Anyone got any tips for SA80?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by gleaveage, Dec 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. if anyone could give me any sensible, practical tips for marksmanship i would be greatful. I have never handled a rifle in my life and i would be delighted if i could beat my booty mate.
  2. u will learn all week 4 :thumright:
  3. Relax, take your time, breathe, line up the sights as you are taught, squeeze the trigger dont snatch at it, and do not anticipate the Loud bang/Kick.

put them all together and you will be a good shot.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Throw it at him, matelots can't shoot..................
  5. Breathe in big deep breaths slowly to keep steady and relaxed.
    Don't snatch at the trigger, pull back gradually so it's a smooth motion.
    Don't panic, you can afford to miss alot so don't get flustered.

I'd never shot one before and i got 49/55 :( damn and blasted 1 shot!! but i passed easilly, so you can do it too.

It's all rather basic, just stay still, breathe slowly, stay calm and aim down the middle :) they'll teach you all you need to know in week 4 as already said.
  6. No thats what you did with the old A1 when you got threaders with it due to the shit mags and constant stoppages.
  7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I know, heap of shite, even endangered yourself clubbing the natives with it incase you had an ND and shot yourself, fires pointy bits and jack just cant be trusted with guns, I suggest a game of paper, stone, scissors. The only harm jack could come to is a strained wrist, occupational hazard really.
  8. The four markmanship priniciples, which I presume wil be outched on during raleigh:
    Position and hold (of the rifle) must be correct.
    The weapon must be pointed towards the target without any undue physical effort.
    Sight picture and sight alignment must be correct.
    The shot must be released and followed through without any disturbance to the position.
    You will be taught how to fire from diferent positions, but I would bet that you will not see weapons ranges very often throughout your naval career. Even TA soldiers see weapons ranges a lot more often than matelots do, so your bootie mate should (unless he is a shite shot) be able to shoot more accurately than you, due to having more practice. God help the booties if he cant shoot better than a matelot!
  9. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

End with the hole to the front. Put bullets in it to make it go bang. Keep at least one eye open. Point at the target and do not get upset if you stand up with a loaded weapon and turn round to then find the Gunnery Officer hitting you on the helmet and pushing you around towards the butts. Then do not cry if he tears a strip off you. It is all part of the rich tapestry of life and I, sorry he, will be nice as pie to you later.

I think we can all agree that AB XXXXXXX will not be doing that again.

Rule One.
    Listen to the coach (each shoot you go on there should be a trained coach who will take you through the basics from dry shooting to live fire - they may be an AB or an Officer doesn't matter they only care about you improving)

Rule Two
    Be gentle with the trigger, if you snatch it then the barrel will move. Squeeze each round out.

Rule Three
    Control your breathing. If you are nervous or find it all going wrong breath in through the nose for 4 secs, hold for 4 secs out through the mouth for 4 secs. Repeat for twice. This will bring your breathing and heart rate down. Safeguard on that one.

Rule Four.
    Do not be frighten of the weapon. It is an extension of you, it will do exactly what you want it to do. It should never be in charge of you.

Rule Five
    If you are unsure ask the staff. We are there to help you - we have trained (well most of us have) in coaching techniques for shooting and want you to succeed. If the range staff aren't doing that PM me because as a PWO(A) I want to know why. It might be you that is guarding my gangway when someone has a pot shot and I want you to take the first shot and drop them.

Don't worry about it - shooting is great fun.
  10. Dam! I was going to say something like that.

11. Remember the principles of naval marksmanship:

Quantity, not quality.

12. agreed!!! just chuck the rifle at the target, then run over and pick it up and repeat process 54 more times and hey presto!!! you'll be the ultimate marksman ;)
  13. OK so now we have had all the sensible advice here is the ultimate tip for the SA80 from someone who remembers the predecessor.

The best thing that can be done with the SA80 is melt it down and use the metal to make a decent weapon like the SLR.
  14. The sa80 mark 2 is actually a good weapon. Very few stoppages, unlike the a1.
  15. Yeah we got that thanks. Ever use the A1??
  16. I agree with you as far as comparing the SA80A1 with the SLR. The A1 was a bag of shite and i would have had my SLR returned anytime. However the reports on the A2 are favourable so in this case you are incorrect!!
  17. Just before I left the Mob, they started giving me lessons on compartment clearing with an SMG when I was Duty Watch. The only thought going through my brain all through the lessons was "Surely, this is why we employ Bootnecks?"
  18. Decent? An SLR,my ar*e, nothing compares to the Lee Enfield .303 with that super sexy bolt action!!! Not that I could shoot a sh1t anyway, no matter what I was using. May as well have used my long black screwdriver. I'd have gotten nearer the target with that!
    Sterling sub machine gun with 30 rounds in the magazine. How many hit the target? Well 1 finger on your hand to count them was too much.

I was a greenie, not a bloody pongoe!
  19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Whilst it may come as a surprise, the vast majority of new joiners have not handled an SA80 or had marksmanship experience either.

Granted there's the odd 'sea sprout' or other types of former cadets, but the assumption when you join is that you know nothing on the subject.

With regard beating your Royal Marine friend, it may hearten you to learn that one of the few things feared by a Royal is a matelot with a loaded weapon.

The sensible, practical advice is simply do as you are taught as otherwise it's rather difficult to practice before you actually get given one to play with.
  20. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Play with? It's not a feckin' toy... :shock: :lol: