Anyone here who got commissioned a pilot from AET/M?

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by wannabeaet, Jul 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My status: Just started phase 2b at RNAS Yeovilton (815), enjoyed my training so far, think I would enjoy AE work, but want more, want to be a Pilot, and had the idea in my head when I signed on the dotted line last year.

I'm going to get phase 2b out of the way before I start the ball rolling, but obviously haven't got a huge amount of time, having to get it done before 26, i'm now 22.
    I am going to speak to the Ratings Careers Advisor next week, and perhaps with my DO, but I'd just like to know what anyone knows of the process of rating to Pilot, hoops I need to jump through, any friendly advice.
    I know it's been done plenty of times before, of course 1/3 of Officers were ratings, I've even spoken to a LtCdr who did exactly this, now flying Lynx, though he did it about 20 years ago.
  2. If you want it.................Go for it. Don't let anyone put you off
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks, I'm determined that I'm definitely going to go for it, I've pretty much done the best I can do so far at my course, received recognition from my old WO in HMS Sultan, got fast-tracked, and I aim to continue my efforts.
    That way I can say, if anyone can do it, I can.
    It's gonna be an arduous process, and I know that there's every chance it won't come to fruition, but at least at the end of that, I'll be able to go to plan B, or even C (there is a plan B & C) and know I tried my best - ding!
  4. :wink: :wink: The Main Man Slim !! remember?? ( SPIV LEAHY did his" Pre Flight Check " with his black silver ended walking stick :roll: )Captain Alan Leahy CBE DSC RN
    Joined the Royal Navy in 1943 as Naval Airman 2nd Class. he was trained by the US Navy as a fighter pilot flying Corsairs. Later he qualified as an Air Weapons Officer. He has served on the aircraft carriers Implacable, Illustrious, Theseus, Vengeance, Glory, Bulwark, Ark Royal, Victorious and Hermes. He commanded 738 (Seahawks), 803 (Scimitars) 700 Z and 809 (Buccaneers) and has flown 35 different types of aircraft. In 1953 he was awarded the DSC for operations over Korea flying Sea Furies in 801 Squadron from HMS Glory. He was the leader of the all red Royal Navy Seahawk aerobatic team of five aircraft at the 1957 Farnborough Air Show. He was made MBE in 1958. Amongst a variety of appointments he was Director of the Naval Air Warfare Division of the Naval Staff when the Royal Navy got approval for the Sea Harrier. His final appointment was as Commodore Clyde in command of HMS Neptune and the Faslane Submarine Base. He was appointed ADC in 1977 and promoted to CBE in 1978.
  5. Mate it can be done if you have the skills and dedication. I have two friends from Tiffs course one was Avionics the other a Grubber, both went the officer route and became pilots. One is now a Rotary Wing Test pilot and the other is a Squadron CO.
  6. Very similar tales.

If you want it bad enough just put the time in and your efforts should be rewarded.
  7. Cheers for the encouragement. It's really nice to hear that people do know a few people who have done it, just gives me hope, as it just all seems so far-fetched!
    I've done pretty well in my course so far, I'm currently potential fast-track status and am confident that that will come to fruition, just a couple more essays and a presentation to give, but obviously before I get a killicks course place I'll be aiming towards this commission.

Well I don't think there's really much more to be said on this, unless anyone can think of any people I want to be speaking to, or AP's to perhaps be reading, maybe some friendly tips?
    Hopefully I can revisit this thread in a couple years time from BRNC :1:
  8. wannabeaet

Let me know how you get on, qualified as an aet 4 months ago. On harriers.

Im thinking of doing the same thing.

Get in touch mate.
  11. I did.

But was limmed to hangar sorties only!!! :D
  12. You're going to need more than luck - whilst I join the others in wishing you every'll also need the right educational qualifications, near perfect medical condition, age on your side, aptitude, ability, unwavering enthusiasm and dedication and about 10 years of perfect performance in the training environment - for a start.
  13. *Wipes away the cobwebs*.

Hello again all.
    So I did what I said I would.
    Got fast-track.
    Did my front-liner.
    Got my papers raised.
    Now back at HMS Sultan on LAETAV course and got my FATS on monday!

I have been practicing bits and bobs, various games, hand-eye games with a mouse (no joystick), and completing maths exams, speed- time-distances and iq tests etc online.

Just wondering if there's anyone out there who could chuck me some last minute advice on FATS?
    Maybe somebody lurking on here who is in the know or who may have sat it recently?

Cheers :).
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Not me but good luck.

