Anyone Every Studied or Trained Whilst In The Navy?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by creddly, Feb 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm bored (Having no job will do that to you) and I've got nothing new to report so I thought I'd make a new post.

Hope this is the right place.

Well, for me, on this site I have read about all the advantages you read about on the website and in the booklet, like traveling, pay, job saftey, etc... bar one. Nobody ever mentions the help with costs for extra training.

So if anyone wants to join in (I can't not even filled out an application yet), please put down any training or courses you've done while in the Navy, to take advantage of the help with costs. These can be anything that'll help you on civvie street, or anything you had just always wanted to learn for the fun of it, from basic qualifications to the big name qualifications, from qualifications that help you get on in the Navy to the plain opposite of anything to do with the Navy. I'm just interested to know... :grin:

I know if I get in and pass the basic and trade training, I'll be straight onto my G.C.S.Es!

2. Loads of sailing qualifications.

That's yacht and dinghy sailing, not bridge watchkeeping stuff.

Used them in a civvy job.

3. I did my ONC in Telecommunications at Salisbury tech. Two years day release, most of it covered by an educational grant from the RN

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

GCSE's Air Navigation, Meteorology, BSc(Open), MathDip, CertEd (Post Compulsory Education) :grin:

5. Shitload of NVQs', every powerboating certificate known to man (courtesy of royal) cheers easy.
    All free, hmmmmmm
    Oh yeah, nearly forgot the most useful, a day course at college in GUZZ on how to build scaffolding towers...

6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Oh yeh forgot NVQ level 4 in Management (useless) and Mountain Leader(Summer) (usefull!)

There's plenty of financial assistance and some time off to gain Quals but you will still have to put in a lot of your own time and effort.

7. Loads and loads of civvy accredited courses (RYA, FInstLM, CIPD, ECDL etc etc) and now doing an OU degree.

There are plenty of courses and qualificatinos if you are prepared to go after them.

8. ECDL, a fistful of language qualifications that are recognised by most govt departments but I doubt by anyone else, NVQ 4 in management and am working on an OU degree.

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Loads and loads of nvq's which I didn't even have to take any exams for, Got asked by my very nice sargeant, when I declined I was then told! so said yes, then the nice sargeant said "good lad you've just passed them all, who was I to argue?

HGV1 and PSV, never used the PSV but HGV does come in handy.

10. Good topic, can't wait to see what others say. I'd take advantage too!

11. Thanks for the replies everyone!

By the look of the replies, I'd say there's almost nothing you can't take in the Navy - Power boating certificates, Mountain Leading Certs to GCSEs! Wow!

Lol Snappy don't you mean "I'll" take advantage? You're in girl (You lucky thing lol)

I think I asked this on another thread, you must not have seen it - When is your joining date Snappy?

Oh and funny enough, there was a job on the JobCentre screens for a "Phlebotomist" (Sp?) and I thought, if I had that and got in the Navy, wouldn't that be a coincidence? You needed to be computer literate though and even though I'm a whiz on the computer, you probably need qualifications, like everything - which is why I'm off to the library next week!

12. BEng, Masters degree, umpteen project management, programme management and risk management courses. Chartered Engineer, Chartered Manager. Day skipper, Expedition leader, rifle and pistol coach.

The funding and opportunity is there, but it does take quite a bit of work for some of them.

13. I did say, Creddly, twice! 27th May! :)

You don't need qualifications for my job! I think they asked for GCSE maths, English, science at grade C and above... but i don't have maths (and they know). They just gave me a test before my interview which i was ashamed to get only 99% on (it was a very easy test, i messed up on the maths question). If the computers are like ours, you don't need any computer qualifications. You'll find that if you got that job, most of your colleagues would be much older and they get along ok. Go for it!

Just a tip though- the JobCentre is a very bad place to look for jobs. If you want that job, have a look on this site, register and search. You only fill out one application form and you can apply for every job in the country if you want. Do that, you'll have good results i bet. I know the NHS might not be what you want, but i do know you want a job, some money and to look like you've got some experience.

14. Lol sorry Snappy! I don't know how I missed it!

27th of this Month or March? lol

Haha, another coincidence - I filled out that NHS form yesterday, got to the end and it asks for references, it says you can't have friends or family. It's got to be your last 2 jobs or a teacher or some sort.

Well my father was my last employer and it wasn't even an official employment, it was cash in hand.

And the job before that was the Army lol 3 years ago!

It's a shame as well because a school deputy headmaster lives next door but he never taught me for a single lesson and he wasn't my form tutor. He wasn't even my head of year! Just deputy head-master! Oh wait, he did cover my class for one lesson! Just one! So asking him is out!

The only thing I can think of, is when I attend the library now, if I can pass a couple of them IT qualifications, can you ask the course tutor? Would he count because it's only a basic course, sort of thing. On the course, I can gain CLAiT, CLAiT plus, ECDL, ECDL Plus and ECDL Advanced.

Good luck again anyway Snappy! :wink:

15. Wow you should change your middle name to "Quals"!

Bloody hell I bet you've got Certs coming out your ears!

16. May! May! 27th! :wink:

References can be a pain, but yes, i'd say a course tutor would give one. Anyone from the school (either those who taught you, know you, or a headteacher who has access to records), and the Army would be fine too i think. Don't let it put you off, they just need to check you are who you say you are really.

Definitely go for a course or two!

17. Yes but can he get the top off a Jam Jar?

18. Chief Get the lid of this jam jar will you, there's a good chap

See, it's easy ;)

19. Well done,have a Certificate of Delegation!PMSL!

20. BLOODY HELL!!! I need to open my eyes!

Right, May 27th!!! I'll remember that Snappy! lol.

It almost looks as though I was winding you up asking - I'm sure I've got selective viewing and hearing.

So how do I go about getting a reference from the Army? I was only in for 6 weeks though!? lol

Would there be any way to get one, but be able to keep it so I don't have to get one from the Army every time I apply for a job?

So you're also saying I can get a reference from my ex-Deputy head next door? That would be great because he's a really nice bloke too.

AndyM what are you implying? That qualifications are useless? :shock: