Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipex

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by crazyman, May 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Come on someone must. They dont even have to be yours.

I read the books and everything decided at long last to join, it said 180 UCAS points needed which didnt worry me as my degree is worth over that in UCAS points. Which was good as my A Levels were crap.

They dont count degrees do they.

Or any course worth UCAS points under 40 points which is a shame as if they did I had 170 points, instead they said I only had 80 points.

GAH WHAT DID I DO IN A PAST LIFE? was i fecking Hitler or something. Well onto plan 4 I guess (loads shotgun and heads to the TSB).

Apologies for wasting 30 seconds of your life reading that, but im a bastard and you cant get those 30 seconds back.
  2. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

A course worth less than 40 UCAS points - what was it - Girl Guides knitting badge?

Two solutions - 1) go back and take two real A-levels

2) join up on the lower deck and work hard. The RN commissions plenty of people from the lower deck.

Officers (and potential officers) don't stand around feeling sorry for themselves, they find answers and make things happen....
  3. Shippers - no worries, you sound far too stupid to be in the FAA try the stewarding branch.

also TSB has now been merged into Lloyds so go there and kill the lloyds staff.

also as i am a wafu in fishhead land i am really bored so spend all my day surfing the net and pissing of teh civvys and general surface staff as much as possible.
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

A shame indeed.

The reason that you need 5 GCSE's A*-C and 180 UCAS points at A level standard from at least two non-overlapping subjects, scoring no less than 40 UCAS points is because you need a broad-based educational background. Whilst a non-vocational degree is accepted and doubles your earning potential upon entry as an Officer, it doesn't automatically mean you will be a good officer unfortunately.

Sadly many colleges also claim that their BTecs & HNDs are worth the equivalent of "X" amount of A Levels. They maybe on the UCAS tariff, but often they aren't valid for entry as an Officer due to the lack of academic content. Either way they have to be validated by the AIB.

Good luck to you.
  5. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

Not really that stupid, they just didnt send my a level papers off and i got a deferred mark based on my gcse grades and ofsted assesment of the school i went to before i went to college. Sadly i was on holiday until two days after the date that appeals needed to be submitted by.

Also thanks Ninja_Stoker that makes good sense. Going to go away and do some science a levels shouldnt be that hard as i teach science at a level.
  6. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

I hope that the following will help you in some way. First of all, I imagine that you feel disappointed and upset at the moment but I promise you that by tomorrow you will begin to feel better. One of the advantages of posting on Rum Ration is that some of your fellow members are extremely old people, you know, over 30 and so on. This means that you are now talking to a load of people who have been through what you are going through now or similar situations and got through it and ended up in a better situation than they would have if things had gone smoothly. Some of the most content and successful people are the ones who met obstacles and had to work out how to get round them and make new progress. This will happen to you.

I've just tried to whizz through your various posts to get a fuller picture of your situation but I've got a pretty busy day and I wondered if you could fill me in with a couple of details. Bear with me.

Is it the case that you wanted to join the FAA but need 180 UCAS points, which are calculated on A-Levels? Can you tell me what you have in terms of qualifications so far? Which A-Levels and O-Levels do you have? What are these other low-scoring UCAS points courses which you would have liked to have had considered? Am I right in thinking that you are completing your degree as we speak? Subject? Expected Class? And I guess that you are about 21?

Last couple of questions. What is it about the FAA which you find attractive? Have you called in at your local AFCO yet? This will all look a whole lot better if you can meet someone in person. If you can give us an idea as to your nearest large town, we can point you towards someone you can meet up with to go through the possibilities open to you. You will feel tons better.

Come on, give yourself a shake!
  7. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

In order of how you asked,
    GCSE Maths, Science (Double) English, Statistics, D&T at C or Above
    A Levels, Law (C) Physics (E)
    As Levels Biology (D) English Language (E)
    Other Quals
    Adult Literacy Level 1 & 2 (noticed my grammar was shite was making me an ineffective teacher so I went off to improve it)
    Level 3 Keyskills IT
    Level 2 Adult Numeracy

BSc (Hons) 2:2 Science and Education studies

Why the FAA? I cant think of answer that doesnt make me sound like a real walt so i apoligise. I like the sound of the FAA because it presents a unique challange that is hard to find anywhere else the chance to work with the things I love (planes/helicopters). The chance to do a job in different situations, to learn new skills and qualities that are hard to get anywhere else, to meet people that you shouldnt get to meet anywhere else. Lets face it the navy provides you with experiences and friends that you couldnt meet anywhere else, I would be intrested in other areas of the Navy wherever they think I could fit in, although the FAA if I had a choice would be my preferance.

Now im sorry about how walty/mong like that sounded.

I'm 22 at the moment. When I spoke to the person ealier he said he was going to send me some more information on other possibilities as a rating which sounded good and in a few weeks time afco in Lincoln would phone me to arrange a chat.