I have quite a few mates who did what you are doing. Several are 4 ring captains that fly you on your hols to exotic locations courtesy of Mr Branson!!!

It's worth it - stick at it and reap the rewards.:thumright:
  15. Good effort and luck to you. There is a bloke where I'm working who came up the same route who is now a Lt Cdr, A2 QHI with oodles of hours on Junglies and a nice tour in the states under his belt. It can definitely be done if you put the effort in and have the aptitude.

I did OASC ages ago but I can't believe it has changed that much. Main thing is to go prepared, as you are, get a good nights sleep beforehand and have confidence in yourself.

Next step grading!
  16. Well done - you've clearly worked hard and good luck in achieving your ambition.
  17. I'll echo what the other guys have said and congratulate you on having got this far. I had an AEM in my division (bombhead) who did exactly the same thing. It was a long process but he ended up as a Junglie and, later on, joined Air 2000 on the Airbus. Also, two of my mates on the mighty SHAR =D were ex Lower Deck. One is now with Virgin and the other with BA. So, it can be done.

To be honest, it sounds like you're doing the correct prep for the FATs. You can't really prepare too much for the hand-eye co-ordination tests because you've either got that or you haven't. If you haven't, then playing video games etc won't really help. The maths and IQ tests, however, are well worth as much practice as you can muster, especially the speed, distance, time stuff. I don't know if you read it on the thread in the Joining Up forum but one of the the best tips for SDT is to treat your speed in miles per minute. So just divide the speed by 60 and then use the smaller numbers, rather than lots more division/multiplication. Time to cover 240 miles at 360 kts? 360 kts = 6 nm/minute; 240/6 = 40 minutes. Sure, you can do 240/360*60 but the miles/min is quicker (and what's used in the real world).

Apart from that, make sure you know exactly how to handle the maths questions that involve such things as a train leaving point A, going to B, at 60 mph; another train leaving B, going to A, at 80 mph, where will they cross? What distance will the first train be from B when they cross? That sort of thing. It's not rocket science but just make sure you've got the technique weighed off, so you don't have to think about how you calculate the answers. Lots of practice on the 'next in sequence' questions, where they show you weird shapes or variously shaded shapes and you have to determine what the next and/or the next two shapes are in the sequence. There's plenty of IQ books for those questions.

Apart from that, it's exactly as Bad CO says; a good night's sleep beforehand and stay off the booze so your hands aren't shaking when you're doing the hand/eye tests :thumbup:

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Edited to add: make sure you know how to read and interpret the information given on 'basic 6' aircraft panel i.e

Airspeed Indicator Artificial Horizon Altimeter
    Turn & Slip Direction Indicator Vertical Speed Indicator

There are various tests where you have to look at a panel and choose the correct picture of what the aircraft would look like when viewed from outside and vica versa i.e. you're given a picture of an aircraft and you have to choose the correct panel. Much easier if you know how the information is presented without having to look too hard at each instrument (you'll mainly need to look at the artificial horizon and the direction indicator).
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  18. All above advice spot on and congratulations on being in the right place to chase your dream.

As with any exam preparation before the event is the main key, but how you actually approach the exam is also important.

Good night kip cannot be stressed enough
    Do not revise to late the night before, let your brain relax
    In the exam if the questions are waited 5 marks, 10 marks etc., give yourself 10 mins start reading time and 10 mins finish read time, vary depending on length of exam.
    Divide total number of marks by time left, multiply each question by that number that will give you time for each question in mins.
    Be careful of time and stick to time allowed for each question
    Do not panic if you are stuck just move on to next question you will have time to go back

Remember if you had 10 mins for a 10 mark question you will normally get 7 marks in 4 mins, just the way things work out

10 mins start read time allows you to RTFQ and understand plus select the order you will attempt, you do not need to answer in order, get some you really know under your belt first it will help you relax.

10 mins final read allows you to check you have answered all questions, pick up stupid errors

On completion you should know if it went well, go and have a well-deserved beer, then prepare for the next event.

One pusser exam I took I notice in the last 10 min read I had cocked up and missed a 10 mark question, I had time to get some more marks

Good look hope this helps

PPS in maths show all workings, in a 10 mark Q the correct answer may be only worth 3 marks the rest goes on the correct mathematical process
  19. Take it steady, don't panic, and don't forget to moderate your Manc accent, so your future messmates (sorry Wardroom muckers) can understand you.:toothy8:

Good luck
  20. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I have nothing useful to say, just well done and good luck.

You little ******* star. :)
    • Like Like x 1