Apaches get ready to help protect Libyan civilians

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by MoD_RSS, May 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Cameron's Apache showdown

David Cameron's decision to send Apache attack helicopters into action against Gaddafi is a significant moment both for the Libya campaign and for the Prime Minister’s relationship with the military.
    I am told that the Forces were opposed to the deployment but that Cameron overruled them.

General Richards, the Chief of the Defence Staff, conveyed to the Prime Minister the top brass’s view that it was too dangerous to fly the helicopters deep into enemy territory.

He warned that there were so many shoulder-fired missiles floating around Libya that it was hard to be confident that the Apaches could carry out missions without being shot down.

But after Nicolas Sarkozy announced that the French would be ordering their attack helicopters into action, Cameron concluded that the risk was worth taking as the allies try to turn up the pressure on the Libyan leader.

Mail Online

It would appear that Cameron did not have his listening head on and has chosen to jump on the French bandwagon.
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. Since when did we listen to the Daily Mail? I would have thought Finks would be the last person to read that publication!

4. So it's not true then?

I cast my net wide in the search for information and sometimes it does take me to the less desirable sources.

Let us hope that when the anti Gaddafi lot raided the arsenals they had taken that these ground to air missiles have not fallen into the hands of terrorists.
  5. Are any other media outlets reporting it? Either it's a big scoop or a load of crap - given past form of the Daily Mail the latter is more likely.
  6. Have you tried Google?
  7. On a train so it's tricky. It's not on Sky News or The Times (admittedly both News International).
  8. By who? My powder blue beret'd oppos are bang up for it, they've been munching at the bit for a Libyan punch up since it kicked off. Not to mention the wider army fancying a slice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. They are soldiers not fekin police officers.
  10. I don't understand what you mean. If that's a reference to Monty's powder blue berets he means the Army Air Corp but I'm sure you knew that.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Correct me if I am wrong but aren’t our Armed Forces there to protect our country and its people? They should not be used as the world’s policemen at the caprice of successive PM's who seem intent on dragging them from one quagmire into another.
  12. In case you had forgotten, we are involved in Libya as part of a UN sanctioned mission so that is exactly what we are on this occasion "the world's policemen".

Our role is, of course, dictated by a number of things; we are one of the grown ups (no matter what some people may think), we have an impressive capability (again no matter what some people may think) and we have a responsibility as a fully signed up and paid up member of the UN Security Council to step up to the plate when called upon to do so.

You and I may not like it, you and I may not think it is appropriate and you and I may think there are better things to do with our limited resources but I would suggest that the criticisms should be directed at those "capable nations" who are not doing their bit at the moment rather than at the UK government.
  13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

and its interests......
  14. Selective interference once again and we all know the reason why.