. The request will be considered by the relevant Branch Manager"

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add; I know personally individuals who having been recruited as SM who were allowed to transfer to GS, but you should not go into this thinking that that means you'll be able to. The rules are clear - a request will be considered but can be turned down, and you have no right to expect otherwise.

I should add; I know personally individuals who having been recruited as SM who were allowed to transfer to GS, but you should not go into this thinking that that means you'll be able to. The rules are clear - a request will be considered but can be turned down, and you have no right to expect otherwise.
Hence my response of "possibly" but good to have the chapter from the BR :)

I read most of these queries as "There's a long wait to get into the RN but if I go in as a Submariner it's shorter, I'll then kick off and having jumped the queue, go into General Service.

I read most of these queries as "There's a long wait to get into the RN but if I go in as a Submariner it's shorter, I'll then kick off and having jumped the queue, go into General Service.
What's worrying isn't that you're probably correct, but that I think that is an idea the seed of which is often planted by Careers Officers. There will always be those that just don't listen or think - despite all the evidence - that they know better, but the numbers of recruits that arrive at Raleigh thinking they can do exactly that suggests it's because they're being wilfully mis-informed.

What's worrying isn't that you're probably correct, but that I think that is an idea the seed of which is often planted by Careers Officers. There will always be those that just don't listen or think - despite all the evidence - that they know better, but the numbers of recruits that arrive at Raleigh thinking they can do exactly that suggests it's because they're being wilfully mis-informed.
CA's telling porkies to get people through the doors...never

I remember when I went in to apply, said i was interested in mechanics.
"Oh well you want OM then as that's operator mechanic"

Luckily I'd done some swotting up before hand and saw through it

The Submarine service of course isn’t for everyone but I never met a Submariner who wasn’t happy with his decision to volunteer, my daughter actually has expressed an interest in a career in the Submarine Service which I’d fully support!

And I spent my last 4 months in the mob at HMS Dolphin so I knew a few!

Latest Threads