Anyone recognise this rig?

gregleeds

Badgeman
So I'm doing a bit of research for my partner. This is her grandad around the mid 40s. He looks like some sort of comms or radio operator.

After the war he worked with planes. We don't have much info about him but that would maybe suggest the air force perhaps?

I know it's not the best picture but does anyone recognise this sort of set up? Any info would be great.

Ta.

Attachments

• IMG-20171225-WA0015.jpg
    IMG-20171225-WA0015.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 145

Wightsparker

War Hero
We don't have much info about him but that would maybe suggest the air force perhaps?

You may be right about possibly RAF - or British Army in the Near or Middle East?

Some sort of shield on the wall behind him - and a nice tea mug within reach of his transmitting hand.

Sumo

War Hero
Ninja_Stoker said:
Could be wrong but don't think the RN Number 8 uniform came in until after WW2. Possibly some of our more senior sailors can confirm?
How many years you done, don't come more senior than that:p:D

huwshpis

War Hero
IIRC, I read somewhere in a BR, many years ago, that 8s were introduced in the 1950's. Has anybody got a selection of old Naval Rating's Handbooks, that might be a way to find out.

huwshpis

War Hero
Just did a quick look on Google, a BBC report suggests action working dress (No.8's when I was in, then No.4's) was adopted during or shortly after WW2.

Edited to add that Godfrey Dykes' website www.godfreydykes.info says that No 8's were first trialled in 1947, but then goes on to say that they had been a private purchase item from some naval outfitters since about 1944 (prior to D-Day).

Last edited:

fishhead

War Hero
During wartime I believe there were problems keeping everyone in the correct uniform for their service. I have seen photos of RN personnel in army style uniforms. Also if they were serving in an overseas billet they would sometimes conform with whatever the locals were wearing.
@gregleeds it is possible to get hold of a person's service records from the National Archives at Kew but they do charge a fee.

D

Deleted 59428

IIRC, I read somewhere in a BR, many years ago, that 8s were introduced in the 1950's. Has anybody got a selection of old Naval Rating's Handbooks, that might be a way to find out.
487.—Working Dress for Naval Air Crews and Action Working Dress—

Purchase from Outfitters by Ratings

(V. 11/5437/45.—9 Aug. 1945.)

Dress No. 3A (Working Dress for Naval Air Crews) and Dress No. 8 (Action

Working Dress) may, if desired, be purchased from outfitters on the authority of

Form S.110.

2. Pending a reprint of the form, officers authorizing the purchase of either

of these items should add the item in manuscript on the back of Form S. 110 as

follows :—

t 23A Working dress for Naval Air Crews, or

f 23B Action Working Dress.

(A.F.Os. 5817/43, 1283/45, 212&/45 and 2647/45.)

8s were instituted by the British Pacific Fleet, under Fraser's dictum that the BPF should cleave as closely as possible to the USN. Thus we adopted the Bluejackets' style of uniform of denim shirts and trousers. It kinda evolved from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads