Applying as a commonwealth citizen?

josh321

Midshipman
Hello,

I am applying to the Royal Marines as a Commonwealth citizen. I send in my application through the Royal Navy portal on the 16th of November, and it is currently under assessment. Previously, I thought it would take a week to get a response and move on to the next step. However, all I got from the AFCO at Aberdeen was a response stating they received my application and are currently processing it. 2 weeks went by and I still didn't hear from them, so I got in touch with the Commonwealth team and they directed to the office in London. After I contacted the London office, they sent me a medical questionnaire via e-mail. I am to fill it in and send it back to them. In one of the forms I received, it stated that I required police verification from my host country and that this verification could take up to 6 months. My questions are as follows:

1. Will it be easier (or allowed) if I get the police verification, etc, done myself and then just presented the papers to the concerned department in the UK, so as to save them (and myself) the time and hassle of doing it on a much later date?
2. Can the medical questionnaire I was sent me filled out by hand, and a scanned copy sent to the same e-mail I received it from?
3. I was told that the London office is currently dealing with a 4-week backlog of applications. When would be a good time to get back in touch with them? (Just an approximation). Its been over a month since my application process is still on the "Assessing Suitability" tab in the Royal Navy portal and I am getting a bit anxious.
4. Through the news, I was informed that the UK military is operating at a 5% deficit in personnel and this is why the 5-year residency requirement is lifted. Do outsiders (those without the 5-year requirement) take a lower priority in the applications process?

I am grateful for any help or advice on the matter.

Thanks
Josh

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
1. Yes. But, don't confuse it with Security Clearance - that can take a while, even with a police check print-out.

2. Yes. Apparently not. Hard copies only. Remember to include any relevant medical notes relating to any declared medical condition together with your completed optician report form.

3. If applying from overseas, you should ask London to hand you off to your preferred AFCO (once eligibility is confirmed). The overseas desk is probably closed from tomorrow until 7th Jan. There is around a four week lag due to the volume of overseas applicants (Over 2000 since 5th Nov).

4. No. If anything, overseas applicants are processed quicker to minimise the costs incurred to the individual during their stay time in UK to complete selection. Most overseas applicants who travel to UK to complete selection, can get it cracked in a couple of weeks (including PRMC) if they arrive adequately prepared and establish comms via email with their processing AFCO well in advance of their arrival.

More here: https://www.royalmarines.uk/threads/commonwealth-citizens-apply-now.113868/

Last edited:

datlaidbackdude

Midshipman
Hi @josh321
Am also a commonwealth applicant and the overseas desk does not accept scanned copies of documents and also the police certificate should not take over 2 weeks(dont know about your country)but told them i need one asap for travelling purposes and it was fast tracked.
Also yes the medical questionnaire can be filled by hand but please and please again do not scan and send by mail.
I am currently waiting to be invited for a face to face medical in the UK since i have had my triage call with the nurse last week

josh321

Midshipman
@datlaidbackdude

Thanks so much for the heads up.
May I ask how you send your questionnaire? Was it through post? If so, do you mind providing me with address you mailed it to?

Thanks a lot
Josh

datlaidbackdude

Midshipman
Through air mail(DHL) to CPO G**** J*******, overseas desk,
AFCO London (RN)
Armed Forces Careers Office
Yeomanry House
TA Centre Handel Street
LONDON
WC1N 1NP

For security reasons i cant put his name here

*they do not accept emails because of viruses(attachments).

You attach the questionnaire and the certificates and information they asked for and he will do the sorting i.e questionnaire to capita etc.

josh321

Midshipman
Great! Thanks.

I received an e-mail from the same office, and know the name of the individual in question. Shouldn't be an issue.
Thanks again!

datlaidbackdude

Midshipman
@Ninja_Stoker
Please since there are over 2000 applicants with more coming in each and everyday from overseas and the RN and RM are recruiting around 300 my question is

- Is it going to be 1st 300 applicants or all will be given an opportunity to come prove ourselves.Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
@Ninja_Stoker
Please since there are over 2000 applicants with more coming in each and everyday from overseas and the RN and RM are recruiting around 300 my question is

- Is it going to be 1st 300 applicants or all will be given an opportunity to come prove ourselves.Thanks
The intention is to process all applicants - bear in mind there will be a large percentage who fail to meet the eligibility criteria and even then, for Royal Marines, I'd guess only about one in thirty (conservative estimate) make the grade. If more make the grade than places available, they'll just be carried over to the following year.

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
It would be interesting, personal security bourne in mind, to know which overseas countries people are applying from, who knows it could be your next door neighbour.

Latest Threads