Application process

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by FletchRFC18, Feb 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, currently need to get a medical date issued but I done the security vetting on the day of the interview and sending away my eye test results next week.

My interviewer said because I used to have asthma it will take the ME some time and several letters to clear me and might ruin my chances of getting a May intake.

Can anybody shed any light and hopefully provide some advice on how I can speed up the stage of the letters, etc. Maybe by getting a printout of my medical history?

I asked my nurse if she get me a note saying the last issue of my inhaler. Will this prevent the before mentioned stage?

Thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Those with ANY history of being prescribed an inhaler cannot be passed fit at the initial medical unfortunately.

You will be required to undertake a four week peak-flow diary and whilst this is being undertaken the Medical Examiner will send your GP an asthma questionnaire for completion and return.

The delays usually occur when the GP decides they want paying before they deliver the goods - this can add a couple of months to the process. Best bet is to contact your GP, warn them off about the inbound questionnaire & check they complete & return it without delay.

3. Thanks alot for the quick reply.

What is the peak-flow diary?

Do you from your own experience think I'll have any chance to make the May intake or should I brace for a September one if successful on the medical?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Peak Flow diary: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Asthma/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

I reckon you maybe pushing it - it depends how swift your GP responds.

It's best to budget for the later entry, but drive things forward as best you can to see if you can get it cracked in time for an earlier allocation of an entry date after passing the medical & taking the PJFT straight away.

5. Okay, thanks for the quick responses!