Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the 21

Discussion in 'Social & Reunions' started by Sparrowhawk01, Oct 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I spin dits to my lads on watch about being on the 21's when the navy felt far more worth while than it does now, and they think i've gone off my head. i try to impart the comaradery and feeling of pride i had whilst serving on the old girl and it just doesn't exist today.

2. Spent three good years on the Avenger, Sparrow....loved every minute of it..... :thumright: :thumright:

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Ooh, I proposed to Mrs. SPB on board her decomissioning Families Day... :love7:

4. Was going to ask if that was a good or bad thing Sgt....but I won't.
    (I mean the propossing thing by the way, not the decommissioning of the Avenger!!) :whew: :whew:

5. sgtpepperband

Hehe... the ship decommisioning was not necessarily a bad thing as I wasn't serving on it at the time (I was invited by a mate). As for the proposal, well I must've done something right...

...I'm in Diego Garcia (Married Unaccompanied)! :relax: :thumbright:

6. Ah....Diego Garcia, run by the Yanks is it not? and started when Mauritius closed? (was in Mauritius single/married accompanied for four and a half years...heaven!) Thought Diego was accompanied though??

7. sgtpepperband

British island; US Naval Support Facility (but we let them think they run it...). :wink: British laws, US currency. Not married accompanied, nor ever has been. Too much sneaky stuff here... :twisted:

8. Thanks for the info Sgt....you have fun (do I need to tell you that??!!) :w00t:

9. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

Back to topic.

Served in Active (Inactive get it?), Avenger and Arrow... Best ships ion the fleet, worked very well, and easy to fix.

Went to Pakistan with two of them when they were sold on.

To see a number of them at sea as a squardron was well worth it.

I don't think there will ever be another squadron with as much ethos ever again.

Sad but true

10. Surfed on Amazon.com ... does that count?

SF

11. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

No, but one of the 21 Skippers went water ski-ing behind his ship - wow ! 2 ollys in your motor boat !

12. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

Yep, can't remember which one, but my oppo Coset Powell did it for carity on the Amazon during a WIGS deployment in '91

13. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

"Love is Alacrity" was one slogan I remember.

The 4FS had a unique ethos and unity that has never been matched since.

14. When Antelope was sunk in the Falklands, divers retrieved one of her 20mm guns and we had it mounted fwd (on Avenger) and called it "Antelopes' Avenger" ....kinda neat that!!

15. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

Ex- Ardent, from build....had a draft note for Antelope, but sadly, did not meet up

Fine ships and Happy ships....the new [then] 'Greyhounds of the Fleet'

They were an 'off the peg' to meet a need and they did well

Still going, as high speed curry-houses, I see

Antelope 'T' shirt.....Eats, Roots, Shoots and Leaves

'Two big ones burnin' and turnin', teas wet, keep it steady' :thumright:

16. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

I'm sure all the T21's went waterskiing at one time or another. I was in Amazon in 83 when we did & I'm sure Avenger (Capt 4FS) did it before us.
    (Slightly off-topic: We also did it in Liverpool in '84)
    I recall an engineering notice being issued to stop waterskiing because bits of rudders etc were falling off due to the strain. I think you had to disable one of the ME interlocks to run up the shaft to about 100 rmp with zero pitch before clagging in immediate full pitch on the props to get decent enough accelleration to get the skiier going & this caused excess strain on the fittings.

Amazon was one of the best appointments I had & the T21 club all seemed to be very happy ships.

17. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

Memories ! Active in about 1981 hurrying away from Faslane.

[​IMG][/img]

18. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

Kinda off topic, but DG - one of the best drafts for a MU matelot. Cheap beer and beef, trips to singers on subsidised USAF (and Los Angeles if you're really cunning), amazing beaches, USAF Media Ops ladies who equally have "needs"...., as they say in the US, what's not to like?

19. Yep. Had the pleasure of having Arrow as my first draft in 89/91 with WIGS and Falklands deployments. Still got pictures of Maggie and George Bush on the flightdeck in Bermuda.

What a trip.

20. Re: Anyone serve on the amazon or indeed was a member of the

Didn't the ship have a fire exercise that went wrong on that day?
    ^_^; ^_^; ^_^;