Application process

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by FletchRFC18, Feb 26, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, currently need to get a medical date issued but I done the security vetting on the day of the interview and sending away my eye test results next week.

My interviewer said because I used to have asthma it will take the ME some time and several letters to clear me and might ruin my chances of getting a May intake.

Can anybody shed any light and hopefully provide some advice on how I can speed up the stage of the letters, etc. Maybe by getting a printout of my medical history?

I asked my nurse if she get me a note saying the last issue of my inhaler. Will this prevent the before mentioned stage?

Thanks.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Those with ANY history of being prescribed an inhaler cannot be passed fit at the initial medical unfortunately.

You will be required to undertake a four week peak-flow diary and whilst this is being undertaken the Medical Examiner will send your GP an asthma questionnaire for completion and return.

The delays usually occur when the GP decides they want paying before they deliver the goods - this can add a couple of months to the process. Best bet is to contact your GP, warn them off about the inbound questionnaire & check they complete & return it without delay.

3. Thanks alot for the quick reply.

What is the peak-flow diary?

Do you from your own experience think I'll have any chance to make the May intake or should I brace for a September one if successful on the medical?

4. Ninja_Stoker

Peak Flow diary: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Asthma/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

I reckon you maybe pushing it - it depends how swift your GP responds.

It's best to budget for the later entry, but drive things forward as best you can to see if you can get it cracked in time for an earlier allocation of an entry date after passing the medical & taking the PJFT straight away.

5. Okay, thanks for the quick responses!

6. This has just happened to me.

I got a phone call to go through my medical questionnaire on the 19th December 2016.

The guy didn't say anything was wrong and said I should have my medical in a few weeks.

Anyway I hadn't heard anything in a few weeks so I rang the careers office and he said I had been declared temporary unfit!

But the only thing I ticked on the questionaire was asthma years ago when I was a child and also I fractured my jaw about 7 years ago which is obviously fine now.

So I guess it's the asthma.

A long story short my GP still hasn't received my medical questionnaire from the company Capita who are apparently the ones who the RN outsource the medical stuff to.

So I have emailed Capita to see what's going on and why it's taking so long.

Currently awaiting a response from them.

From this beginning bit of the process I'm fearing this may be dragged on for months! :(

And there was me hoping for a quick entry into the submariner role I've applied for!

7. If you haven't heard from Capita, give them a ring. Whenever I had to chase them up for things, the person on the other end of the phone was always willing help. The bonus being is that you get an immediate answer of what it is you need to do, if anything.

Might be worth seeing your GP too just to make them aware that Capita will be asking them for some information, and that they need to release it ASAP.

8. Thanks Tigapaw I rang Capita and the problem was they sent the letter off to the wrong address, so thats a full month wasted.
    They are now hopefully resending to the correct address of my GP.
    I guess I am just going to keep on top of it.
    I shall try and see my GP aswell to ensure they release the information quickly.

9. Ninja_Stoker

The letter will have been sent to the address supplied by the applicant.

10. There's a good start :)

11. I had the exact problem with my application too, asthma history when I was younger. I had to complete a peak flow diary also. I also supplied an exercise history from my fitness tracker app to show my running times and distances which I really recommend doing if you can. It's very easy to make up a peak flow diary, but if you can supply hard evidence that your asthma history has little to no impact on you now, you'll have a much better shot in my opinion. I have no idea if that history made a difference to my application but I'm sure it didn't hurt, since I passed.

Good luck!

12. I can assure you it wasn't the same address as I supplied as I have my copy here.

They sent it to the old address of my medical center but it moved years ago, so they must not have updated the new address on their system is the only thing I can think of for that error.

Thanks for the advice I will have a look into that, which app did you use, and who did you provide the information to was it the GP or to the Navy Careers Office?

Thanks for your continued help on this issue guys! :)

13. I used the Garmin app since I have a Garmin watch, but strava is what I used before that which works very well. And I gave it to my GP along with my peak flow diary. Whether capita ever saw it I don't actually know haha

14. haha fair enough well its a good idea anyway and I think I will use it anyway just in case!

15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Antonio555 this routine should set you on the right course.

• Like Like x 4
  16. I was absolutely knackered at the end of the third minute. My twice daily walk to the sound room and back to the mess in days gone by was never that tiring.;)

17. I applied in April last year and the medical process took about 5 months because I had concussion in February last year, as soon as I got declared medically fit everything moved pretty fast

• Like Like x 1