*shakes himself* sorted normal service has been resumed.
  8. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

Hi Crazyman,

Looking at what you have just sent to Soleil I would agree that you currently only have 80 points from your "A" level at C in Law the others don't count unfortunately. Therefore you need to get a further 100 UCASpoints to join directly as a officer. What job are you looking at doing within the FAA. If for instance you fancy Aircraft Engineering you could join as an Aircraft Engineering Technician, they have built into there training the chance to get a Foundation degree in Engineering. What you could then do is do further studies at the ED centre and then put in for an in-service commision to become a Aircraft Engineering officer.

It's definately worth talking to your local AFCO/RN careers office, they will be able to give you all the info and let you choose the career path which best suits you.

Neil - Supermario
  9. You are still a young man. Take a couple more A levels in quality subjects acceptable to the RN, gain the extra points needed for entry as an officer. As has been said earlier you will then be paid extra due to your degree. You should be able to do this in less than two year.
    It's easier to join as an officer than to get promoted from the lower deck.
  10. If you were to do biology, with the AS level already in the bag, could you do just the A2 and make damn sure you get an A or B? With the B being worth 100 points.

You would need to check you could realistically get an A or B with the first years module grades you currently have.

P.S. for those that aren't aware, AS level is the first year of A-Level, with A2 being the second year - I have noted some people are unaware of this new-ish system
  11. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

thanks all i have looked into it and i can redo my entire a level in biology, in 2 days in september.

Thanks for all the advice all very good and constructive.
  12. Adult Literacy Level 1 & 2 (noticed my grammar was shite was making me an ineffective teacher so I went off to improve it)

So you are a Teacher?

I`m confused.

How long do you do at college/university to become a Teacher?

Forgive me please. I `m 69 years old and my memory is not as good as it was, my Forgetfullness is magnificent.
  13. Perhaps you should try for a LLB, majoring in jurisprudence. That would show the RN you can learn facts, understand and interpret difficult concepts and apply them to (hopefully) real situations...

...then again you could simply join as a Seaman rating and after a couple of years transfer to become a Professional Crusher (PC). ;)
  14. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

Okay so let me get this straight, you cant join directly if you have a masters, Bsc/BA (hons) degree but can if you have a few a level's. just had a look on UCAS site about points and can see were the 180 points come from but it is madness not to include degrees. :dwarf:
  15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Not necessarily - I've met some people with degrees who I wouldn't trust to sit the right way round on the crapper! A number of these people were functionally illiterate and/or innumerate but are regarded as having a degree level education - would you want someone such as this responsible for writing your RORRS report? ^_^;
  16. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

Made my day that, good drills! :rofl: :notworthy: Brilliant!
  17. my degree was a teaching degree. Half education studies which was theory of education combined with practical teaching placements. The science element was pure science mainly biology and physics up to degree level with a bit of chemistry thrown in. So that once i finished my degree in theory i would be able to go out and teach.

Sadly this wasn't so, I noticed that the main failing of only even having done sciences was that my own grammer and ability to convey the ideas and concepts through writing was poor. I found that this disadvantaged the pupils in the school I was working at and damaging their chances. So I told them I was leaving and left when someone was found to take my place. I then went back to college to learn the real basics I took all the jokes and the comments about being able to do science but not spell. I gained sufficient knowledge and understanding however I have decided that it might be a good idea to go away and do other things and get more experience of life. Afterall I relise now that many teachers I met, that went straight through education to teaching never seem quite human to me.

To answer the rest of your question I finished my degree when I had just turned 21, taught soon after. I quit 6 months ago and have been doing the administration for a training firm since.

Hope that answers your queries mate.
  18. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Google the "Leitch Report" from memory I believe he assessed that 7% of graduates are functionally illiterate, inumerate or at least have significant difficulties with numbers, reading and writing (excluding those with dyslexia, dyscalcula etc). It's a crazy world that we live in.
  19. Re: Anyone want to lend me some alevels and a bottle of tipe

also they could tell you the cubic capacity of a jam jar/ but were f**ked when it came to taking the lid off :salut: :thumright:
  20. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Worst example I ever saw was a PhD candidate who was researching formal methods of software development (some very abstract complex maths theory here) yet failed badly at interview due to a complete lack of understanding of basic maths and english. What was even scarier, was when we told him of his failure he seemed unable to comprehend that his PhD in Z wasn't enough to guarantee him a job and that he actually needed to be able to understand some simpler engineering concepts and have the ability to string words together to make sense - his "university" had convinced him that his research alone would guarantee him employment. In honesty, we're turning out a generation of graduates who, through no fault of their own, are being set up to fail by the education system despite Bliar's proclamation of "Education, educasion, edukayshun".