Applied for MCD with no diving experience. Problem?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TheGreatCornholio, Jul 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone, the title pretty much says it all really... I'm 18 years old and have never had the chance to go scuba diving or even snorkelling. I'm a strong swimmer have great cardiovascular fitness and upper body strength for the stage I'm at and enjoy being underwater (can hold breath for 1 min 40). There's an unemployment issue in my area at the moment and can only seem to come across part time work so even a padi open water course is out of budget! :blank: All I can really do is read up a tonne of diving theory... Will this cause any doubt from my afco or the diving instructors? Has any serving/potential divers been at a point with such lack of experience and how has or did it affect the whole process?
    Cheers! :compress:
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Have you ever suffered any allergic reactions to hair or beauty products? :?
    • Like Like x 5
  3. TGC

Have you rung 08456 07 55 55 to get signed up for a place on a Careers Presentation?
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No experience is required, but it may be worth at least trying a freebie "taster" through a local dive club. It would be rather remiss if it turns out you cannot clear a diving mask on PDA or discovering you don`t actually like it.

5. F*** me Ninja. None of us like it.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. sgtpepperband

Depends if you're giving or receiving... :shock:
  7. Always receiving
    • Like Like x 1
  8. They just claim it's how they keep their tanks 'pumped up' :thumleft:
  9. Get yourself to the careers office (oe whatever its called these days) and start the system moving, fail or succeed, at least you will have tried.
  10. TGC

A few helpful links for you:

The Potential Diver Assessment | Royal Navy

11. Back in the day (swings lantern) scuba diving wasn't as big as today. To that end most of us had very little or no previous experience.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Agreed however PEDA didn't involve an "underwater element" of selection in the olden days, mucker. They actually have to be passed "fit to dive" so they can try a bit of underwater breathing nowadays on PDA, so whilst it isn't essential to have tried it, it makes sense to prepare yourself as best possible.
  13. What's wrong with... Here is your set, lead belt and that's the sea bed. Now jump in and don't come back till we call you or you run out of gas!????
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sgtpepperband

I know! It's 'Elf un Safety gone maaaad, innit..?! :roll: :wink:
  15. It doesn't matter in the slightest about diving experience. I have just passed my PDA a few days ago and I had never dived before or snorkelled.
    On day 2 of the PDA they start from scratch in a calm and relaxed tone to everyone in the group to make sure everybody is comfortable with getting in the water as it can prove to be quite "strange" at first. So they teach everyone from scratch as civi diving signals and procedures are different to the Navys MCD way of diving. Your first dive is in the 5m deep steel tank and the next dive is in the fresh/salty lake at Horsea. Don't underestimate the amount of jellyfish in that lake!
    I thoroughly enjoyed my PDA and cannot wait to get back into my dry suit in under 2 minutes, AWKWARD!
    So don't worry about that mate, knuckle down with your PJFT for Diving branch and well done for taking the first step towards the Navy! Good Luck!
  16. diving%20equip.jpg Those were the days...
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Looks like a still from the movie "Despicable Me"

How apt.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Well done you, good effort & congratulations!

In your experience, would you suggest that statistically, those with no experience have consistently achieved a higher pass rate at PDA than those with experience since the introduction of the Diving element of PDA, or are you basing success on just your own experience?

Either way, good luck with Diver training, the force is strong on this one.
  19. Is it still full of brambles and black mud? We had a good go at pulling all the dropped lead and hammers out of there as the fish had finished eating the bodies of the potential trainees. The lead was making them a bit murrrrrrrr.

I like it when the Mrs. plays tonsil hockey with me and checks my junk in the aisles at Costco. Is that considered PDA or dogging?
  20. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oh bollox. Was hoping the jellyfish had become extinct... Why can't Raleigh do BSSC??!!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)