Applied for MCD with no diving experience. Problem?

frogman007

War Hero
What's wrong with... Here is your set, lead belt and that's the sea bed. Now jump in and don't come back till we call you or you run out of gas!????

It doesn't matter in the slightest about diving experience. I have just passed my PDA a few days ago and I had never dived before or snorkelled.
On day 2 of the PDA they start from scratch in a calm and relaxed tone to everyone in the group to make sure everybody is comfortable with getting in the water as it can prove to be quite "strange" at first. So they teach everyone from scratch as civi diving signals and procedures are different to the Navys MCD way of diving. Your first dive is in the 5m deep steel tank and the next dive is in the fresh/salty lake at Horsea. Don't underestimate the amount of jellyfish in that lake!
I thoroughly enjoyed my PDA and cannot wait to get back into my dry suit in under 2 minutes, AWKWARD!
So don't worry about that mate, knuckle down with your PJFT for Diving branch and well done for taking the first step towards the Navy! Good Luck!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It doesn't matter in the slightest about diving experience. I have just passed my PDA a few days ago and I had never dived before or snorkelled.
On day 2 of the PDA they start from scratch in a calm and relaxed tone to everyone in the group to make sure everybody is comfortable with getting in the water as it can prove to be quite "strange" at first. So they teach everyone from scratch as civi diving signals and procedures are different to the Navys MCD way of diving. Your first dive is in the 5m deep steel tank and the next dive is in the fresh/salty lake at Horsea. Don't underestimate the amount of jellyfish in that lake!
I thoroughly enjoyed my PDA and cannot wait to get back into my dry suit in under 2 minutes, AWKWARD!
So don't worry about that mate, knuckle down with your PJFT for Diving branch and well done for taking the first step towards the Navy! Good Luck!
Well done you, good effort & congratulations!

In your experience, would you suggest that statistically, those with no experience have consistently achieved a higher pass rate at PDA than those with experience since the introduction of the Diving element of PDA, or are you basing success on just your own experience?

Either way, good luck with Diver training, the force is strong on this one.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
the next dive is in the fresh/salty lake at Horsea. Don't underestimate the amount of jellyfish in that lake!
Is it still full of brambles and black mud? We had a good go at pulling all the dropped lead and hammers out of there as the fish had finished eating the bodies of the potential trainees. The lead was making them a bit murrrrrrrr.

I thoroughly enjoyed my PDA
I like it when the Mrs. plays tonsil hockey with me and checks my junk in the aisles at Costco. Is that considered PDA or dogging?

exJenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Oh bollox. Was hoping the jellyfish had become extinct... Why can't Raleigh do BSSC??!!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

Ships_Cat

War Hero
What's wrong with... Here is your set, lead belt and that's the sea bed. Now jump in and don't come back till we call you or you run out of gas!????
But which pocket does one stow ones hair gel in? Wet Look or Spiking glue? How long to wait for fake tan to dry before donning dry bag? Whats the NSN for the big velcro strap for my chunky seiko?

Spidiver

War Hero
Don't stow hair gel, apply once and don't move too much....Spikey cos underwater it will look wet anyway....No need for fake tan, usually able to lie on a beach somewhere hot......velco straps...Seiko....no no no...metal bracelet on either a Rolex or Bremont, preferably limited edition "Clearance Diver" engraved..( I have both...well what else can you get for eleven grand these days?)

daffy1

War Hero
In all fairness when I did my course I never had any diving experience but then again my theory was it has to be exactly the same but in water....... Ohh how I was wrong.