Anyone know the needs of the service for Aircrewman right now?

I am looking at joining the navy hopefully as either an aircrewman or as an RFA Deck Officer (Cadet) and was wondering how long it would take from application to start date and if it is a likely role to get? Also which of these carrers are an overall better life style?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The two jobs are quite different. One is a civilian seagoing navigational role, the other is a military aviation role which involves going to sea if streamed in the anti-submarine role, but largely shore based if employed in the Commando aircrewman role.

Flash to bang for RN Aircrew is about 12 months on average but fewer than 10% of applicants who get as far as attempting flying aptitute (CBAT), actually pass it and the follow-up aviation medical examination has a high attrition rate also. Not trying to put you off, just giving the unpalatable truth. Any history of asthma, for example, forget it.

Best bet? Call your nearest AFCO for a briefing: 03456 07 55 55

Good luck.

Anyone know how to train for your Flying Aptitude tests or is it just "you can do it or you cannot do it no matter how much you train"?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Anyone know how to train for your Flying Aptitude tests or is it just "you can do it or you cannot do it no matter how much you train"?
An enhanced inate ability with mental arithmetic and the manual hand-eye dexterity of a computer-gamer certainly help, but I'm repeatedly advised that a retake following a fail seldom results in an improved score.

If basing a career decision purely on the time taken to join, complete training and do the job, then I'd probably advise a non technical undersubscribed occupation rather than either of the jobs in the poll.

I can testify to the aircrew attrition rates. An example of my time. 140 applicants. 12 resulted in being awarded their wings.
The medical had the higher attrition rate.
As for preparation. Search on here, loads of advice/help from folk who have recently applied.

An enhanced inate ability with mental arithmetic and the manual hand-eye dexterity of a computer-gamer certainly help, but I'm repeatedly advised that a retake following a fail seldom results in an improved score.

If basing a career decision purely on the time taken to join, complete training and do the job, then I'd probably advise a non technical undersubscribed occupation rather than either of the jobs in the poll.
Would this be a role such as Writer and meteorology?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Would this be a role such as Writer and meteorology?
If the career choice is governed by the time it takes to join rather than the actual job you intend doing, then it's probably best to join the Army as they have more vacancies than the Navy.

The Navy currently has a manning shortfall of 970 and is bizarrely considering reducing manpower in the Royal Marines by a 1000 because, erm... erm. Aircraft Carrier, that's it, aircraft carrier. Damn, where did that come from? Who knew?

If he is after a cushy number, there's always stoker M:rolleyes:

In coming!
Remember to change your clocks, it is 01:30 and in one hour it will be 01:30

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Blue Jokes 0
T The Fleet Air Arm 10
anuvverarrser History 2