Anything I can do??!

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by cracker89, Oct 1, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I got discharged from Raleigh in June 2011, I was told I could reapply in December.
    I reapplied, passed medical and fitness test....then received a letter saying I wasn't allowed to return to service.

Following advice from the AFCO who thought it was ridiculous we sent a letter of appeal but that also came back as a no no!

Is there anything else I can do?!

Does this apply to the reserves aswell?

I've had no contact with my AFCO since the last rejection letter!

The navy is all I wanted and it seems so crap that after all the effort I put it its just a big fat NO

2. What did you do? Try and fill your instructor in?
  3. Nice avatar cracker.
  4. Unfortunately not!
    I got discharged with acute shin pain!
    Found the problem on the Wednesday, I was at home by Friday night!
  5. Was you given any explanation, as to the No, if not did you ask for one?
  6. Did you " forget " to mention this problem before starting at Raleigh ? and then the condition was found ?
  7. If, as Andy_cap says, you had this before entry and failed to declare it, you may have been discharged for fraudulent entry which may be why you got a no.
  8. Froggy

You are going to have to seek anger management for these (violet) violent tendencies?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  9. What's purple got to do with it? Old twiglet will be along in a minute asking why he's being accused of bullying
    • Like Like x 1
  10. No I didn't have any of this beforehand.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Sounds an unusual sequence of events.

Did you receive a letter in response to your appeal & if so, what did it say? Was it a medical knock-back or something else?

Generally those medically discharged, assuming they declare it from the outset, must have their former service medical documents referred to the Senior Medical Officer (Service Entries) for a decision with regard medical suitability for further service before the application is approved to be processed as far as a medical examination.

The Navy is "twitchy" about lower-limb injuries, particularly recurring injuries such as shin splints & compartment syndrome - especially those wishing to join as Royal Marines.
  12. Yeah I got a letter back stating that shin splints are a bar to entry.
    But since then I've had no trouble with them- I have a letter from the physio and when I went for my medical in January the guy said I should be fine.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It maybe worth putting pen to paper in a polite, short & non-emotive manner with regard the medical rejection letter received to enquire whether a single instance is an outright permanent bar to entry or what medical criteria must be met in order for you to be passed fit for entry into the Naval Service in future.

I'm neither medically qualified to advise nor trying to raise false hopes but depending on the severity of the condition & whether it's termed chronic (recorded recurring instances over a period of time) they may well advise you need to be symptom free for a couple of years since the last recorded flare-up and can produce a consolidated training diary over a decent period of time which indicates recurrence is unlikely.

it's a common problem with potential Royal Marines, often attributed to fallen arches and sometimes corrected by orthotic insoles after having your running gait professionally analysed. What certainly doesn't help is running in boots on metalled surfaces.

Heaps on this subject on the PRMC Forum:

Very fast Shin Splints cure.. - PRMC - Potential Royal Marines Course forum
    Shin splints! - PRMC - Potential Royal Marines Course forum
    Shin splints - PRMC - Potential Royal Marines Course forum
    MD In RT Shin Splints. - PRMC - Potential Royal Marines Course forum

Good luck
  14. We appealed after the first rejection letter (sent a long letter) but the appeal was unsuccessful.