Anyone recognise this rig?

So I'm doing a bit of research for my partner. This is her grandad around the mid 40s. He looks like some sort of comms or radio operator.

After the war he worked with planes. We don't have much info about him but that would maybe suggest the air force perhaps?

I know it's not the best picture but does anyone recognise this sort of set up? Any info would be great.

Ta.

Attachments

Ninja_Stoker said:
Could be wrong but don't think the RN Number 8 uniform came in until after WW2. Possibly some of our more senior sailors can confirm?
How many years you done, don't come more senior than that:p:D

huwshpis

Lantern Swinger
IIRC, I read somewhere in a BR, many years ago, that 8s were introduced in the 1950's. Has anybody got a selection of old Naval Rating's Handbooks, that might be a way to find out.

huwshpis

Lantern Swinger
Just did a quick look on Google, a BBC report suggests action working dress (No.8's when I was in, then No.4's) was adopted during or shortly after WW2.

Edited to add that Godfrey Dykes' website www.godfreydykes.info says that No 8's were first trialled in 1947, but then goes on to say that they had been a private purchase item from some naval outfitters since about 1944 (prior to D-Day).

Last edited:
During wartime I believe there were problems keeping everyone in the correct uniform for their service. I have seen photos of RN personnel in army style uniforms. Also if they were serving in an overseas billet they would sometimes conform with whatever the locals were wearing.
@gregleeds it is possible to get hold of a person's service records from the National Archives at Kew but they do charge a fee.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
IIRC, I read somewhere in a BR, many years ago, that 8s were introduced in the 1950's. Has anybody got a selection of old Naval Rating's Handbooks, that might be a way to find out.
487.—Working Dress for Naval Air Crews and Action Working Dress—

Purchase from Outfitters by Ratings

(V. 11/5437/45.—9 Aug. 1945.)

Dress No. 3A (Working Dress for Naval Air Crews) and Dress No. 8 (Action

Working Dress) may, if desired, be purchased from outfitters on the authority of

Form S.110.

2. Pending a reprint of the form, officers authorizing the purchase of either

of these items should add the item in manuscript on the back of Form S. 110 as

follows :—

t 23A Working dress for Naval Air Crews, or

f 23B Action Working Dress.

(A.F.Os. 5817/43, 1283/45, 212&/45 and 2647/45.)

8s were instituted by the British Pacific Fleet, under Fraser's dictum that the BPF should cleave as closely as possible to the USN. Thus we adopted the Bluejackets' style of uniform of denim shirts and trousers. It kinda evolved from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
8s were instituted by the British Pacific Fleet, under Fraser's dictum that the BPF should cleave as closely as possible to the USN. Thus we adopted the Bluejackets' style of uniform of denim shirts and trousers. It kinda evolved from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Americans had a vast amount of equipment and kit that we sadly didn't have. Their sleeping bags and holdalls were far superior to anything we had., The same for their uniforms.
My understanding of finding clothing suitable to go under Flying Overalls and Immersion Suits started the problem off. Rating Observers and Pilots who were mostly Chiefs.and Po's. were ok they could remove their jackets and fit comfortably in their flying gear. Not so the Leading Airman TAG's. They were dressed as seamen in their number threes as dress of the day. An ill fit inside their flying gear.
Certain Petty Officer Pilots and Observers also had problems in that they were Acting and enduring a year dressed as seamen. Overalls were considered as alternative wear,but sensibly ruled out. The USN working dress was ideal and found its way into grudgingly accepted rating aircrew wear.
Those wo purchased their No 8's dipped out when a free issue was made##They didn't get their money back

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
That may have been helpful but without a relevant link, I'm at a loss as to how and/or why.
By 1944 and well before D-Day, a firm in Leeds West Yorkshire [PJ Bros] has developed a shirt and trouser rig which was dubbed No8 Rig by the Admiralty. At the time, the Admiralty had other much more important things on its mind than the 'trivia' of uniforms, and whilst accepting the principle, were not prepare to fund it, choosing instead to spend every available penny on prosecuting the war. PJ Bros had made it known that the trial rig was approved and had sold the new clothing to naval tailors and to other commercial outlets. The naval SLOP's system did not take up the offer! In 1945, almost coinciding with VJ-Day, the Admiralty issued AFO 4487/45 which gave the green flag for the Fleet Air Arm [Naval air crews] to purchase their own set of No8's from outfitters [Naval Tailors] to be reimbursed at a latter date by Stores 'S' Form action. That action in itself, gives a clue that the Admiralty had every intention of adopting the uniform, and when it did and issues commenced, those who had purchased their own kit [on reimbursement] were not eligible for a gratuitous issue later on. This is the text of that AFO
Not sure where the lines have come from.

487.—Working Dress for Naval Air Crews and Action Working Dress—

Purchase from Outfitters by Ratings

(V. 11/5437/45.—9 Aug. 1945.)

Dress No. 3A (Working Dress for Naval Air Crews) and Dress No. 8 (Action

Working Dress) may, if desired, be purchased from outfitters on the authority of

Form S.110.

2. Pending a reprint of the form, officers authorizing the purchase of either

of these items should add the item in manuscript on the back of Form S. 110 as

follows :—

t 23A Working dress for Naval Air Crews, or

f 23B Action Working Dress.

(A.F.Os. 5817/43, 1283/45, 212&/45 and 2647/45.)
I was issued with 3A's for rating aircrew in the mid 70's, looking at many of the course pics prior to mine they go back to the mid 60's. Prior to that the course images show rating aircrew in non 1's and 2's.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dustyjack History 6
L History 8
I History 12