Appealing Medicals

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mkh508, Dec 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello chaps,

I am wondering if it is possible to get into navy with past medical history of a stomach ulcer which was treated 4 years ago? (it's described to be chronic but it was one off!)

Also, is there a chance of passing medicals if I have microscopic haematuria and proteniurea? (also from a one off illness which does not affect my life at all)

I am perfectly fit and well and without being cocky I've been told that I'm fit enough to be a marine...

Much appreciated in advance. I just want your experienced opinion chaps.

Cheers.

2. I'd love to know which dodgy establishment gave you a medical degree!

Peptic ulcer disease is only a one off if it was caused by infection by a bug called Helicobacter pylori. If you still require treatment (as verified by your GP) then you will not pass. If you ever needed surgery, then you will not pass. If there's more to it than a simple Hp-induced ulcer, then you will not pass.

Regarding haem- and proteinuria, that will need to have been fully investigated by your GP before we'll even look at you. There are a number of kidney diseases which can cause that urine dip and they will all prevent you joining. Fully investigated means bloods, ultrasound and renal physician opinion.

You have labelled this as "appealing a medical". Have you already applied and been booted back?

AD

3. mkh, you could be diagnosed with cancer and still run a marathon in 2 hours. However eventually, your going to have difficulties, understand where i'm coming from?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the reply.

I havn't got my results from the medical yet but the doc basically said It's going to be a fail.

Is it possible to get bloods and US from my GP for the appeal?

Also What do I need to prepare to show that the ulcer was a simple Hp induced?

5. You are powerless in this situation. You need to see your GP, tell him/her that you have blood and protein in your pee and ask to see documentation about your ulcer. If you we're given antibiotics as well as anti-acid stuff and it cleared up then it was probably Hp. If you had an endoscopy then it will have been tested for.

6. Thank you AD, I will contact my GP on Monday.

Just regarding the appeal, should I wait until the AFCO informs me of the rejection so that I can ask what to prepare? Will they give me any guidance as to what I need to include in my appeal and what I need to prove wrong?

OR should I just start preparing the appeal now regardless?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  7. OMM

OMM War Hero

'Ive been told I'm fit enough to be a marine',

Being a marine has more to do with it then fitness, I know alot of people who will dislike that comment.

You may well be 'fit' physically, but medically you're not.

8. Very good

I know a lot of people won't understand this comment.

So you look good but are a bag of shit?

9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I always thought that they were Royal Marines!

10. I happy that you two understood what the friggin hell he was talking about.
    Best get tiddlyoggy down here to mark his work.
    It's gotta be a detention.

11. OMM

OMM War Hero

Thanks for the translation Rumrat.