Anyone else have 65534 mesages in their empty inbox?

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by chieftiff, Jun 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I'm sure this has happened before but I'll be buggered if I can find the thread about it, does anyone else currently have rather a lot of messages in their inbox even when it has been emptied? Is there a reason and what will make them go away?
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Hmm, not this callsign... :?
  3. sorry cheif, i just like writing messages and get carried away.
  4. I'm afraid that this is a known issue with the software we use. Its just one of those things you'll have to live with I'm afraid!
  5. No pleasing some folk :bball:

Ya drip when you get mail and you drip when you don't get mail.

Anyway what was the mails content------anything interesting :thanks: :thanks:

:nemo: :nemo:
  6. Chiefy, Im sure you of all people know that 1024x64 = 65536, or 64k, as for what takes up the other 2k who knows, but it sounds like some mail bot somewhere that measures the size of your inbox is basing its calculation on a bum nummer, one line of code with an asterix somewhere I shouldn't wonder... set the interns on it BB software house....
  7. I can read that, and I can understand the words, but I have no idea what you just said!
  8. I'm afraid the problem is that the site software can't count ...... in this case it has subtracted 1 from zero and got 665535 .....
  9. You mean you're using software designed and written by Alistair Darling??? o_O

10. A typical problem for computers.... as they cannot readily express a less than zero number within a conventional register, when you give them one you end up with a digital mindfart...... To get round it we sometimes let them count from -127 to +128 and multiples thereof, or use digital logic to invert the number so we can manipulate it, but its an artifice of software usually, so when you forget this as you program in a compiler that does everything for you (link/compile all in one) you often end up with a number that doesn't make sense in cartesian math, you have to add it like the computer would try to with its instruction set or boolean function. You're supposed to define your Algorithmic state machine before you let it loose in software as a finite or other state machine, but so many are used as modules or components of bigger bits of software like databases and forums, they end up doing things they were not designed to handle.

Rosina, dont worry about it, right now in Bombay someone with a PhD is being shouted at to fix it for the price of a big issue... I wish he'd fix my memory leaks and infinite loop crash....
  11. Nice One Steve :thumright:

Probably had some help from his master in addition !!