Anyone fancy project managers role on the new Carriers??

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by ukdaytona, Oct 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got the following email from a job agency, I have no marine engineering experience or an engineering degree but hey, never mind....

A vacancy has arisen for a Project Manager to manage the build of units for the carrier project. This is a key post where the post-holder will report direct to the Shipbuilding Director.

Key responsibilities include the following:-

Main Tasks

§ Maintaining close links with the client management team to identify and mitigate risks and maximise profit opportunities.

§ Setting production performance targets and project team objectives to ensure that overall project targets are achieved.

§ Ensuring that sufficient control mechanisms and performance indicators are in place to measure performance and highlight variances throughout the execution of the contract. Monitoring production performance through the project control mechanisms and proactively intervening to correct deviations from the planned time, cost and quality.

§ Organising, co-ordinating, and controlling the project team, through the SPSE, to maximise the teams effectiveness in meeting the project objectives. Furthering the development of individual members of the project team to enhance their current effectiveness and maximise their future potential.

§ Identifying and managing the project risks to minimise the effects on project performance. The project manager will negotiate a risk contingency with the Executive during the project target setting meeting. The Project Manager will be expected to manage the project to a successful conclusion, utilising the risk contingency only where absolutely necessary.

§ Leading or be a prominent member of the bid team, ensuring that all plans and documentation required to support the bid contain sufficient detail to minimise project risks, are accurate in content and produced in a timely manner.

§ Managing and amending the refit specification to include changes resulting from emergent and additional work packages, with due consideration of any increased risk to the project objectives. Approving all changes to the project for Labour, Materials and Subcontract.

§ Reviewing project monitoring/control documentation analysing trends and forecasting project outturns. The Project Manager will create reports and forecasts for the Executive throughout the execution phase of the project to provide visibility of project issues/performance within the company's accounts.

§ Develop key project staff to be able to fulfil the role of Project Manager in the future.

Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience

§ Engineering Degree in a relevant subject or equivalent
    § Minimum 10 years experience with Marine Projects in project/production roles at Senior Level
    § Able to lead a team with confidence and present to customers and at board level
    § Financially astute with an analytical approach

This is a 3 month contract, £250-280 / day

2. "This is a 3 month contract..."

Crikey, they can build these ships in three months? Who would have thought eh?

3. Kitchen units? My history with flat packs is not exactly glorious but I'm happy to supervise. I might even start by reading the instructions for a change.

4. For a Project Manager role that salary isn't really that great, especially for a temp contract of 3 months.

I used to work in HR for WHS, we were paying well over that!

5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Which just demonstrates how little value is ascribed to project management (and engineering) a discipline which if incorrectly practiced will result in cost and schedule over-runs combined with final delivered quality being sub-optimal (a long winded way of saying "over-priced, over-schedule and under-performing").

6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Looks like a subby rate, going rate for this low level project management is £350 per day. Oil and gas industry with primavera and APM Certified would be about £80 an hour upwards for the same level and complexity of project.

7. Is that £250 seven days a week or £250 for five days a week in this 3 months?

Nutty

8. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Could be any of the above but it will be working days. If I summarise a project I have to bid for how many days my services are required and cost that into the proposal. I have 5 projects on the go at present, I work the number of days that I bid for, ie I may work Monday on one project, Tuesday on another, Wednesday and Thursday on another etc, you get the idea or it may be 8 days one month and so on. I'm on a salary but my company charge my services at a contract rate which they obviously charge depending on how many days I actually had to work on that project + expenses.

I assume this is a short project and has been calculated in at 3 months with a full time PM, but the description above goes some way to explaining how the industry works.

9. Thanks CT that makes sense not usual on RR

Nutty

10. Why dont they advertise for a Project manager. For CATs/Arr/Wires :thumright: Surely got to have them???? :salut:

11. Why on earth would I want to take a pay cut?

I'll stick with the NHS, thanks for the offer.