Application sent!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by AllezWasps, May 27, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all!

Long time reader, first time posting.

So, a couple of days ago I clicked the send button on my application for Communications Technician. Just (im)patiently waiting for the response now! I do, however, have a few questions if anyone could help clarify a couple of things please :) Firstly, is the application just to provide a general background on the applicant (i.e. right grades and other eligibility criteria) and the majority will be taken through to testing? Secondly, would my application be rejected on my BMI score? It is a tad on the fat f*** side of things, but then again I am a front row forward and my fitness is close to be being within requirements. Finally, I am concerned about age and waiting time. Currently 28 and have good experience, spent 4.5 years in the Merch as OOW but shifting containers and eating fish heads wasn't for me, but I'm worried that I would find it hard to maintain fitness and ultimately pass Raleigh if the waiting time was around 2 years. Would considering another trade be an issue during the application process.

Apologies for turning this into an essay!

Cheers!

2. You're never too old, and if you want it enough you'll train and keep yourself fit. If you don't train you'll find out your heart's not really in the whole "joining up" thing soon enough.

3. I failed all my medicals re size and weight but was passed as my fitness was good, I played Rugby from age 11 until I left the Mob, time done, at my original joining up medical I was 2.5 stone over weight for age or about 2 foot short, the doc had me doing all kinds of exercises to prove my fitness, I was naked for all of this? So from my experience, rules may have changed, if you are fit and able you will be considered, but be warned if you are a bit on the larger size you had better show up fit and able.
    Worrying about being fit for a period of the 2 years it may take to get in, is a strange thing to think about as you are required to maintain a certain level all you time in the mob, not as much as the booties and pongs but you still need to be fit enough for you job, fighting fit. Good luck

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Those with a bmi over 28 are usually given a target weight to achieve before their application is processed. In the event it's muscle mass rather than fat, the AFCO medical examiner will call the shots.

5. Cheers for the replies all, has cleared up the issue for me. Had an email saying I will be contacted soon regarding recruit tests... so something to focus on now :D

6. Good evening everyone,

I am on the waiting list for the Royal Navy and my security checks are in process, however I am working in a job at the moment but have been offered a better job that suits my needs before I join the RN.

If I change my job in civvi street whilst on the waiting list and whilst my security checks are processing would I need to inform anyone about this ?

7. What did your AFCO say when you asked them?

8. Is that the same for women or do their bmi have to be lower than 28? Mine is 27.8 and I am 5ft 2" and I am pretty fit so losing a lot of weight to get it under 25 will just make me look like a skeleton!

9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

BMI parameters are the same. male or female.