Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything I can do?

higthepig said:
onewatchtoomany said:
Hmm. I sense some sarcasm in your thread! If you read on you will note that I did go on to say that his asthma would rear it's head at some time.

"Although I would guess that at some point during your career you may suffer an attack and have to seek medical attention (not much good if it happens in a poppy field in Afghanistan!)"

Anyway, after your usefull thoughts I don't think that you are in a position to criticise. I was just giving the lad his options.

Regards.

No sarcasm at all you have blatantly told him to lie, by the way, are you serving? I`m not criticising the lad, It`s you, you made the statement, There are none so blind as those that cannot see.

Mr Hig,
I did not blatantly tell him to lie. I simply pointed out that it was an option. Is it not up to him to decide what he should do. I believe I gave a balanced view and pointed out the potential pitfalls if he was to lie.

Yes, I am serving.

juliancs said:
Im wondering now. If I get into the RM and I dont tell em I have asthma, and everything is ok, say I get an attack or problems 3 years down the line, am I kicked out?

Can I make a suggestion ------apply to join the Royal Marine Reserves and see how you get on . If you get enlisted and do some time you may then stand a better chance of joining as a regular. It will also prove that you can handle asthma .

:nemo: :nemo:

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
ChrisA said:
Julian,

I can't offer any advice, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck achieving your dream. You're overflowing with enthusiasm and commitment and that goes a long way.

Best of luck.
Not on Heartbreak Lane it doesn't.
Just trying to outdo Higs.
NZB

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you lie and get caught out after joining there is a possible criminal charge of deception to answer, still if you play your cards right those that have advised you to lie could join you in the dock for aid and abet. :thumright:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
onewatchtoomany said:
It appears that you have two options:

2. Do not disclose the fact that you have asthma. This is the best option to ensure that you get in. Although I would guess that at some point during your career you may suffer an attack and have to seek medical attention (not much good if it happens in a poppy field in Afghanistan!). If this did happen you may eventually have to attend NMBOS (Naval Medical Board Of Survey). They would not necessarily kick you out, they may just put conditions on your service.

A word of warning - I hope this gives you something to think about. Good luck!

It certainly gives me something to think about!

1. People can & do die of asthma.
2. You can be prosecuted & discharged for knowingly making a fraudulent application.
3. If a known medical condition arises in the first 56 days of training, as it invariably will on commando training, you will be discharged.
4. The medical standards are in place to safeguard the well being of the individual, they are not in place to just to be a hinderance.
5. It is extremely unlikely that the Corps would continue to employ anyone with asthma & it would be wrong to infer there was a possibility.
6. It is far better that someone is in possession of the facts from the outset, than lead to believe they may be accepted if they lie.

As previously stated, the only person that will pass you fit is the Medical Officer, beware the advice of unqualified individuals.

juliancs

im kinda confused as to why you tell me to ask my medical officer - it says all over the marine website that asthma is a no no - so going in and telling him i have asthma, does that not get my rejected straight away?

many many thanks for your answers so far.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
juliancs said:
im kinda confused as to why you tell me to ask my medical officer - it says all over the marine website that asthma is a no no - so going in and telling him i have asthma, does that not get my rejected straight away?

many many thanks for your answers so far.

If you've still got asthma, then I'm afraid it "does what it says on the can", as you well know.

I don't see what is confusing about that, however I can see you would be confused by idiots suggesting that you should lie to gain entry, which is patently foolish, wrong & unqualified advice.

juliancs said:

As Ninja has said earlier mate - to get it over and done with. If the medic says no, then you can pick yourself up, dust yourself down and try something else.

Although try not to inhale the dust when you are dusting yourself down.

You will know more than most that you would not be able to function in a firefight (or firefighting) should you have an attack. But only a doc has the training to give the definitive answer on your condition.

Best of luck with whatever happens though.

juliancs

I suppose thats it then..I still have asthma, so I guess I dont have a chance. I now need to look for another "action" job. I refuse to work in an office and stare at a computer all day. Rescue worker or firefighter perhaps.

Many thanks for your answers, and my deepest, deepest respect and thanks to all of you who are serving - some of us care about what you go through.

Good luck lads, hit em hard!

juliancs said:
I suppose thats it then..I still have asthma, so I guess I dont have a chance. I now need to look for another "action" job. I refuse to work in an office and stare at a computer all day. Rescue worker or firefighter perhaps.

Many thanks for your answers, and my deepest, deepest respect and thanks to all of you who are serving - some of us care about what you go through.

Good luck lads, hit em hard!

You won't become a bootie with a spirit like that. Get your chin off the floor and apply. At the end of the day nobody on this site can tell you if you will get in or not. As has been said previously you will never know if you don't have a go. Do you really won't to spend the rest of your life wondering what if?

It is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
onewatchtoomany said:
Julian,
Now to the main point. I think you should stick to your original idea of joining the RM's. Although not a RM I have spent the majority of my career working alongside them and (without bumming them up too much) they are a cut above the Army.
onewatchtoomany said:
juliancs said:
I suppose thats it then..I still have asthma, so I guess I dont have a chance. I now need to look for another "action" job.

