Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything I can do?

higthepig said:
Roger. I used to work in an AFCO with a stoker. Wouldn't describe him as a Ninja though!

With the sort of advice you`re giving, how long did you last?

I thought you had gone to bed. Are you sure that you were a ATC when you served. With your holier than thou opinions I had you down as a devil dodger!

I did six months and I actually had the balls to recruit people into branches that they were interested in or were suitable for and not just into branches so that I met targets.

It doesn`t matter what trades i served as, and as for being Holier than Thou, it was you that made the statement, get over it.

UncleAlbert

War Hero
Julian……I`m sure that you’re a nice chap and if you passed your medical and joined the navy you would be an asset both to the surface fleet and the fleet air arm…but one of the most fundamental qualifications is you have to be fit….
Asthma is not fit …..
being put under pressure can bring on an asthma attack …also asthma sufferers attract enemy radar …and are also bunkwetters….they are bad timekeepers and can`t swim……..if you should suffer an attack at sea it can be very distracting when there is a good film on…..
their lordships have moved the goalposts as wide as they dare to attract new recruits .....but once they start letting lame ducks in, the end will come very quickly.

Er, perhaps you should try McDonalds…….?

juliancs

Again, thank you all for your replies. The thread seems to have diminished into an argument between some lads, and the others seem to be mocking me! Good old navy humor! I would love to 'try and fail', but the position about asthma is fairly clear.

Thanks again for all your help - it was very interesting to read the different opinions.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
[quote="onewatchtoomany]
I did six months and I actually had the balls to recruit people into branches that they were interested in or were suitable for and not just into branches so that I met targets.[/quote]

Ooh, there's a novelty concept.

I'm impressed you were able to do that considering you were not qualified to administer the Recruiting Test or conduct a Selection Interview in which it is established what job the individual is qualified, wants & is suited to, regardless of targets.

It is a shame that after 6 months you do not appreciate that Branches of Preference are not driven by recruiting targets.

BZ that chap.

DancesWithJPA

Lantern Swinger
I can't believe the unprofessionalism of someone who would encourage someone to lie about their health to join up. To do so compromises the safety of the individual and those around him.

Ninja_Stoker said:
[quote="onewatchtoomany]
I did six months and I actually had the balls to recruit people into branches that they were interested in or were suitable for and not just into branches so that I met targets.

Ooh, there's a novelty concept.

I'm impressed you were able to do that considering you were not qualified to administer the Recruiting Test or conduct a Selection Interview in which it is established what job the individual is qualified, wants & is suited to, regardless of targets.

It is a shame that after 6 months you do not appreciate that Branches of Preference are not driven by recruiting targets.

BZ that chap.[/quote]

Ok, ok. You are quite obviously the expert in this subject matter so I won't pretend that I know more than you. However the particular AFCO in which I worked was driven by targets. This wasn't the fault of the office WO either as I know they were influenced by DNR. Please don't take my comments as a personnel insult on the standards that you and your office set.

juliancs, you seem keen, so here's what I found on other possible jobs. Although at the end of the day it's the same advice - go ask a doc!

Linky: http://www.asthma.org.uk/all_about_asthma/asthma_at_work/people_with.html

Are there any jobs I can't do?
If you are determined, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t have almost any career you want. Until 2004, there were some restrictions on joining the Ambulance Service, Fire Service and Police Force, but changes to the law made it illegal for employers to discriminate against someone because of their disability. Applications are now considered on their merits.

However, this legislation does not apply to combat roles in the Armed Forces, which will not accept anyone who has asthma at the time of applying, though they may consider you if you have not needed treatment in the last four years. Even in these circumstances, the Royal Air Force will consider you for ground service only; you will not be able to join aircrew.

Additionally, there are many other jobs where you might come across triggers that could cause you problems. It’s a matter of common sense whether you take such jobs. If, for example, flour dust is one of your triggers then you may want to avoid working as a baker.

Your employer has a general duty to protect you from asthma triggers. This may not always be possible and, if it’s really affecting you, it might be worth considering another job. Talk to your doctor about changes you can make to you medication to help you.

juliancs

Thanks super stoker!

Interesting, because I was just talking to a friend and she said her brother had to leave the RAF because of his asthma. However, once they did some tests and realised it was caused by fur allergy, he was ok to get his pilot training.

Makes me wonder....RM still no - lots of dust and smoke around....but flying...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
juliancs said:
Makes me wonder....RM still no - lots of dust and smoke around....but flying...

