Applied for MCD with no diving experience. Problem?

Hello everyone, the title pretty much says it all really... I'm 18 years old and have never had the chance to go scuba diving or even snorkelling. I'm a strong swimmer have great cardiovascular fitness and upper body strength for the stage I'm at and enjoy being underwater (can hold breath for 1 min 40). There's an unemployment issue in my area at the moment and can only seem to come across part time work so even a padi open water course is out of budget! :blank: All I can really do is read up a tonne of diving theory... Will this cause any doubt from my afco or the diving instructors? Has any serving/potential divers been at a point with such lack of experience and how has or did it affect the whole process?
Cheers! :compress:

soleil

War Hero
Hello everyone, the title pretty much says it all really... I'm 18 years old and have never had the chance to go scuba diving or even snorkelling. I'm a strong swimmer have great cardiovascular fitness and upper body strength for the stage I'm at and enjoy being underwater (can hold breath for 1 min 40). There's an unemployment issue in my area at the moment and can only seem to come across part time work so even a padi open water course is out of budget! :blank: All I can really do is read up a tonne of diving theory... Will this cause any doubt from my afco or the diving instructors? Has any serving/potential divers been at a point with such lack of experience and how has or did it affect the whole process?

TGC

Have you rung 08456 07 55 55 to get signed up for a place on a Careers Presentation?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
No experience is required, but it may be worth at least trying a freebie "taster" through a local dive club. It would be rather remiss if it turns out you cannot clear a diving mask on PDA or discovering you don`t actually like it.

pie.thatcher

Lantern Swinger
Get yourself to the careers office (oe whatever its called these days) and start the system moving, fail or succeed, at least you will have tried.

soleil

War Hero
TGC

A few helpful links for you:

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/316599dbb5a64c7280d3e8c33812ad50-0x0.pdf

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/joining-u...cruiting-test-psychometric-test-examples.html

The Potential Diver Assessment | Royal Navy

http://www.navy-net.co.uk/joining-u.../41573-mine-clearance-divers-mirrors-etc.html

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Back in the day (swings lantern) scuba diving wasn't as big as today. To that end most of us had very little or no previous experience.
Agreed however PEDA didn't involve an "underwater element" of selection in the olden days, mucker. They actually have to be passed "fit to dive" so they can try a bit of underwater breathing nowadays on PDA, so whilst it isn't essential to have tried it, it makes sense to prepare yourself as best possible.