Anyone here who got commissioned a pilot from AET/M?

wannabeaet

Lantern Swinger
My status: Just started phase 2b at RNAS Yeovilton (815), enjoyed my training so far, think I would enjoy AE work, but want more, want to be a Pilot, and had the idea in my head when I signed on the dotted line last year.

I'm going to get phase 2b out of the way before I start the ball rolling, but obviously haven't got a huge amount of time, having to get it done before 26, i'm now 22.
I am going to speak to the Ratings Careers Advisor next week, and perhaps with my DO, but I'd just like to know what anyone knows of the process of rating to Pilot, hoops I need to jump through, any friendly advice.
I know it's been done plenty of times before, of course 1/3 of Officers were ratings, I've even spoken to a LtCdr who did exactly this, now flying Lynx, though he did it about 20 years ago.
 

slim

War Hero
wannabeaet said:
My status: Just started phase 2b at RNAS Yeovilton (815), enjoyed my training so far, think I would enjoy AE work, but want more, want to be a Pilot, and had the idea in my head when I signed on the dotted line last year.

I'm going to get phase 2b out of the way before I start the ball rolling, but obviously haven't got a huge amount of time, having to get it done before 26, i'm now 22.
I am going to speak to the Ratings Careers Advisor next week, and perhaps with my DO, but I'd just like to know what anyone knows of the process of rating to Pilot, hoops I need to jump through, any friendly advice.
I know it's been done plenty of times before, of course 1/3 of Officers were ratings, I've even spoken to a LtCdr who did exactly this, now flying Lynx, though he did it about 20 years ago.

If you want it.................Go for it. Don't let anyone put you off
 

wannabeaet

Lantern Swinger
Thanks, I'm determined that I'm definitely going to go for it, I've pretty much done the best I can do so far at my course, received recognition from my old WO in HMS Sultan, got fast-tracked, and I aim to continue my efforts.
That way I can say, if anyone can do it, I can.
It's gonna be an arduous process, and I know that there's every chance it won't come to fruition, but at least at the end of that, I'll be able to go to plan B, or even C (there is a plan B & C) and know I tried my best - ding!
 

scouse

War Hero
slim said:
wannabeaet said:
My status: Just started phase 2b at RNAS Yeovilton (815), enjoyed my training so far, think I would enjoy AE work, but want more, want to be a Pilot, and had the idea in my head when I signed on the dotted line last year.

I'm going to get phase 2b out of the way before I start the ball rolling, but obviously haven't got a huge amount of time, having to get it done before 26, i'm now 22.
I am going to speak to the Ratings Careers Advisor next week, and perhaps with my DO, but I'd just like to know what anyone knows of the process of rating to Pilot, hoops I need to jump through, any friendly advice.
I know it's been done plenty of times before, of course 1/3 of Officers were ratings, I've even spoken to a LtCdr who did exactly this, now flying Lynx, though he did it about 20 years ago.

If you want it.................Go for it. Don't let anyone put you off
:wink: :wink: The Main Man Slim !! remember?? ( SPIV LEAHY did his" Pre Flight Check " with his black silver ended walking stick :roll: )Captain Alan Leahy CBE DSC RN
Joined the Royal Navy in 1943 as Naval Airman 2nd Class. he was trained by the US Navy as a fighter pilot flying Corsairs. Later he qualified as an Air Weapons Officer. He has served on the aircraft carriers Implacable, Illustrious, Theseus, Vengeance, Glory, Bulwark, Ark Royal, Victorious and Hermes. He commanded 738 (Seahawks), 803 (Scimitars) 700 Z and 809 (Buccaneers) and has flown 35 different types of aircraft. In 1953 he was awarded the DSC for operations over Korea flying Sea Furies in 801 Squadron from HMS Glory. He was the leader of the all red Royal Navy Seahawk aerobatic team of five aircraft at the 1957 Farnborough Air Show. He was made MBE in 1958. Amongst a variety of appointments he was Director of the Naval Air Warfare Division of the Naval Staff when the Royal Navy got approval for the Sea Harrier. His final appointment was as Commodore Clyde in command of HMS Neptune and the Faslane Submarine Base. He was appointed ADC in 1977 and promoted to CBE in 1978.
 

NoFaultFound

Badgeman
Mate it can be done if you have the skills and dedication. I have two friends from Tiffs course one was Avionics the other a Grubber, both went the officer route and became pilots. One is now a Rotary Wing Test pilot and the other is a Squadron CO.
 

Waspie

War Hero
NoFaultFound said:
Mate it can be done if you have the skills and dedication. I have two friends from Tiffs course one was Avionics the other a Grubber, both went the officer route and became pilots. One is now a Rotary Wing Test pilot and the other is a Squadron CO.

Very similar tales.

If you want it bad enough just put the time in and your efforts should be rewarded.
 

wannabeaet

Lantern Swinger
Cheers for the encouragement. It's really nice to hear that people do know a few people who have done it, just gives me hope, as it just all seems so far-fetched!
I've done pretty well in my course so far, I'm currently potential fast-track status and am confident that that will come to fruition, just a couple more essays and a presentation to give, but obviously before I get a killicks course place I'll be aiming towards this commission.

Well I don't think there's really much more to be said on this, unless anyone can think of any people I want to be speaking to, or AP's to perhaps be reading, maybe some friendly tips?
Hopefully I can revisit this thread in a couple years time from BRNC :1:
 

Kyle.L.19

Lantern Swinger
wannabeaet

Let me know how you get on, qualified as an aet 4 months ago. On harriers.

Im thinking of doing the same thing.

Get in touch mate.
 

slim

War Hero
Kyle.L.19 said:
wannabeaet

Let me know how you get on, qualified as an aet 4 months ago. On harriers.

Im thinking of doing the same thing.

Get in touch mate.[/quote]

Look old boy, if you wish to become an orrificer then you cannot use terminology like Get in Touch Mate.
Please rephrase your last to something acceptable like:
Contact me soonest old bean.
 

Kyle.L.19

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
Kyle.L.19 said:
wannabeaet

Let me know how you get on, qualified as an aet 4 months ago. On harriers.

Im thinking of doing the same thing.

Get in touch mate.[/quote]

Look old boy, if you wish to become an orrificer then you cannot use terminology like Get in Touch Mate.
Please rephrase your last to something acceptable like:
Contact me soonest old bean.

To be honest, i doubt i'll even get past the interview stage with my manc accent haha.

Its worth a go my old bean. :wink:
 

BirdsAffirm

Midshipman
You're going to need more than luck - whilst I join the others in wishing you every success...you'll also need the right educational qualifications, near perfect medical condition, age on your side, aptitude, ability, unwavering enthusiasm and dedication and about 10 years of perfect performance in the training environment - for a start.
 
Top