Application advice?

charley_

Hi guys,

I’m currently in my first year of sixth form and looking to apply to the Royal Navy as a Warfare Officer for when I leave school.

I’ve tried to find some guidance on the best time to apply, potentially looking for a Sep 22 intake, but couldn’t really find much - the AFCO couldn’t really advise (bit vague), so I was wondering whether you guys could offer an insight?

I was also wondering how long the application process usually takes and whether it typically takes longer for X branch - I’ve found a few threads on application timelines but none really vary recent and they varied a lot.

Thank you for taking the time to reply if you can - any advice would be really appreciated.

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Hi guys,

I’m currently in my first year of sixth form and looking to apply to the Royal Navy as a Warfare Officer for when I leave school.

I’ve tried to find some guidance on the best time to apply, potentially looking for a Sep 22 intake, but couldn’t really find much - the AFCO couldn’t really advise (bit vague), so I was wondering whether you guys could offer an insight?

I was also wondering how long the application process usually takes and whether it typically takes longer for X branch - I’ve found a few threads on application timelines but none really vary recent and they varied a lot.

Thank you for taking the time to reply if you can - any advice would be really appreciated.
I don’t know personally, but I reckon @alfred_the_great or @pompeyexpat would have an idea if they see this.
Or @Drakey .
Good luck

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Sorry, I can’t help on timelines to entry. My area of expertise (such as it is) lies very much in the delivery of INT rather than in getting there in the first place.

I think if it was me I’d be asking the AFCO when the earliest I could apply was and then going for that.

charley_

Afternoon, I’m also applying for Warfare Officer. From my experience so far, I’d get the ball rolling sooner than later. I applied in November 2019 and am currently waiting for an AIB date as of late October. My medical took around 6/7 months from the initial form to the physical medical (I was PMU’d a few times because CAPITA required specific notes for an illness/ subsequent operation). I did a Submarine look at life course last January, and a Potential Officer Visit to Collingwood last March (both really worth doing if you get the opportunity, Covid-19 dependent). From the people I met on those two courses who started training in September 2020, January 2021, and those with a start date for May 2021. Applications were around 18 months to 2 years on average. Some longer. Do not take that as a standardised time though, applications are unique to each person. I.e. medicals, chosen branch, availability, etc. Bare in mind as well, certain parts of the process will expire after a year (such as the medical). Good luck with your application whenever you choose to start.
Thank you -that’s actually very helpful. How are you finding the application process so far - how have you been preparing etc.?

italian101

Midshipman
I applied in October 2019 and Ive passed everything in the application process and am still waiting for my start date so I'd defiantly recommend applying earlier rather than later as you can always tell your recruiter when you are available from.

charley_

I’ve found the process pretty good on the most part, again I was fortunate to go on the two visits to Faslane and Collingwood. Really helped my understanding on how the RN operates, but the highlight for me was the opportunity to meet other people (both serving and other applicants). It has been a long process though, I’m 25 so I’m very much looking forward to starting a career in the RN.
In terms of how I’ve been preparing, I have really focused on being as proactive as I can, particularly since Covid hit the UK last March. I.e. I lost my job in March 2020, I applied for a role within the Covid-19 response (NHS 111 kind of stuff) because I wanted to help people. Now I work on the UK travel quarantine in a supervisor role, and I’m responsible for training people to transition to working from home. Plus a few other responsibilities. I am also working with my dad to expand his consulting business. So I guess I’m always jumping at the chance to take on more responsibility, always looking for growth and learning opportunities. We are very different ages, your opportunities for taking on more responsibility will be very different to mine. If you are part of the cadets, fantastic, ask for more responsibility when Covid allows. If you do extracurricular stuff in general, same applies. If you don’t that’s okay, but you need to look at other avenues. I.e. organise something like an event or fundraise for charity, etc. Get involved with team work as much as possible. Might be worth looking at improving interview skills later on in the process, I had mock interview sessions with my dad to prep for the SIFT. Develop interview examples using a framework I.e. STAR or CAR (context, action and results). Those are my post run thoughts, feel free to ask more questions as and when.
thank you!

Latest Threads