Anyone with a black belt?

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by Stevie Dore, Mar 12, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a big problem. The hard drive in the wife's netbook has failed. It is a HP mini. Unfortunately for me, I neglected to make the recovery USB media when we bought it, as you do. I have ordered a new hard drive. So my question is, does anyone know how I can reinstall windows from the recovery partition of the broken hard drive onto the new one? There is no CD/DVD drive. I have managed to copy the recovery partition onto another drive, but don't know what to do with it from there. Any ideas?

2. If the HDD failed then you cannot get things back

3. Is the drive you copied the recovery partition a small 3-½ inch drive. If so then source a case for an external HDD. That should then give you a USB lead, mini usb to standard usb2/3 which should then connect to a usb port on the laptop. After that - yer on yer own dude.
    Google is your friend!!!!!!!

4. I would guess he's either sorted this out or given up seeing as how the post is almost 2 years old...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Better late than not at all. If tech support is anything to go by with all the AI, he's still on hold

6. Apple-oggies. I did get it sorted. I had a copy of windows 7 anyway. Apparently the discs contain all versions of Windows 7 and it's the product key that unlocks and installs the correct version. I fitted a new HDD and installed Windows using the HP product key on the netbook and selected the correct version to install. Result! managed a fresh install without all of the HP bloatware...... then I flogged the netbook on ebay and bought a newer one.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Beautiful. I came back for you. Your thread was dormant for so long, but finally the mystery has been solved!