Application Advice

Hi all

I am considering applying to the RFA for a Cadetship (Engineering). I previously applied and subsequently was rejected after a poor show at my AIB. Since then I have worked in the yachting industry and been fairly successful, however I really do have my heart set on the RFA hence this... Anyway I would appreciate some advice and my questions are as follows:

1) Previous application was for a Deck Cadetship, I am now a qualified RYA Yachtmaster, instructor etc, lots of skipper experience however I studied Marine Engineering (City and Guilds) and have mainly worked in technical/engineering roles on small craft under 24m, I currently hold an MCA AEC, will they consider it a negative that this time I am applying for an Engineering position now?

2) It has been over two years since my rejection, this is quite a while, although I have been working in the marine industry. My feedback from my AIB was they thought I needed more life experience, this has definitely been achieved (plenty of sea time and deliveries as a skipper, RNLI crew member, etc). However will they see the time gap again as a negative? I feel I have used my time very wisely.

3) My AIB was very disappointing for me, I didn’t perform anywhere near to my own standards let alone anyone else’s, will they consider this with my application or will it be a whole new application and a fresh start so to speak?

All feedback appreciated and any heads up to what may be new with the recruitment process since then would be even more so! Cheers guys.

Last edited:

Random

Lantern Swinger
It has been over two years since my rejection, this is quite a while, although I have been working in the marine industry. My feedback from my AIB was they thought I needed more life experience, this has definitely been achieved (plenty of sea time and deliveries as a skipper, RNLI crew member, etc). However will they see the time gap again as a negative? I feel I have used my time very wisely.
Two years is not that long in life, and honestly if they recommended you gain more life experience how could you have done that quickly? it takes time.

Many people do not pass the AIB first time round (I didnt), whether for us or the RN coming back shows commitment to what you want, also having been there once you now know whats expected and hopefully can deliver and show that you now meet/exceed their standards. Be prepared to explain why you feel Engineering is now a better fit for you than Deck, they wont hold your change of mind against you, but they will want to know your reasoning and your motivation behind the choice.

Two years is not that long in life, and honestly if they recommended you gain more life experience how could you have done that quickly? it takes time.
Hi 'Random', thanks for your response, I will definitely make a point of working towards why I wish to do engineering over Deck now. I will be honest my decision is not 100% and I am going to speak to the careers office for some guidance first before I commit to one or the other.

Regarding the life experience I have achieved a lot over two and a half years, whilst previously I had no marine experience, I am now delivering yachts all over Europe as a skipper and I feel my best 'life experience' has come with the RNLI, we deal with some very real things as you probably know and this has been a great experience for me. Whilst I feel I am now far further down the line, would they think this is enough?

Cheers for the feedback again