Anyone here done Local Foriegn Service?

creeper

Badgeman
CO's approval signal has been returned to drafty - just waiting for the draft order JPA thingie to appear.
The unit I'm joining has started to send me info so it looks like it's on.

rictic

Badgeman
Re: Anyone here done Local Foreign Service?

TheCommunicator said:
Plug travel adaptors - buy loads of these, saves you hours of changing plugs!

Thats it for now! Hope this helps - if you have any specific questions ask away
I used to live in Thailand and on ocasion had to go to Singapore for work . Rather than mess about too much with adaptors I brought a multi point extension lead from Thailand and fitted a UK style mains plug for use in Singapore. I could then plug in my Thai plugs in the extension. I also had aUK style multi extension lead with a two pin Thai plug for use with UK plugs in Thailand.
doing it this way is fine short term but not necessarily the best thing long term for everything in the house. UK fused plugs are great though on the safety side in that they are fused.

jungle_jim

Lantern Swinger

creeper said:
Lingyai said:
Best LFS I ever heard of were for Comms/Wtr/Diver. Pick yer branch, take yer chance. :wink:
I think mine is the best yet, I'll let you all know what it is when I see a draft order :lol:

come on, we are all waiting, any clues?

Chaz

MIA
I came back from an LFS two years ago, was in JSSU(CYPRUS) formerly JSSU(Ayios Nikolaos). Its a huge step and one you need to be well prepared for. If theres any burning questions/queries that I may be able help on then drop me a line. The RNOSU at Nelson needed alot to be desired when I went down there, have no idea what they are like now but I doubt they can be any worse!

agrippa

Badgeman
I'm out here on a LFS with the Comms man. in a nutshell, Keep all reciepts as it's amazing what you can claim back.
If your furniture goes before you check the BRs as I'm sure you can stay in hotel, cheers pusser. Where are you looking at?
Gripps

TomO

Badgeman

[I think mine is the best yet, I'll let you all know what it is when I see a draft order :lol]
come on, we are all waiting, any clues

1st guess...... within 200 miles of Port Canaveral.

Salty-Dog

War Hero

terry_rice said:
jungle_jim said:
creeper said:
Lingyai said:
Best LFS I ever heard of were for Comms/Wtr/Diver. Pick yer branch, take yer chance. :wink:
I think mine is the best yet, I'll let you all know what it is when I see a draft order :lol:

come on, we are all waiting, any clues?

answers on a postcard please!!

Terry

The answers on here:

http://www.rumration.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=6672.html

The lucky Barsteward!!!!

creeper

Badgeman
Yep, that the job, 2 to 3 years at Creech AFB, living in the suberbs of Las Vegas with the wife and sprog.
I think I'm gonna need to buy me a Mustang - quite fancy the '07 Shelby GT500.

Have a nice day.

C

HookieBuntz

Lantern Swinger
Creeper,

I had 30 months in Norfolk VA 96 - 98.

You will enjoy every minute of your time out there, ensure you get out and see something each weekend. The time will fly past.

If you have the same sort of joining as I did, you will fly into Washington DC on a Friday and have the weekend to yourself (probably in the Embassy Suites hotel). Use this time to get acclimatized and take the family around DC.

Monday morning, off to the Embassy (take the family if you want but I left mine at the hotel), have a briefing and collect lots of money.

Back to hotel and onward to one of the two airports in DC to fly to your draft.

Arrive in area, met by your sponsor and normally taken to a hotel for the first couple of weeks (think you can have upto one month in a hotel although they try to get you into a house within two weeks).

House hunting, car buying, keeping the family happy, oh and dont forget the following Monday (7 days after briefing at embassy) you will be starting work!!

It is essential that the wife has a car, make sure she is happy it is one great weight off the mind and it allows you to work. Buy two good local map books or satnav for both vehicles.

Find the house and then its replacing the furniture your predecessor had. You wont be able to replace the lot, the embassy may be able to tell you what you can/cant replace while in there. Things have a lifespan.

Anything else give me a shout and will try to help you

HookieBuntz

Latest Threads