Anyone else going through the recruitment process losing interest?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by pittabread96, Nov 25, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently waiting for the results of my medical and because it's taken so long to get this far, I'm very quickly losing interest. Anyone else suffered from this and could give some tips? I'd be very grateful!
  2. You obviously don't want it enough then. If you do, you'll wait.
  3. No one can help you gain interest, if you have lost interest imagine what 9 months at sea will do to yah? All I have done is work and try forget about it for the time being and crack on. 3 years later and I'm almost there :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I can't believe that with the manning problems the navy is having, it's taking 3 years to get in!!
    When I applied it was 10 months from first setting foot in the recruiting office until I started Raleigh, despite having to have extra medical checks because of a heart murmur. That was 24 years ago now as I retired last year after 22 years.
    I can't say I blame people for loosing interest over such a long wait to get in, I think if I had waited so long, I probably would not have joined!
    I enjoyed most of my time and honestly sometimes wish I hadn't left.
    Stick with it and I really hope the recruiters pull there fingers out and get a move on for all who are waiting, if they don't, the manning crisis will just get worse and worse IMOA!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I'll have been in the process just over 5years when I start INT.

Never lost interest, though at times the Legion looked promising.
    If you're tempted to wrap now I'm inclined to agree with a previous post; what happens on a rough day whether it be on training or whilst away from home?

Use this time to REALLY work on your fitness, go back to school and get some extra qualifications, learn some skills that will be useful during your 18year career (I myself have been learning morse and pashtu).
  6. 5 years? Jesus! I applied in April and will be in March 1st! All depends on the job i suppose. I think for me it is the oposite, rather than losing interest it is making me want it more.
  7. Its been a very long winded process, during this time i have gotten engaged and had two job promotions with a few holidays :) i did, however change from WS to CIS during this time and the difference in waiting was 1 month.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Few branches take more than a year to join (WS, AH mainly). The issue is training capacity.

For the first time in eons, we are actually hoping to "grow" the Navy. The fact the recruiting field force has been reduced by 25% with a 40% increase in manning targets is neither here nor there, obviously. ;)

With regard the OP losing interest, I have every sympathy. The medical contract stipulates that absolutely no-one should be permitted to join with a medical condition which is a bar to entry and in order to achieve this, time is not a consideration for the contracted company.

Unfortunately the Medical Examiners are not permitted to use their professional judgement or experience to mitigate risk. The only good news is that the terms of the contract are under review.

There are a few tips and pointers on how to avoid delays & speed up the process here:

Bottom line is to follow the advice in the medical appointment letter & provide adequate documentation upfront.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The medical company that is used is a shambles, just need to keep your head up and wait for clearance! You are not the only one that has had a long wait or issues with your application
  10. I was made TMU'd on the 10th October, my GP sent a letter away on the 28th October. Still waiting for Capita to get back to my AFCO. It is quite frustrating with how long it takes but I know it'll be worth it!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Very often the GP surgery may simply send an invoice for payment in advance (PIA) of supplying the required information. If this happens it can take up to 8 weeks for payment. Once the information is actually received it is reviewed by the Occupational Health guru, usually within two weeks & then your AFCO will be notified to book you a follow-up medical examination.

It is worth checking with your GP surgery to check they actually provided the information requested or whether they have just sent an invoice.
  12. I've been waiting over three years, although i did have a bad break on my arm and had to wait a year for it to heal! The best way to get by is to just not think about it, just try to enjoy the freedom you have at the moment. Now three years later I've got my PRNC in feb and go to basic in april so its defiantly worth the wait!
  13. What date in april is your basic?
  14. 26th, yours?
  15. Same mate!
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Contrary to popular misconception, even after joining-up, we don't lock you up on a ship and lob-away the key for 18 years or to age 40. They even give you leave and stuff nowadays. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  17. You have no idea how many times I've watched Caribbean patrol:mad:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. look forward to meeting you! your not joining an AET by any chance?

Think that came out wrong! what i mean is compared to what im doing now which is part time work and keeping fit; there will be a lot more going on :)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. However my granddad was put in military prison for punching an officer, least to say i wont be following in his footsteps! ;)