Anyone recognise this rig?

Epaulettes came in around 1983, I picked my PO's up in 1982 and had to sew my crossed hooks on to my 8's, had to do the same with the wooley pulley as they didn't have epaulettes initially.
Got to correct you there Wrecks.
I was issued with 8's with epaulettes when I joined in '77.
Half the class got them, the rest were issued with the old style.

Got to correct you there Wrecks.
I was issued with 8's with epaulettes when I joined in '77.
Half the class got them, the rest were issued with the old style.
I definitely had the old ones in 82 as I got bollocked by the XO for not having my new rate badge sewn on by the next day. I remember the brand new Mrs Wrecks refusing to sew them on and having to do it myself. I have a photo of myself as a killick, taken in 81, with the rate badge sewn on my 8's. All in the phot had non-epaulette 8's on. Maybe there was an extended transition period whereby the new style were phased in, as this was in KUA days.

Seadog

War Hero
I reached the dizzy heights of LMEM in the summer of 83. Brian Adams sang about how I didn't have to do any sewing. He didn't take overalls into account the big Canadian fud.

Maybe there was an extended transition period whereby the new style were phased in, as this was in KUA days.
Oh yeah, definitely. The old style were around for ages.
In fact, they caused a bit of confusion at times when a young looking CPO Artificer was often mistaken for a Junior Rate when no headgear was worn :D
(Not me - I had the new style).

The nylon No8s were rapidly replaced after the Falklands conflict, except for submariners, until the invention of NOMEX No8s and then we ended up with the GS No8S, mid 1990s IIRC.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, the polyester 8's & overalls were replaced with cotton in late 1982, soaked in a flame retardent borax solution. The flame retardent bit was soon got rid of on first contact with the Chinese laundry, even before they got as far as the Magic Button Crushing Machine.

Nomex 8's were issued to submariners first as they classed them as a re-entry firefighting rig initially.

We were issued nomex 8s in 1999, and promptly has then taken off us once the Gunners realised they wouldn't hold a crease!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had my Nomex in the mid/late 80's? Got told at Dolphin in 91 that we weren't to wear them except at sea and the badges and cloth Dolphins had to be removed

Last edited:
I remember trialling the cloth dolphins on Opportune 1992/93. I joined Faslane with them still sown on, reggies had a field day trying to get me to remove them!

Seadog

War Hero
The 'nylon' 8s were actually (35/65) polyester and cotton. Standing by to be corrected on the ratio. Their replacements were 'kin 'orrible.

The USN blue overalls ( all ranks and rates) are poly/cotton, smart as ten and I believe, fire retardant.

Yep, the polyester 8's & overalls were replaced with cotton in late 1982, soaked in a flame retardent borax solution. The flame retardent bit was soon got rid of on first contact with the Chinese laundry, even before they got as far as the Magic Button Crushing Machine.

Nomex 8's were issued to submariners first as they classed them as a re-entry firefighting rig initially.
When you racked out in Nomex 8's you sweated your nads off. They were eventually binned, as the dit went that I heard, was because they cost more than a No 1 suit. Pusser was forever changing 8's material, who remembers the Noggy shirt tops?

Ironically, when I joined up I was issued cotton 8's and when I left 33 years later I was back in cotton 8's with a loft full of the various material/type of 8's dished out over the years.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dustyjack History 6
L History 8
I History 12