Anyone 'in IT'?

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by Guzzler, Jan 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently mentioned my possible, well...probable, redundancy. Seems I may have that covered for now and remain in employment with the same company, but due to the circumstances was thinking of re-training anyhow, as a back-up to add to my CV. Have had a seemingly perfect offer for training in the above (at a fair old cost), but seems almost too good to be true.

If anyone has any knowledge of this industry (civvy that is, not within the mob - it's not the technicalities I'm concerned about - more the prospects) I would be grateful if you'd PM me, as I have a couple of questions, in particular about a certain course/course provider.

Many thanks.

2. Many thanks S_S.

3. Guzzler

I have to be really honest with you - I know quite a few people who have been "in IT" for many years and they are saying that it is very very hard out there, even for seasoned IT professionals.

Their wise counsel is only to do any IT training in software for which you can see a proven and sellable use. They are telling me that the current requirement is for very specific experience/qualifications; just having a qualification "in IT" isn't opening doors at the moment.

There are a couple of industry newspapers - there is one called "Computing" which carries jobs at the back. That section used to be pages thick but nowadays it's much thinner. Have a look and write down exactly what firms are looking for; I don't know what's current myself - I thought it was Java but will check.

Only hand over your hard-earned readies for training in an aspect of IT for which you can see jobs being advertised in black and white.

In my very humble opinion.

4. What he said.

I work in an IT department that two years ago was almost fifty strong, and has since been whittled down to just about twenty, my humble advice is, unless you have specific skills and a fair bit of experience, try something else......DM

6. It's your security clearances and IT experience that will open doors for you! I work have worked in IT 3 yrs now and was totoally new to it, avoid IT bootcamps and expensive courses etc I basically did resettlement fith Jbc they re invent your CV get away from all the RN crap you have on there ( no one is really interested in what you did in the RN anyway ) then nail down a basic helpdesk/1st line job and go from there.

7. RE IT :roll: know someone!!!! Who works for this Company :wink: http://www.atosorigin.com/en-us/ And hes a Gooner

8. I can certainly recommend JBC at Coventry. I had an interview and job by the end of the course. It was an IT contract, didnt last too long but helped me on the first rung of the IT ladder. I got lucky in the end and now a System Administrator for a global company. Ive been in IT for the past 6 years now and jobs in the industry are a bit thin on the ground, especially in the North East where im based. But good luck.

9. Family over here in Ireland have just emigrated to OZ both into IT

10. Not to put a dampener but IT jobs are becoming harder to get, more graduates and a lot of cheap overseas competition. Get basic qualifications something like the ECDL (European Computer Driving Licence), MCSEs etc are well and good if you have the experience but as a start are expensive.

I worked in IT for 20 years and its changed a lot in the last 5 years, outsourcing, cheap labour, overseas call centres have forced wages down and stiffened prospects.

If you want to work in the industry, start on a helpdesk or desk jockey swapping out keyboards, monitors and printers.

11. Not if you go to Learn Direct.
    -
    http://www.learndirect.co.uk/

12. Bumping this up to offer help.

I'm a sysadmin in a sizeable company with a large IT investment.

I'm leaving to join the RN so I can't give any advice on the transition from forces to civvy street, but PM me or post here if there's anything about the industry you'd like to know. I'm only 4 years in the industry but I'm in a situation to pass questions on to more experienced colleagues, including those who hire and fire.

13. Anyone in IT?

Just been in there to get some disks!!!

14. All depends on what you're looking for and what you're prepared to do for it. If you look at Govt and Defence work, there are permie and contract roles available ranging from Helpdesk to Systems' Designers.

I'm a contractor, very few quals but almost a decades' worth of experience now, and using SC (and DV) have managed to keep myself in work for an average of 10 months a year, bringing in well above £50k a year..

The downside is that I'm driving 120 miles a day in my current contract and you can be out of work very quickly. Upside is that as a contractor with my own limited company, I take home most of what I earn..

The work is there.. just sometimes hard to find.

15. 4 years in IT bored stiff now will try something else , lacks any job satisfaction IT really does in fact there is none!

16. Ditto above,I am an IT technician at a school,great working with the teachers and kids,but god is IT boring! All the good IT technicians have no social skills and have charisma bypasses.

17. Mmmmmmmmm

IT...... (not to be confused with the Instructional Technique IT), courses for which were provided at HMS VICTORY (not to confused with the other HMS VICTORY) at the RNSETT, RN School of Education, Teaching, Training (or something very similar) not to be confused with the RNSETT Submarine Escape Training Tank at HMS DOLPHIN (not to be confused with Fort Blockhouse).

I hope that clarifies any confusion.

Confused of Cosham,
    (or is that Cozzum?)

18. My last 3 1/2 years in the mob were spent at Collingwood on mechs course (got redundancy as part of Options for change). There was (and hopefully still is) a small training department on the ground floor of Atlantic block (Christ on a bike, I remembered its name!) run by Serco. Left hand side when looking from the parade ground.

All free and studied for, and got, my Novell Certified Administrator exam (CNA) back in 97. Just in time to go job hunting and become a strawberry. Definitely opened a couple of doors for me.

IT work now, as has been said previously, has declined by the influx of cheap labour from India, especially.