Applications in 2022

What stage are people at that have applied this year? I’m wondering how long the recruitment process takes nowadays as I don’t want to wait 2 years! Thanks

Kjg80

My son applied 5th April, had an eye test 2 days later (there was a cancellation so he took the appointment) and it seems to be flying through, slight hold up with phone triage and more info was requested from gp, this took 4 weeks for gp to do, this has gone to capita and paper review was today.
Security check was completed in 3 weeks
He passed DAA test within 2 weeks of applying and had an interview the day after (ish)
I honestly think it depends on the AFCO too, my sons has been really responsive and has got back to him more or less straight away.
Just f2f medical and fitness to do now, we geared ourselves up for months and months of waiting and in reality it's been so quick.
Here's hoping he'll be in Raleigh soon so my dog can have his own bedroom at last :)

Stirlin

War Hero
My son applied 5th April, had an eye test 2 days later (there was a cancellation so he took the appointment) and it seems to be flying through, slight hold up with phone triage and more info was requested from gp, this took 4 weeks for gp to do, this has gone to capita and paper review was today.
He passed DAA test within 2 weeks of applying and had an interview the day after (ish)
I honestly think it depends on the AFCO too, my sons has been really responsive and has got back to him more or less straight away.
Just f2f medical and fitness to do now, we geared ourselves up for months and months of waiting and in reality it's been so quick.
Here's hoping he'll be in Raleigh soon so my dog can have his own bedroom at last :)
That's the spirit ;)

Chris P

War Hero
It doesn't matter what you do in life, if you help yourself by helping them(whoever) and being responsive and positive as your son has I believe it will ease the way through, has always worked for me.

Chris P

War Hero
It doesn't matter what you do in life, if you help yourself by helping them(whoever) and being responsive and positive as your son has I believe it will ease the way through, has always worked for me.
oh, and don't confuse the above with brown nosing!!

legend

Lantern Swinger
Would definitely agree with you when you said it depends on the AFCO , I know for sure there will be good motivated AFCOs but in all truthfulness some of them need a swift hoof up their arse

Waspie

War Hero
Would definitely agree with you when you said it depends on the AFCO , I know for sure there will be good motivated AFCOs but in all truthfulness some of them need a swift hoof up their arse
Looking at it another way. Many AFCO's are manned by experienced staff who are 'perhaps' most skilled at recognising time wasters and concentrate on those who seem genuine in a career in the RN.

Of course I'm not saying this is the case but there are always two sides to any coin. Many people 'say' they want a career in the services when in fact the truth is they just want to leave home and the perception is the armed forces are screaming out for people so a quick out. (Sadly - not the case).

From my view point, reading the many drips on here from potential recruits it appears Capita seem to be the main gripe and stumbling block. Added to that, many recruits don't tell the full truth or to be kinder, hold back information, so questions don't get answered the way they, the applicant, expected.

Last edited:

legend

Lantern Swinger
Looking at it another way. Many AFCO's are manned by experienced staff who are 'perhaps' most skilled at recognising time wasters and concentrate on those who seem genuine in a career in the RN.

Of course I'm not saying this is the case but there are always two sides to any coin. Many people 'say' they want a career in the services when in fact the truth is they just want to leave home and the perception is the armed forces are screaming out for people so a quick out. (Sadly - not the case).

From my view point, reading the many drips on here from potential recruits it appears Capita seem to be the main gripe and stumbling block. Added to that, many recruits don't tell the full truth or to be kinder, hold back information, so questions don't answered the way they expected.
I dont doubt your views for one minute Waspie and understand what youre saying about two sides of the story in some cases and I always said Capita are lacking in many ways and I have had personal experience of them in my old job . What I am trying to say that the majority of AFCOs are probably right on the ball , but not the one in charge of my Grandsons recruitment as Ive heard him twice when my Grandson has been trying to talk with him , and he just doesnt seem to have the time to explain much . Thats up to my Grandson to sort out !
I will not ask who is responsible for the bullshit emojie on the end of the post , some people just have a yellow streak running right down their back .
Thanks

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I dont doubt your views for one minute Waspie and understand what youre saying about two sides of the story in some cases and I always said Capita are lacking in many ways and I have had personal experience of them in my old job . What I am trying to say that the majority of AFCOs are probably right on the ball , but not the one in charge of my Grandsons recruitment as Ive heard him twice when my Grandson has been trying to talk with him , and he just doesnt seem to have the time to explain much . Thats up to my Grandson to sort out !
I will not ask who is responsible for the bullshit emojie on the end of the post , some people just have a yellow streak running right down their back .
Thanks
Funny you mention yellow streak, the person who gave the BS has a screen name the same as a glove of that colour ;)

Latest Threads