Application Process Royal Navy/ Residency Waiver

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by chunk-a-dunk., Apr 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I am new to the forum, but have taken sage nuggets of wisdom from your pages many times during my application process and wish to say thanks for that!

I have gone through a lot of other posts and forums before but i found none which could really speak to my situation, so please don't think I'm being lazy and not looking through other posts!
    I am writing this post to be informative as well as interrogative, and hopefully can provide answers (be they good or bad) to anyone who is in a similar situation to myself, I'm being totally honest in this wee anecdote, and any advice would be greatly appreciated as would any questions and answers people feel like throwing this way! - I'm not claiming to have any answers this is intended to be just a general discussion board.

I am currently applying for the coveted position of Officer Pilot with the FAA,
    I am a UK citizen and, until my early middle teens, I was 100% resident! Then left, I've lived abroad circa 7 years from 14-21, my parents had a job that required travel and I followed for obvious reasons. My return to UK was hindered for various financial limitations, but now I'm back!

I've been back going on 7 months, and have passed my RT, 1st medical and my PJFT is tomorrow. I've been informed by my AFCO that my overseas residency needn't necessarily be a problem given that I am a UK citizen, likewise my security clearance should be a problem as for the last 5 years my countries of residence have been Brunei and Singapore (both commonwealth) both of which allow thorough background checks. I lived in Romania before moving to those countries as well, not that I'm sure it has any bearing. I am aware that since I was overseas whilst being over the age of 18, they are likely to have a problem giving me residency and DV.
    [any advice on that would be great!]
    also, provided I make it to AIB and pass, am I correct in thinking they won't take up my references until then? and will my residency waiver decision be swayed by a stellar AIB performance/AFCLO review?

In terms of the medical/fitness side of things I have 6/4 eyesight in each eye and am running the 2.4k in about 11 minutes (no where near as tough as the marines I know, be gentle! haha)
    I have a few A's at A-level and speak 4 languages other than English (no Arabic or farsi though! - otherwise I'm pretty sure id have a job by now
    -.-')

Im currently 21 so even if i have to wait 3 or so years, i will have one last chance to re-apply, but I'm hoping I can make it through this time, either way Im gonna' push myself all the way and pass AIB (hopefully!) and I will keep updating so anyone who's curious about how I fare with this dodgy situation, check back.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome.

The issue, as you're aware is residency for Security Clearance (SC) by the Defence Vetting Agency (DVA) not nationality.

A person over the age of 18 is deemed to be living overseas of their own volition. Those under 18 maybe eligible for a waiver if their parents took them overseas whilst in the employment of the UK government.

The waiver has nothing to do with how well the applicant performs in relation to others. A referee serving in the UK Armed Forces, known to you & willing to vouch for your integrity, maybe required if you have lived in non-commonwealth countries, otherwise it could be a three to five year wait, but the best bet is to contact the overseas desk at London AFCO to see if that is required - it may not be. So far as I'm aware, pilots don't routinely need to be DV'd, just SC'd in most cases.

Definitive guidance can be found in Chapter 7 of the Book of Reference, volume 3:

Best of luck.

3. Thanks Jimbo, and Ninja for your replies!

I know a childhood friend who's currently serving in the Royal Marines, so I'll try and get in touch with said person to see if they remember me 8O

As for the overseas desk in London I was told to contact them after my initial walk in chat with my careers officer and was told to continue with the application process, and providing I'm successful, it would be the navy who forwarded my case to the right people who handle residency issues - which is what led to me believe if I performed well, id be more likely to be granted the waiver, if that makes sense? Have you heard of that happening before?

many thanks!

4. Ninja_Stoker

I've certainly heard of us not bothering to apply for residency waivers for those that fail an element of selection, but usually residency waivers are not merit based, besides the occasional acceptance of a referee who is a serving (or recently left) member of the UK forces in order to process the waiver.

UK Nationals who have only ever held a British passport are generally 'in the frame' for consideration for residency waiver, depending on the countries of residence.

5. OK, thanks for your time there Ninja, and the great source of info!

I'll be keeping this thread up to date and hopefully, whatever the outcome, it can a good reference for future applicants.

Ill be keeping my fingers crossed!

P.S.
    Don't suppose you know any admirals who write free references for plucky courageous young cadets to follow their misty eyed dreams? :D

6. Ninja_Stoker

Perish the very thought.

Then again there are more of them drawing a wage than there are Careers Advisers, so who knows? :wink:

7. Maybe I'll leave an advert in my AFCO's window, bound to attract the attention of passing Sea Lords I'm sure!

8. Just as a general piece of info, I was born in New Zealand, but hold dual nationality as both my parents are British. I lived in NZ from 0-9, then 12-26 before moving to the UK. I resigned from the RNZNVR and joined the RNR within six months - it took that long for the AFCO to decide how they would process me - and applied for my SC at that point.

I didn't have to satisfy any residency requirements, and after the AFCO losing my first SC form, the second one went through just over 15 months after the application was made, even though I remained in the RNR unit during this time.

I'm now DV'd (only took 15 weeks this time!), and although both my SC and DV have nationality mentions, having lived outside of the UK and even using overseas friends as DV references hasn't stopped the clearances being issued. It just means that the RNR has had to jump through a few extra hoops..

Hasn't ever seen me being promoted above AB - but that's because UK NARIC don't recognise NZ school quals and want me to sit a few UK ones just to prove that I can speak your language. Muppets.

Anyway, hope this helps..

9. Ninja_Stoker

Generally our Antipodean Allies don't necessarily require residency waivers as there is a reciprocal arrangement with regards security service protocols.

In other words former military service certainly helps with regards processing SC & DV, plus the fact employment by the UK Government also helps.

10. OK! just got back from my PJFT - 10:57.. not the best ever, but I'm happy with it, a personal best and I'm chuffed, still a long way to go to the 10:00 I want though :p

I went straight to drop off the form at my AFCO and had a chat with my usual Careers Advisor who said I was now being handed to the officer selection advisor in Peterborough, I guess he/she'll be the person conducting my sift interview?
    I asked a few questions about the vague 'Navy Knowledge' section of the interview and was told from the horse's mouth as I'm going for Pilot it's;
    What happens at Dartmouth (IOT),

The Pilot/Observer pipeline (fixed and rotary) -[ though with lightning II and harriers I may be working on looks like observer is for rotary only.],

Learn what ships you could be taking off and landing from and their specs',

Learn the aircraft's specs',

and current operations!
    and some general naval history/culture as well

So, if you're going for pilot, don't worry too much about submarines because it'd take a hell of a plane to take off from one of them.

he also advised me to look at air traffic con. and warfare, should something go awry in my FAT's at Cranwell.
    He looked suspicious when I said I had a copy of the royal navy handbook - MOD edition. I assured him it wasn't topsy krets.

Cheers chaps, a few pints to celebrate one feels,
    happy Monday!

11. Thanks for the info you posted there soleil!

They will be my Mecca of information :D
    and way ahead on the navy news, I've been taking my AFCO's since January!

thanks again!

12. You're welcome.

You might like to make friends with Powder and Lynx101 - both of them are going for the same as you - Lynx101 is off to BRNC soon and Powder will be there later on. They will also tell you lots of good stuff.