Applied to Join on the Officer Route

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by MT82LFC, Nov 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As stated in the title I have applied to join the RNR on the officer route.

What I would like to know is the structure of training involved after acceptance.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I have posted this in the recruitment forum too but do not seem to be getting too many constructive answers. Thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. Why do you think the answers will be different here? What would make them constructive?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Well 'Alfred' I am sure you are smart enough to know what makes an answer constructive or not, I am just after any personal experiences or pointers to information (thanks BH) that may be of use to me.

I am not asking for the world, just a little help from anybody that may be 'willing'.

4. I'm sure you're "Smart" enough to use the search function then!

Having an attitude like that will get you nowhere. If you have posted this topic on two different forums and got a similar response on both, does that not say something. (I hope this is constructive)
  5. I apologise if that came across as having an attitude, it was not meant in that way at all.
    The reason I have posted on two is because I am trying to give myself the best chance possible of succeeding in this by researching all I can. I have spent many an hour on the internet searching various sites, forums and conversations and have found little that satisfies the questions in my mind and so posted here as recommended by staff at my unit.

6. MT
    which unit will you be joining?

And as to what happens next:
    As soon as the AFCO interview has been successfully conducted, and whilst waiting for AIB, you may (I say may as some units don't engage as much as others) be attested as a Probationary Recruit. This means you will be paid for attending the unit, and for going to your medical etc, if AIB successful, and as soon as you have completed medical, sy clearance and passed yor PJFT, you should be allocated to the unit as an Officer Cadet.

You will then join the Recruits for in-unit training and go on a few weekends, then off to BRNC (after a week's rifle course). You then crack on with your task book and spend 2 weeks at sea before passing your Fleetboard. You then join the spec/branch "of your choice" and conduct spec/branch training.

If you don't pass your AIB, you should be able to continue as a rating recruit.

Any more questions, please shout - hope this was useful.

7. As SR has highlighted the training has moved on even from that linked to in the article by Branch-Hopper.

The pipeline is also now a 3 year one, with continuing professional training post fleetboard before you do big branch training - you need to do the Divisional Officers course and more leadership training.

Your first year of training should be heavily directed in unit and on national weekends, covering everything the ratings do with lots of other topics.
  8. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Project Hermes will very soon swing into place . If you commit to 7 weeks training over Summer 2015, you could become an RNR Officer. It's a fast track scheme that starts with an AIB and ends with a Fleetboard. I'm looking for a few good Men (and Women). Where in the country are you?
  9. Thanks for the info guys, I have put my name down at my unit so will see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Genius, the RNR has just re-invented the RNR fastrack officer scheme (OPUS) from the early 00s's. Plus ca change...

If only the RNR spent half as much time on retention and career management of the officers its got as it did on recruiting junior officers, rather than just assuming they'll hang around indefinitely, then that may make things slightly easier.

Instead, it seems jolly good at bringing people in for a few years and watching them dissapear when they realise the utter tedium of life post fleet board.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. I'm going to throw this question out there, cat amongst the pigeons and all that. From a regular, why join the RNR? What is it that makes civvies give up spare time for the forces? And why don't RNR complain and force change to a system that clearly isn't working?
    • Like Like x 2
  12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Fixed that for you, nothing has changed since I was in.

The first part is a really good question and oddly when I was in the Reserves some of the better people held hugely responsible and time consuming civvy jobs and still managed to be superb in the RNR. This was at the end of the MSF days, so it was easier to have a focus (in my view). I really marvelled at those people and many, who are still friends, were just of that type that needed to do more and wanted variety. Of course there will be many reasons.
    As for complaining and changing - it's happened before, but the MR is increasingly self managed, so who to complain to? In the Days of DNRes it was largely the RN with the hand on the management tiller at the HQ overseeing the Regional DDs and SO1s, now there are a lot more MR in the chain at HQ, I'd expect them to see and understand the frustrations/issues.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Digger - excellent question, well asked.

I resigned the other week, in a completely avoidable manner due more to the RNR not recognising that loyalty and recognition are a two way street, and that if it wants to recruit high calibre good quality people, it shouldn't act surprised when they turn around and go 'happy to deploy, but not now because it is going to kill my mortgage paying career if I do have to go, so please don't force the issue because there is only one outcome' and it then continues to try and deploy them...

I have a much longer, far more scathing answer to offer in due course, but I'm waiting for the formal acknowledgement of my resignation first because knowing the RNR, they'll have a temper tantrum if someone posts something they don't like on the internet. This is the organisation after all that marked me down in my last and final OJAR for posting a picture of myself in uniform on Facebook citing personal security reasons. The fact that the same picture was of myself briefing SofS Defence, and was on the front page of the MOD webpage for a week seemed to have passed them by.
    • Like Like x 4
  14. You just lack moral courage old bean.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. We constantly here about the high quality of people who are in the reserve, who hold down high quality jobs in CivvyStrasse, who bring niche skills to the Reserve, some of whom run their own companies etc etc.

If this is the case, why are the Reserve struggling to manage people (As per Twiglet above), surely Reservist are the best people to manage Reservists as we are told that only the Reserve can understand the special circumstances involved.
  16. wave_dodger

Because, as in the Regulars, I will dare to offer, we are terrible at managing people. Generalising, We leave OJARs/SJARs as late as possible and we lump Divisional responsibilities onto people who either are too busy, not properly trained/experienced or simply not very good at it. Being the Reserves because time is very compressed and all of that admin is an additional overhead you can see how it could be the least important thing is the eyes of some.

And as for recognising the worth of an individual and managing a career............
    • Like Like x 1
  17. As a Regular, I would suggest that Reservists managing Reservists if fine and dandy right until you reach the self-licking ice cream point; then you become a waste of rations and money.

It is interesting that none (and I say none, for emphasis) of the recent selections for FF/DD CO, FF/DD XO or MM/PP CO had any experience of CMR or working in a RNR unit within the last 5 years.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Why is that interesting? Shouldn't a CO be concentrating on engagement/influence and warry stuff?
  19. wave_dodger

Why is that interesting, we both know that as a Regular the Reserve is perceived as a career cul-de-sac so anyone who has been SASB'd will not have ventured down those roads.
    • Like Like x 1