You won't become a bootie with a spirit like that.

Sound words of advice, eh?

"The following conditions make a person permanently unsuitable for entry into the services...Chest disorders: Asthma, wheeze or asthma symptoms (and treatment) during the previous 4 years "

Like I have said many Times WTF is Wrong with the Recruiting People, GO AND ASK THEM IF YOU DON`T BELIEVE THE NINJA, FFS i despair.

:threaten:

elchaz

Midshipman
If your clever enough....
Take a look at these, its what im going to try if my navy application goes tits up:

www.fco.gov.uk

www.mi5careers.gov.uk

www.sis.gov.uk

No doubt they have more demanding standards for their personel academically, but maybe asthma isnt as much as an inhibiting factor!?

Also try researching jobs in 'psychological warfare', read a recent article on it, looks very interesting. Its propaganda pretty much both passive and aggressive (to an extent!)

All the best mate

If you are thinking of joining one of those outfits, it really begs the question, WTF would you join the RN for? Are you a wannabe James Bond? Jeeeeeeeeeezz.

Ninja_Stoker said:
onewatchtoomany said:
Julian,
Now to the main point. I think you should stick to your original idea of joining the RM's. Although not a RM I have spent the majority of my career working alongside them and (without bumming them up too much) they are a cut above the Army.
onewatchtoomany said:
juliancs said:
I suppose thats it then..I still have asthma, so I guess I dont have a chance. I now need to look for another "action" job.

You won't become a bootie with a spirit like that.

Sound words of advice, eh?

"The following conditions make a person permanently unsuitable for entry into the services...Chest disorders: Asthma, wheeze or asthma symptoms (and treatment) during the previous 4 years "

Ninja, I take it that you don't even think he should bother walking through the door of the careers office.

Forgove me as I do not know your background; but surely the above is open to interpretation. If you work or have worked in an AFCO then perhaps you are in a position to comment.

elchaz

Midshipman
I quote- '...if my application goes tits up...',

To serve my country is something I would love to do, the Royal Navy is what I want to do. However, if I fail to get in, I will try to pursue one of these organisations which also encompass my interests for a job.

simple
end.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
chieftiff said:
I think you have a snag to be honest, Ninja_Stoker is probably the man to answer your question as I believe he works in the AFCO,

Ninja_Stoker said:
As previously stated, the only person that will pass you fit is the Medical Officer, beware the advice of unqualified individuals.

onewatchtoomany said:
Ninja, I take it that you don't even think he should bother walking through the door of the careers office.

Forgove me as I do not know your background; but surely the above is open to interpretation. If you work or have worked in an AFCO then perhaps you are in a position to comment.

Loft on Switchy, it's all quoted from this very thread. Clearly, as repeatedly stated the MO is the one that adjudicates.

Ninja_Stoker said:
chieftiff said:
I think you have a snag to be honest, Ninja_Stoker is probably the man to answer your question as I believe he works in the AFCO,

Ninja_Stoker said:

onewatchtoomany said:

Loft on Switchy, it's all quoted from this very thread. Clearly, as repeatedly stated the MO is the one that adjudicates.

Roger. I used to work in an AFCO with a stoker. Wouldn't describe him as a Ninja though!

Roger. I used to work in an AFCO with a stoker. Wouldn't describe him as a Ninja though!

With the sort of advice you`re giving, how long did you last?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
U Passed running test first week of September - not heard anything back yet Joining the Royal Navy 5
Ninja_Stoker Applying to join, but: "Haven't heard anything...." ? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
TechFin Heading to the Careers Office, Anything I should ask? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp ...I have never seen anything like it in my career.” Diamond Lil's 2
L Anything else Joining the Royal Navy 15
P Pussers rum cup HMS Belfast can anyone tell me anything about this? History 4
L Anglo-info deletions of anything to with UK forces / ex forces The Quarterdeck 1
cooksmate Argentina will do anything for a couple of islands The Gash Barge 17
trelawney126 Anything you can do Salmon can do Better The Gash Barge 5
C Anything I can do??! The Quarterdeck 13
Hunloin Not heard anything for ages, have I been forgotten about? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
janner Who says there is anything wrong with the French? (everyone!!!) Miscellaneous 1
NotmeChief Anything Cheaper? Diamond Lil's 1
Z Adding the Benny Hill theme tune makes anything funny Diamond Lil's 2
2_deck_dash Pretty girls can talk you into anything. Diamond Lil's 61
T "It didn't cross my mind that I had done anything wrong" The Gash Barge 67
H AIB Prep - anything iv forgotten Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 24
Danny86 Need AET help! Junglie? Harrier? Lynx? Merlin? Anything!?!? The Fleet Air Arm 14
golden_rivet films from Germany on war (or anything else come to think) Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 24
Benny687 what goes on in their...if anything.... Diamond Lil's 35
W I want one ( not that I'm a geek or anything) The Gash Barge 28
M Has anyone done anything like this? The Fleet 28
W Do you do anything to mark today? The Corps 3
Shakey Anyone know anything about this company? Diamond Lil's 6

Latest Threads