Ninja_Stoker said:
What I would say, is that aircrew may well be a problem also I'm afraid, due to lung-scarring, but when all is said & done the Medical Officer is the only person that will say "Yes" or "No" either way, so he/she is the only person that can give you a definitive answer.

Not sure how many times you would like me to tell you that, do let me know when the message is absorbed.

juliancs

Ninja, as much as I appreciate the help, there is no need to talk to me as if I am ignoring your posts. If you read my last post you will notice that I mentioned someone with asthma (and therefore lung scarring), getting to become a pilot. That is why I mentioned it, as it is a real situation similar to mine where the person gets in.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
As previously stated, the only person that will pass you fit is the Medical Officer, beware the advice of unqualified individuals.

How many times would you like me to tell you to speak with the medical officer?

I also doubt very much that someone with asthma was accepted for aircrew, but again the medical officer is the one who decides.

SILVER_FOX

War Hero
I haven't checked this post for a few days and can't believe what I've read. Julian - If you lie abouty anything in order to get in it can and will come back to haunt you. You could be discharged if it comes out and that would be a hell of a lot worse than not getting in at all. Don't do it!

SF

BOX_KICKER

Midshipman
I Fully agree with Ninja.

A "QUALIFIED" doctor will decide if you are fit or not for whatever branch or trade you aspire to be.
A doctor will be able to pick up any signs of asthma at a routine medical.
And if the doc says its a no then its a no.
Simple.

ITS THE MEDICAL OFFICER WHO DECIDES.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
There appears to be a lot of adverse/conflicting advice regarding asthma on this & other threads, which understandably leads to confusion or raising false hopes for the individual concerned. I make no apology for pasting a duplicate response to thread from the Fleet Air Arm forum:

Ninja_Stoker said:
I'm afraid we seem to be going around in circles with regard asthma, the Medical Officer is the only person qualified to offer advice, anyone else's anecdotal experience is not admissable.

As previously stated & written on the guidance notes of your application to join the Armed Forces you categorically need to be 4 years free from Asthma, asthma wheeze or the treatment (medication) for those symptoms. There are no exceptions.

With regard what is acceptable for Aircrew after this period has elapsed you would be well advised to PM
"DancesWithJPA" for a first-hand bit of professional advice in this particular field.

who_blue

Badgeman
A little recent experience with this probably a bit late but someone else can possibly benefit. You should declare it as it will be in your medical notes (and integrity etc).

From the way the jolly nice MO, who seemed to take account of my rather crest fallen face, painted it under new MoD rules (Sept 06) any history of Asthma requires further investigation from an in service consultant.

In my case this was madness as I've passed two military medicals previous to this point. However no wiggle room possibly a tad bitter for the next few days!

There may be the opportunity for a waiver on the horizon, due to the difference between RN and Army (who is was designed for) but no one is certain how likely it is for the head honcho to agree.

My only advice would be to declare it ASAP and get sent to that consultant quickly!

That is really unlucky, i have never known anyone so driven do become a marine. I havnt got any advice just offering my condolences

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Passed running test first week of September - not heard anything back yet Joining the Royal Navy 5
Ninja_Stoker Applying to join, but: "Haven't heard anything...." ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp ...I have never seen anything like it in my career.” Diamond Lil's 2
L Anything else Joining the Royal Navy 15
P Pussers rum cup HMS Belfast can anyone tell me anything about this? History 4
L Anglo-info deletions of anything to with UK forces / ex forces The Quarterdeck 1
cooksmate Argentina will do anything for a couple of islands The Gash Barge 17
trelawney126 Anything you can do Salmon can do Better The Gash Barge 5
C Anything I can do??! The Quarterdeck 13
Hunloin Not heard anything for ages, have I been forgotten about? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
janner Who says there is anything wrong with the French? (everyone!!!) Miscellaneous 1
NotmeChief Anything Cheaper? Diamond Lil's 1
Z Adding the Benny Hill theme tune makes anything funny Diamond Lil's 2
2_deck_dash Pretty girls can talk you into anything. Diamond Lil's 61
T "It didn't cross my mind that I had done anything wrong" The Gash Barge 67
H AIB Prep - anything iv forgotten Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Danny86 Need AET help! Junglie? Harrier? Lynx? Merlin? Anything!?!? The Fleet Air Arm 14
golden_rivet films from Germany on war (or anything else come to think) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 24
Benny687 what goes on in their...if anything.... Diamond Lil's 35
W I want one ( not that I'm a geek or anything) The Gash Barge 28
M Has anyone done anything like this? The Fleet 28
W Do you do anything to mark today? The Corps 3
Shakey Anyone know anything about this company? Diamond Lil's 6

Latest Threads