Applying as a Medical Officer.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by LostForWords, Aug 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Gang,

I've only just come across this forum, so bare with me if I posted this in the wrong section :(

For many years now, I have had the passion for joining the Royal Navy and at the same time, a passion for giving direct medical treatment to people ect. And what better way to combine them both, and apply as a Medical Officer.

Currently I am only just nearing the end of my GCSEs, however, everything is going well, I have knuckled down and I am expecting to acheive 100% A*-C grades. So no problems there :)

I will be starting my A-Levels soon, but I have a few questions.
    According to the Royal Navy Job Role page, the age range is stated as 17-55, however, you can only enter Medical School at (generally) at 18. So, do you need to apply at 17? or Do you apply after you have graduated? or Do you apply before you start studying (Although it does state this in the 'Qualifications' section).

Also, what is the pay like (as a Medical Officer)!? I must stress, I am not really fussed about pay, as the pay is NOT important to me, serving among people of my country is! The only reason I ask, is Medical School is expensive, and I don't have any Part Time job as of yet (to start putting money aside) and while studying I don't really intend on getting a job, purely because I would like to devote all my time to studying - however, at the same time, I do not wish to be left with sums of money left owing :( I have heard that there is a cadetship for Medicine Students, which acts like a bursary, but however, is this available to every student? As with other allowances/EMA I have not been eligible due to my parents salary :(

Sorry about all the questions, as these were the same questions posed to the 'Connexions Career Advisor' (supposedly a 'Royal Navy' expert) however, she was totally confused herself :(

2. There are a few RN careers advisors who post on here, so they should be able to put you right, but you are inevitably going to have to visit your local Armed Forces Careers Office (referred to as the AFCO) to get things rolling. My advice would be to have a wander down as soon as you have time. They'll have all the answers to your questions or will be able to put you in touch with those who can.

Hope this helps.
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the site.

For Medical Officer, you can apply for sponsorship during your first year at med school (after A2's), for payment AFTER you have completed the first two years of your 5 year medical degree.

You need to pass the Recruiting Test, Sift Interview & Admiralty Interview Board & subsequent selection. There is a large increase in the amount of trained medical officers required due to ongoing overseas conflict & fully trained Doctors are being recruited into the RNR to bolster current manning levels with short term operational contracts.

Current rates of sponsorship are approx: 3rd yr £14k, 4th £15k & 5th £16k. Pre-registration income at today's rates is around £38k once you graduate.

Good luck.
  4. Right, I'm not a medical student myself, but I'll see if I can help.

Cadetships as far as I know, have nothing to do with parents' salaries. You apply and go through selection similar to a 6th Form Scholarship. If it works the same way as the army one, you would have to join the URNU at your university, and when you reach third year (or complete, can't quite remember which) you are given a commission, in the RN's case probably as a Midshipman, in the RNR. During your time at med school you would be salaried, certiainly once you have the commission, but when you graduate you will either have to pay the money back or commit a certain amount of time to the RN, which doesn't sound like it will be a problem in your case. So you'll be receiving money for doing all this, but you will have to commit to doing stuff with your URNU, but it's a lot less onerous than working in bars.

As for standard entry, you should be able to apply whenever. The age range may go to 55, but to apply I reckon you would probably have to be under 39. You don't have to apply straight from uni or even before, as my father was a doctor in the NHS for years before he joined the RAF as a medical officer.

Hope this has helped! Of course, the best place to get information would be through your local armed forces careers office.
  5. Thanks. I still have a week (or two) left of my holidays, so I will be popping down soon.
  6. Thanks for your post ;) As for the tests (Recruiting Test, Sift Interview & Admiralty Interview Board & Subsequent Selection), I assume I do those before I start studying (during A2s)? or would they be done during?

(Sorry for all the questions again, I might as well get some loose info now, and then ask any questions that lead from the responces I get at the AFCO)
  7. Thanks, that helps a ton.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

The recruiting test is valid for 3 years, so you can sit that before or after your A2's it doesn't really matter. I'd advise you sit it sooner rather than later and then your Sift interview will establish where you are now & where you need to be before attending AIB, so you have heaps of time to prepare & hopefully not, but if needs be, re-take.

Best of luck.
  9. I joined as a medical student and was on a cadetship. I did my AIB in the summer of my second year at med school and my joining date was the first day of my third year, so I was paid for my last three years at uni. The salary as a medical cadet does not depend on what your parents earn. You will a return of service once you commission as "pay back" for your sponsorship.

You don't have to go to URNU, but it is encouraged if you can. You join as a Surgeon Sub-Lieutenant and become an Acting Surgeon Lieutenant from the date of your provisional registration with the GMC. You become a substantive Surg Lt on the date of your full GMC registration. This is also the date of your commission.

I did my final year elective with the Navy and spent half of it in America with the US military med students and the other half in Hong Kong. It was a hard life.

Depending on which med school you get in to, your first two years follow a normal undergraduate pattern of term time and holidays, so there is plenty of opportunity to get a holiday job. Once in the clinical years, the amount of holiday goes down and some people had Saturday jobs.

I really hope you don't really mean you'd like to devote all your time to studying!

Feel free to PM.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Following on from Dr Wibble, the AFRB recommendations appear to be have been pretty much implemented according to Medical Officer Rates of Pay.

(Pre-registration is now £39.5k & sponsorship approx £14k, £16k & nearly £18k for years 3,4 & 5 of your med school sponsorship).

Were it not for the fact I only have a CSE in woodwork, being a Doctor would have been my aspiration as it appears to be where the bucks are.